Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil.
Plinking guys, not terminal ballistics, 2nd shot follow-up or rounds in the mag.

How about a nice little .22? Shoot all day long for next to nothing! To my thinking, plinking = .22 and girls love 'em because of the low recoil.

...or maybe a S&W .500, either/or :D

Personally I've always wanted a Colt 1873 Peacemaker in .45 Long Colt. But at around $1,800 I'll keep wanting one!

9mm is a poor round
What does that mean?
it means only gurhleymehn use it. for a little more than the price you're talking about you could find a decent used model from Kimber in .45 ACP in a defensive option if you're willing to practice. you'd have a pistol that is top drawer quality (just short of someone's custom shop). a revolver in .38 special to .357 mag (loaded down some) if you don't want to learn the "manual of arms" needed with a semi-auto.
for simply plinking, it's hard to beat Ruger's .22 Mark II (I like the 4" bull barrel & adjustable sight version mawownseff). They last several lifetimes, are dead nuts reliable, will shoot even the cheap, on sale, bricks of .22 long rifle ammo. they are easy to field strip and clean. the only drawback is the first time you try to put it back together (getting the back strap piece in right). on top of that it's within your price range ($200?). your wife will have a blast shooting it. my kids were very comfortable with it at the range by the time they were in middle school (adult supervised of course).

The 26th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values (sitting right here on my desk BTW) shows the Mark II as:

Mark II Standard: 22 LR cal, 4 3/4" or 6" barrel, checkered black Delrin synthethic grips, blue finish, 10 shot mag, approx 2.25 lbs, mfgr 1982 - 2004:

100%: $225; 98%: $175; 95%: $135; 90%: $115; 80%: $110; 70%: $100; 60%: $95

Stainless: $295, $215, $175

Mark II Target (my recommendation for this design): 22 LR cal, 4" Bull (1996-1999), 5 1/4" Bull (disc 1994), 5 1/2: Bull, or 6 7/8" standard, or 10" Bull, checkered black Delrin synthethic grips, blue finish, 10 shot mag, approx 2 5/7 lbs - 3 1/4 lbs depending on bbl length, disc 2004:

100%: $295; 98%: $245; 95%: $205; 90%: $165; 80%: $130; 70%: $120; 60%: $110

Stainless: $355, $280, $210

There are also various specialty runs (anniversary editions, endowment special nra, competition target, etc.) that run higher, but these aren't something you'd be interested in. Remember that the BB is a guide for "max price". If you were to walk into a shop and ask these prices for your pistol, they'd never give it since they expect to turn around and make some money from the resale. As such, never be willing to pay this much to them either.

Mark II Target Bull

Ruger%20MK512.gif

The 10" variant

Loaded_Weapon_01.JPG

Loaded_Weapon_05.JPG

Ruger now does a Mark III in Standard, Target, Hunter, and 22/45 (a grip designed to feel like a Colt 1911 .45 acp grip). These are new as of 2005 so should be on the shelves. At 100%, they run:

Standard: $245; Target $295; Target SS $375; Target Brown Laminate(whatever the hell that is): $430; Hunter: $450; 22/45: $225; 22/45 Stainless: $250.

And, statistically, more people are killed with a 22 caliber than any other. So, it may be small, but still deadly.
Only if you use it as a fuse in your pickup truck. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted, a lot of the rounds mentioned here are teriffic "man-stoppers", but consider also plinking comfort for the wife. If this gun will be intended for her self-defense, you will need something she is comfortable shooting. If it kicks the crap out of her, she may not ever become comfortable with it and that just kinda defeats the purpose. I had to go with a 38 special for the missus because she is comfortable shooting it. She will actually carry the gun.

And don't totally discount the trusty 22. I know most will laugh at this caliber but a good 22 is an absoulute blast (no pun intended) to use plinking and target shooting. It is also a great gun to use teaching someone about shooting. And, statistically, more people are killed with a 22 caliber than any other. So, it may be small, but still deadly.

Ok since we're talking fun little .22's, my personal favorite is my Browning Buckmark. Brand new under $300 and like the Ruger it comes in many variations. Barrels are super easy to change and there's a whole bunch of equally low priced aftermarket barrels including a shweet little 4" with a threaded muzzle. Just imagine the possibilities :D Linky That place also sells cool stuff for the Ruger.

Unlike the Ruger you don't have to be a gunsmith to work on it. Not a slam on the Ruger but anybody who's ever tried to work on one will have to admit they are a bitch. I almost threw mine out the window first time I tried to strip it down.

Plinking guys, not terminal ballistics, 2nd shot follow-up or rounds in the mag.How about a nice little .22? Shoot all day long for next to nothing! To my thinking, plinking = .22 and girls love 'em because of the low recoil.
Great point! Saw this very point this weekend...eldest son, his wife to be and I went shooting=plinking at the 25 yd line. While he and I shot a up four boxs each of 45acp [his H&K; sweet] and 9mm [old ruger p89] basically comparied our poor targets. :eek: She shoot up a brick of 22lr [bull barrel MkII]. Her early targets were typically base ball sized at about 4'oclock & 8 ring zone. I suggested she slow her grip to the fire point and she put the next three mags arround the x and within the 9 ring. :) She did NOT like shooting either of the "big" guns, but keep them on the paper.

Too soon it was time to leave...she took her targets home and bragged just the right amount. I starting to like this girl. :D Anyway she said she thought she could double tap center of mass if needed. I hope she never has see that day, but if the target is still paper she can!

rublenoon

+1 on the Browning Buckmark. Sweeeeeet gun. I can hit a gallon milk jug at 100 yards with that thing. I love that gun.

Only if you use it as a fuse in your pickup truck. :dribble:

Whatthefu??? Shit, I gotto go and change my fuse.

I have a S&W model 629 .44 Mag with a 3" barrel and round butt grips and it IS the nicest shooting (small?) handgun I've had the pleasure to shoot. Load it up with .44 specials and recoil is very mild, not to mention accurate. Full house Magnums are a handfull to say the least and if you don't hit your target you'll probably set it on fire at least.

A plus is that revolvers are easier and safer to learn on for the non dedicated and cleaning couldn't be easier.

Anything that Sig Sauer makes. Safe, reliable, accurate as they come, easy to maintain.
I have a lot of pistols, from custom Ed Brown 1911's to Glock's to Browning Hi-Power's to ParaOrdance's, etc., etc... (not to mention a bunch of revolvers, too) And I love my Sig's. My favorite is a P-220 in .45 ACP, but the 9mm's are a bit less of a handful to shoot.

Check out some gun shows and you should be able to find a used one for around $400, and you can find 'em new all over the place for $600-650.

Dallara

+1 P220 .45 ACP have been excellent in reliability and quick in PTS, next to the glock. In sporting events, the P228 9mm were excellent choices for me and have put several trophies on the shelf. The Kimbers are excellent as well, but the short versions of the .45, foul too fast for competition. For the price your looking for, there are a lot of recommendations. I have worked and taught at shooting ranges, and the best thing to have are good friends behind the counter to give you that exceptional discount. Even used ones aren't bad, especially 1911, because you can always change out the barrel with a new threaded flash suppressor. Go to the shooting range, rent a few different handguns and see which one fits your wife's grip comfortably before purchasing anything. Then if any of you want to get up to speed and power, get some advanced training like Gunsite, ESI, NRA and many others options out there.

Just sold my P220 after it set unused for many a year. Had loads of accessories, original +2 mags, +1 extended mag, full length recoil guide rod with intertial dampeners <g>, oem bbl + extended/ported competition bbl, oem case/cleaning kit/blah blah blah. I think I got $400 for it all. Wanted more but didn't want to hold out any longer. :-(

Once I got the Kimber I knew I was back to what I like in a semi-auto (single-action, smaller grip/frame, etc.). Never been a big lover of the Krunchentinker variant pistoles. Only high-capacity variant I ever got close to liking was the Belgian Browning Hi-Power I had for about 6 months. Felt good in the hand and was single action. Sadly it was only a 9mm for that round a smaller package was the H&K P9S (that I didn't know how much I liked it until I traded it off on a POS VP70Z -- the worst trigger action of any pistol ever made). Sweetest shooting 9 ever (P9S) - IMO.

..update..

All this got me doing a little surfing. ACK! I looked at some of the pistols I've traded away over years and what they are currently selling for. It's enough to make you cry. Until I consider the money put into farkles...

My latest aquisition is a Springfield XD-V10 (ported) in .357 Sig. Shoots like a dream. When I'm touring, I pack a Taurus mdl. 605, .357 mag, , 2 1/2" ported (thank god) barrel. Very compact and effective.

As you can see, there is a lot of 'personal choice' involved in selecting a handgun. If you plan on carrying it on your person fro self defense you probably want something fairly light and small, otherwise you won't like carrying it. I personally prefer the compact KAHR polomer frame semi-auto. There are plenty of plastic semi-autos out there and you need to handle a selection of them to determine which one feels right to you. My preference is 9mm because it is a good compromise between shootability and effectiveness in a light gun.

That said, unless you are going to shoot often enough to become proficient with a semi-auto, you will be better served by a revolver. Simpler to operate and less likely to malfunction when the doo-doo hits the fan. Smith and Wesson makes some very light compact revolvers in 38 special and they even have a couple that take 357 mag. The 357 would be very effective for defense and you can load them with 38 special target rounds for plinking. If price is more important than weight, you can get used police revolvers at very good prices. They will mostly be medium size steel revolvers with 6 inch barrels. A little big and heavy by modern standards for concealed carry, but very reliable and easy to shoot.

Simpler to operate and less likely to malfunction when the doo-doo hits the fan.
:ermm:
Ahhhhmmmm... I'm tellin' Mom you said "doo doo"!

Aside from the fact that newer versions of semis are less apt to jam than in the past (the manual of arms is more complex and some pistol/ammo combos may be troublesome, so testing your choices extensively is a must)[1], I think I prefer the more technical term, "dookie".

[1] which all goes back to the simplicity of the revolver that others have mentioned.[2]

[2] but a simply "+1" wouldn't have given me the oportunity to say, "dookie".[3]

[3] <MXC>Nose Nuggets!</MXC>

Hey Randy, lots of good replies. Here's my input. You might look at a 357 wheelgun, I prefer SW. That way your wife can shoot 38 Spec. and Plus P ammo and you can shoot 357. If you ever get the chance, altenate these loads in the chamber and try shooting them yourself. Quite a bit of difference. IMO Jerry

+ 1 on Browning High-Power (got one) Its great

+1 on the Browning Buckmark for plinking (had one)

+1 On the Sig (want one)

Also try a Browning High-Power Clone made by FEG I paid $200 Traded my Buckmark for it. Made from original Browning fatory equip and most parts ar interchangable. I have had no prob with it and use it as a travel gun so if it is lost or stolen I still have my $650 Browning.

Forget that S&W 686 crap for a revolver. A better deal is the Tuarus 686? 969? Look into it and youll see. most barrells are comped from the factory to reduce recoil.

Personally for a 357 I love My GP100 from Ruger. For a light pocket small carry my wife has a Ruger SP 101 .357. The 101 DOES kick with full loads. but a .357 will shoot .38 with no mods and most will shoot a .9mm with a moon clip.

Also for the $ you cant go wrong with a Ruger P89, P90 or an early P85.

Ruger Mark I with 5 1/2 inch bull barrel here (have had it for a long time) great weapon for all the aforementioned reasons. (many a dead ground hog/woodchuck because of that pistol).

also a gurleyman Ruger P89 9mm (though you wouldn't think it very gurley if one of the 32 round magazines were being emptied in the direction of your carcass) :p

also Ruger Redhawk .44 mag 7 5/8 inch barrel (mostly used for deer hunting, oh yeah, and for blowing big holes in things)

For the little lady, I'd go with what she feels comfortable shooting (because if she's not comfortable shooting it then it ain't cool)

Also keep in mind the larger the physical size of the handgun the less will be the perceived recoil for a given cal. since the recoil has to move the mass of the gun also. My Redhawk "kicks" less than some of the 357s listed above because it weighs about 56 ounces--with that said, it is kind of difficult to conceal though :D

Toophast

Ruger Mark I with 5 1/2 inch bull barrel here (have had it for a long time) great weapon for all the aforementioned reasons. (many a dead ground hog/woodchuck because of that pistol).
also a gurleyman Ruger P89 9mm (though you wouldn't think it very gurley if one of the 32 round magazines were being emptied in the direction of your carcass) :p

also Ruger Redhawk .44 mag 7 5/8 inch barrel (mostly used for deer hunting, oh yeah, and for blowing big holes in things)

For the little lady, I'd go with what she feels comfortable shooting (because if she's not comfortable shooting it then it ain't cool)

Also keep in mind the larger the physical size of the handgun the less will be the perceived recoil for a given cal. since the recoil has to move the mass of the gun also. My Redhawk "kicks" less than some of the 357s listed above because it weighs about 56 ounces--with that said, it is kind of difficult to conceal though :D

Toophast
I'll agree the Ruger Mark I/II are great .22s

I also agree the heavier thu gun = less recoil. My Deasert Eagle .357 great on recoil at 4lbs of gun but with the scope mounted on it, VERY hard to conceal.

I've had folks compare the kick of the SP 101 to the Redhawk.

Thanks for all the great replies. Been doing some homework. Leaning towards a Sig. Not sure which one yet. Would like a 229, but, I'll see what else is out there. Any feedback on the polymer framed Sig?