Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few folks on here that are packin' and mouths start watering when the topic is guns. Looking for something decent under $400 (if such a thing exists). Cabella's has a selection of used guns, so, if I need to look more in the $400-$500 range (new), I might be able to find something gently used that would be in my price range. Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil.

In the past I have carried mini Glocks, but right now I have a Keltec 380 for backup and off-duty carry. You should be able to find both used in the $400 range.

Anything that Sig Sauer makes. Safe, reliable, accurate as they come, easy to maintain.

I have a lot of pistols, from custom Ed Brown 1911's to Glock's to Browning Hi-Power's to ParaOrdance's, etc., etc... (not to mention a bunch of revolvers, too) And I love my Sig's. My favorite is a P-220 in .45 ACP, but the 9mm's are a bit less of a handful to shoot.

Check out some gun shows and you should be able to find a used one for around $400, and you can find 'em new all over the place for $600-650.

Dallara

Funny thing about guns, they don't depreciate much at all unless they've been beat to s**t so your under $400 requirement makes it pretty tough to find a really nice one. Ruger P89's and S&W Sigma series can be had new for your price range. I'd lean toward the Rugers. Personally, I'd go for a Springfield Armory XD 45 V10 ported but that runs over $500. Here's a good site to check to see what's going for how much: Guns

9mm is a poor round
Soooo I take it you wouldn't mind getting hit with one? :lol:

Anything that Sig Sauer makes. Safe, reliable, accurate as they come, easy to maintain.
+1

Sig P229 (.40 S&W).

I must be one of the minority, but I could never get comfortable with the Glock trigger.
p229 looks nice, but, from what I'm seeing, doesn't quite fall into the $300-$400 range I was looking at. Will keep an eye out of a used one.

Thanks to all for the feedback....keep 'em comin'

Had a SW Sigma. Couldn't hit shit with it. Couldn't find a gunsmith that would touch it either. Got rid of it. A shame, though, it had a terrific feel.

Had a Ruger P89 also. Nice, solid, reliable, good price. I should have kept that one.

9mm rounds just don't have near the kinetic energy at impact that other choices do, like .40 S&W's and .45 ACP's.

Personally, I like a bigger, slower moving bullet when the idea is stopping a human assaliant at relatively close range - and any violent encounter with a handgun is most likely going to be at very close range (10 yards or less statistically, IIRC). That's why the vast majority of my handguns are .45 ACP's. I even have a revolver chambered for it (an S&W 625)!!!

I have a couple of 9mm's, a few .38's, and even some .45 Long Colts, but I still love .45 ACP's the best by far. I've had a couple of .40 S&W chambered pistols, and tehy were great guns with it being a great cartridge... It's just that for one reason or another I didn't end up keeping any of them.

Not that many years ago, right around the time the military was looking to replace the Colt 1911 .45 ACP, there was kind of a *movement* toward high capacity automatics - i.e. ones that held a lot of bullets. Colt 1911's held seven rounds whereas a number of 9mm pistols held 13, 14, 15, and some even 19 rounds (Steyr) onboard. The theory seem to be if you had more bullets you had more chances, and so lots of attention centered around 9mm's, and some even labled some of the many 9mm pistols introduced then as "Wondernines". The military picked it (primarily to be aligned with NATO countries' penchant for 9mm handguns) and so suddenly everyone thought the 9mm was a great cartridge. Didn't matter that it didn't hit wiht much more authority than a .38 Special... We'll just throw more bullets at 'em.

At the time IPSC shooting was dominated by .45 ACP guns, but then some folks started loading up .38 Supers (a fairly obscure automatic pistol cartridge) real hot to get them to make "major power factor", and since the cartridge was smaller in diameter more could be held in the pistol in this action shooting contests, and quickly the .38 Super dominated IPSC events. This led to more belief to the "more bullets are better" conception. Didn't matter that .38 Supers loaded like they were in IPSC were cartridges pretty much on the edge and not really acceptable as a home defense cartridge or plinking round. But slowly the .40 S&W came along and finally displaced the .38 Super in action shooting, and that's where we are today.

Now it is important to remember, if you are using the pistol for defense purposes, that in most handgun exchanges very few rounds are fired, and you are probably just fine with a single stack magazine and 7 or 8 rounds... Of course, it might help to have more, but personally my belief is that if the fight is going to take more than 8 rounds something is really wrong with my marksmanship!!! :dribble: If I've done my homework it really shouldn't take more than two.

Certainly this is the long way around to try and explain why other cartridges (and configurations of pistols) might be better than all the high capacity 9mm pistols around, but basically it boils down to the fact that statistically the 9mm does not have much *knock down* power, and does poorly in *one-shot stop* comparisons with other cartridges.

Still, it's an easy cartridge to shoot, ammunition is cheap, and I wouldn't want to get hit with one. Only problem is... Well, I would much rather get hit with a 9mm that with a .45 ACP! :)

More important than anything is to get a pistol you can consistently hit your target with. Doesn't matter what bullet you have... even a .460 Nitro Express... if you don't hit the target. ;)

Dallara

.357 Mag can be loaded from wimpy target loads to wrist-twisting loads. So I'll chime in suggesting a S&W 686+ revolver, preferably in 4" length for versatility, just slightly over your goal price (maybe used?). Heavy enough for lower-than-9 mm recoil with target loads. Hot loads carry as much or more stopping power than .45 ACP. And, as the saying goes, you get "six for sure" (um, seven with the 686+).

Well said Dallara. In fact, at least when I went thru the Gunsite course, they said the average pistol fight was 7 yards. Also had a couple of examples of guys that far apart emptying thier pistols without hitting each other! Big three needs in a gunfight in order are: Accuracy/Power/Speed.

You might take a look at the Colt Officer's model and the like. I forgot whether you said a wheelgun or automatic - I'm assuming automatic. Good luck!

I have really liked my Ruger .45ACP (p89, i believe). It's been reliable, and consistent, and not too much.

If you're an occasionally shooter, go with a revolver. Much safer to operate without extensive training on various ways they can jam (bad ramp feed, stove pipe jam, etc.) and as a rule, more reliable.