Hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slo-ride, those look a little different then the most recent guards out there. They may possibly be the gen 1 handguards which are open on the ends. Call them & tell them exactly what you're looking for. I am sure that a lot of FJR folks have ordered from them. I'm pretty sure that they can supply you with the hardware & all at a much more reasonable amount than ordering from a dealer.

Kenpo, I just took a look at these using Google tech. Interesting idea... & like you said, this will offer a different option for those looking.

My personal opinion is that I don't like the fact that I'd be advertising for Powermadd... but otherwise, these look like they'd do the job.

Good post, man!

Heidi

Well Shit! I gotta get me some new glasses. Coulda' swore this was something about handjobs :dribble:
color me embareassed!

:jester:
Could it be that it is your eyesight as a result of what you thought the thread was about? :rolleyes:

What length bolt are you peeps using for the V-Strom handguards in place of the OEM bolts?

doctorj

I called my local dealer to get a quote on the Vstrom guards and hardware as listed on War Childs website (https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30). The hand guards were only $18.00 each but the hardware cost $55.00 for a total of $91.00! Yikes :blink: Surely there is cheaper hardware we can use. I mean, this part 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever was $14.00 each! Is this the price that everyone is paying or is my dealer bending me over?

I bought every piece of the set from Xtreme Powersports Flemington Yamaha in Jersey. Total shipped to Columbus; $83.60.

The special bolts are important because they're threaded to receive the top screws and they have a tall nut. I chose these guys because the prices for the washers and nuts were in line. Other places were charging $2.95 per washer!

I thought it was important to get the right stuff but you could do just as well just buying the guards and the special bolts, and then the rest at the hardware store. Just make sure it stainless.

I bought the entire 'dealer' kit to install the guards on a VS1000. $68 CANADIAN. Apparently the kit isn't shown on the fiche at Bike Bandit, but they do have it. Lots cheaper than buying everything seperate.

I found the Vstrom hand guards. Can someone confirm that these are the correct ones before I order?
Thanks!
Well, this is interesting. In a "Set" form, the number is 57300-27821-291. But this is the set for the DL650. The set will require a little trimming on the left guard due to the 650 having a clutch cable instead of hydraulic. I thought there used to be 2 separate sets that could be ordered. Anyway, now the website only shows the 650 handguards kit as an available accessory. It kinda implies that the 1000 comes with em. MSRP for the kit is $49.95. They will fit, cause this is exactly what I had ordered when I installed them on mine. You will have to trim a little off the left one, though. 'Course, the set comes with all the hardware and stuff.

edit: Looking at your link, those are the ones for the 650. They don't show a "kit" for the 1000. And the page says this "kit" will let you get handguards "like" the 1000.

Anyway, they will work. I had 'em on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been debating on getting a set of hand guards now that the temps have been dropping at night. I was at a local dealer today and picked up the Powermadd ones. I was even able to get them in silver with black trim to match my '03. :yahoo:
Installation wasn't too bad, just need to dremmel off the little spacer tabs on the brake and clutch reseviors to get enough clearance.

They seen to work pretty well, need to wait til it gets a little colder to see what kind of difference they make.

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Kenporider.

I put the V STROM guards on an '03 and now on my '06 FJR and have driven in a lot of rain and cold. I think they are really great!

Rides Alone

Call Guru Glenn at FJRGoodies (Desert Valley Powersports): (509) 786-2383

They keep the Handguard kits in stock. $69, IIRC.

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.
poke.gif

Here are some pics

A view from the front

1224090172.jpg

A closer view

1224090170.jpg

1224090168.jpg

Removable piece for warmer weather

1224090166.jpg

Without the center piece to allow air to the hands

1224090163.jpg

So far they're working well. The Vstrom guards are a little larger and I'm sure provide more protection, but I just like the way these look better.

Call Guru Glenn at FJRGoodies (Desert Valley Powersports): (509) 786-2383 They keep the Handguard kits in stock. $69, IIRC.
FJRGoodies --> [SIZE=14pt]+1![/SIZE]

First time I ordered them I did it through the local bike shop. Fiddly order getting part numbers right for all the little bolts and such. When I put them on my Dad's bike I found out FJRGoodies had added them to their selection. Just call tell em you want the kit. Wait a bit and you get a package with the whole works in it. Definitely the way to go!

I think the instructions were already posted. But here's how to install them:

VStrom HandGuard Install

VStrom HandGuard Install for AE Models

Those vented handguards look interesting. But I have never found my hands to be too warm with the VStrom items. Hint: If your hands feel warm in hot weather, ditch the black gloves and get a pair of light colored gloves. It'll make a bigger difference than you think.

- Colin

Latest posts