Hand Warmers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Does anyone have those Atv/Motorcycle hand warmers that go over the handlebars that you stick your whole hand into? I,ve seen them on ATVs and wonder if they would work ok on the bike? Looks like you stick your whole hand into it as it fits over the bars and covers the brake and clutch handles. Anyone know what I mean? do they work?

While you are waiting for the folks to answer your questions, copy and paste this line, including the quote marks into the search box: "hippo hands" and browse through some of the relevant threads.

While you are waiting for the folks to answer your questions, copy and paste this line, including the quote marks into the search box: "hippo hands" and browse through some of the relevant threads.

Yep, I remember those from ads in the 70s era Cycle magazine. They must still work. ;)

They work. At least, on a snowmachine. I figger if they work there a scoot is no problem.

I'm not that dedicated though. If it's to cold for grip warmers and heated liners. I'm out.

Yeah I use them with grip heaters when it gets below 40. One thing I had to do isto have something to keep them from putting pressure on the brake lever at speed. Folks in our riding group said my brake light was on. a 15 degree box wrench on the helmet peg solved the problem.

I have them and they work great, you have to be comfortable riding without looking at your bar controls, I got the one made from Watershead in OR.the same one the motorofficer uses, they are pricy $180.00, I found some from Altrider in Seattle, they are made for ATV and stiffer so they stay open. You neeed to do a little mod to open up to fit over the brake/clutch res, they are only $25.00. I like them because I can wear summer gloves with them and the heated grips work a lot better without the wind blowing on your hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet with heated grips those would be like a couple of handlebar ovens. Mmmmm nice and warm. Ok back to work

Joe

I bought the $9 four wheeler/ATV ones at Bi-mart (Wal-Mart has similar ones)and use them over my handlebars with no problem. They are a snug fit, but work great.

I have them and they work great, you have to be comfortable riding without looking at your bar controls, I got the one made from Watershead in OR.the same one the motorofficer uses, they are pricy $180.00, I found some from Altrider in Seattle, they are made for ATV and stiffer so they stay open. You neeed to do a little mod to open up to fit over the brake/clutch res, they are only $25.00. I like them because I can wear summer gloves with them and the heated grips work a lot better without the wind blowing on your hands.
Like these on my bike.

DSCN4712.jpg

Kinda ugly but when it's,

DSCN4697-1.jpg

Who care?

Have a pair of cheapo QuadBoss and they work great. Keeps your hands much warmer and as others mentioned you can use lighter gloves with heated grips. To reduce the chance of an errant brake light, make a stand off from the bar end weight to hold the mitt away from the brake lever.

For cold weather riding they are a worthwhile investment.

--G

Have a pair of cheapo QuadBoss and they work great. Keeps your hands much warmer and as others mentioned you can use lighter gloves with heated grips. To reduce the chance of an errant brake light, make a stand off from the bar end weight to hold the mitt away from the brake lever.

For cold weather riding they are a worthwhile investment.

--G
I got a pair of Blk QuadBoss from AltRider for $25.15 out the door,, cheap and effective

Does anyone have those Atv/Motorcycle hand warmers that go over the handlebars that you stick your whole hand into? I,ve seen them on ATVs and wonder if they would work ok on the bike? Looks like you stick your whole hand into it as it fits over the bars and covers the brake and clutch handles. Anyone know what I mean? do they work?
They work very well, I love 'em, and have used them 12 months/year for a few hundred thousand miles. With heated grips, you can use lighter gloves for better control feel when traction is less than ideal (snow, mud). In any conditions, they will keep your hands warmer and drier, more easily.

To keep them from backing into the levers at speed, add a set of handguards from a V-Strom or (maybe, experiment pending, and probably expensive) a Super Tenere. The original Hippo Hands don't have much room around the control switches, and can be difficult to get an ideal fit, but work well enough. The Moto Mitts are very expensive ($200!), but have nice waterproof dual zippers on two tracks along the top, which gives more flexibiltiy to fit them around everything that's mounted to the bars. They also have much more room around, and therefore, better access to, those switches.

John Ryan

They work. At least, on a snowmachine. I figger if they work there a scoot is no problem.

I'm not that dedicated though. If it's to cold for grip warmers and heated liners. I'm out.

I already have grip warmers. They,re great for keeping your hands warm but do nothing for your fingertips

Like these on my bike.

DSCN4712.jpg

Kinda ugly but when it's,

DSCN4697-1.jpg

Who care?

DO YOU HAVE THE WEBSITE FROM WHERE YOU GOT YOURS? I SEARCHED WATERSHEAD IN OREGON AND FOUND NOTHING

I mounted a set of MX Uniko Handguards on the bike. The Uniko's will not touch my aftermarket windshield when the bars are turned to the left or right unlike V-Strom handguards. I take the guards off in the summer but leave the mounts on.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=191&prodFamilyId=12935&listingId=&colorAttr=13

It's amazing, with heated grips, how much the hand guards help. But when riding in the Pacific North-wet, rain is always a factor. So when it gets really nasty, I slide the Watersheds over the hand guards. Now I have the best of both worlds.

I have heard that you can do 120 mph with those hand guards and they will keep the watersheds of the levers. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: