Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great replies. Been doing some homework. Leaning towards a Sig. Not sure which one yet. Would like a 229, but, I'll see what else is out there. Any feedback on the polymer framed Sig?
Sig = great gun for over the counter. I would get the 220 (but its the last one on my wish list)

They also make a round .357sig (not the same as .357mag) a little hotter than the 9mm but no where near the force of a .357 mag.

If I had known Bounce would drop a 220 for $400 I'ld a been all over that!

One thing you may consider in purchasing a handgun that I don't think has been mentioned yet and I don't know if it would be a factor for you. Look at the cost of ammo for the gun you are considering. 9mm can be bought for $5 per box 45 = $12 .38 = $9 .357mag = $14

Those are for pratice round boxes. Defense loads would cost around $7 per box more.

If you know how to clear a jam on a semi....then dont go with anything less then a .40 caliber, if you are not proficient then go with a 38 revolver or greater.

Next important thing is the ammo you carry. For my duty weapon I carried Golden Sabre, it does terrible things to body tissue. Some like Black Talons and of course my favorite personal loads are Gold Dots.

BTW......when you are talking semi's.......there are only two that are worth mentioning....

1. H&K

2. Glock

In that order of course.

Everything else is second class.

In regards to price...............what is your life worth........$400.00?

NC

+1 on the Golden Sabre rounds... for personal defense that's what I use in my 9 mm and 45 ACP.

I can shoot Xs all day with my Beretta 9mm... but if you compare the size of the round between that and the 45 ACP round, it's obvious you'd much rather be hitting an assailant with the 45 ammo, and Golden Sabres make BEEEEG holes in soft tissue.

As a couple people mentioned earlier in the thread, the Springfield Armory XD series is a very nice semiauto... I just got an XD45, and it shoots very well, and in small clusters.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you know how to clear a jam on a semi....then dont go with anything less then a .40 caliber, if you are not proficient then go with a 38 revolver or greater.
Next important thing is the ammo you carry. For my duty weapon I carried Golden Sabre, it does terrible things to body tissue. Some like Black Talons and of course my favorite personal loads are Gold Dots.

BTW......when you are talking semi's.......there are only two that are worth mentioning....

1. H&K

2. Glock

In that order of course.

H&K USP's are good, but very bulky, even their "sub" (I forget what it's called) is still pretty big, comparitively speaking.

I don't see how you can reasonably call a Sig "2nd class" though, they're a very fine handgun.

Glocks, you either love or hate, IMO. Personally, I can't get used to the Glock (1.5 action) trigger, but, obviously, lots of people love 'em.

1. H&K

2. Glock

In that order of course.

H&K USP's are good, but very bulky, even their "sub" (I forget what it's called) is still pretty big, comparitively speaking.

I don't see how you can reasonably call a Sig "2nd class" though, they're a very fine handgun.

Glocks, you either love or hate, IMO. Personally, I can't get used to the Glock (1.5 action) trigger, but, obviously, lots of people love 'em.
I owned the H&K .45acp when it first came out. I thought it was nice until I bought my Glock 21.

I have changed the pull weight on the glock a tad. Practicing dry fire with the Glock is no fun at all, I use my Springfield 1911loaded model for that. Shooting the Glock though to me is extremely smooth and I can shoot it better than any other. Agree however both being double stack full size guns are bulky for personal carry.

Glock does make personal carry guns that are better suited but I have never shot them nor can I speak of their accuracy. My Glock is extremely reliable and the clips are top notch, unlike my Springfield which I had to spend a little extra money to get top quality mags for it to feed well/reliable.

Sig has a great reputation but I would also recommend looking at the Springfield XD model if you don't have anything against "plastic" :)

No matter what you get, get out to the range and practice often. There is no substitute for practice. And just like motorcycling practice correctly. I see so many people at the range who can't shoot worth a lick and they just keep shooting and shooting without ever asking anyone around them what they might be doing wrong.

If you get someone to teach you correctly to start with and you listen you will be shooting very well from the very beginning, if you don't you will never get it right on your own.

Breath, relax, squeeze dont pull, and most of all don't push or flinch when you fire. I try to teach people with my revolver to shoot because I can load only 3 rounds and skip a few chambers. If they jerk when no bullet goes off it can show them immediately their bad form. It is something I also continuously go back and do for myself because high powered guns after a few rounds can cause you to start to flinch. This is something some may argue but I keep both eyes open when shooting handguns. I try to concentrate on the target and front sight and that is hard if not impossible to do with only one eye.

Also if you are lucky enough to have a place to practice target aquisition, do it. Shooting at a fixed target all day will never prepare you for something that is moving.

Good luck... Have fun and hope you never have to use it in real life...

One of my favorite pistols is my .45 Ruger P90, paid 350 for it used but in very good condition. My friends give me shit constantly as they are shooting thier Kimbers, Glocks etc but it has never jammed and it is by far the most accurate pistol I own. It's a cheapy but seems to fit my hand like a glove. Find a range where you can rent a pistol and just try out several till you find your fit.

Anyone have experience/thoughts on the Beretta 92 or 96 or the Sig SP2022 or p239?

Anyone have experience/thoughts on the Beretta 92 or 96 or the Sig SP2022 or p239?
Randy,

I've got a Beretta 92FS 9mm Parabellum... and I shoot it very well. Have had it for about 8 years... very minimal recoil... can shoot any ammo you stuff in it and never miss a beat... I've never, repeat never had a misfire or jam in it. EVER. 9's and 10's from 15 yards is like falling off a log. I can shoot smiley faces on silhouettes with it. It's that easy to shoot (at least I find it is). The only drawback is the size of the ammo, and stopping power. With a Golden Sabre round, you'll make big enough holes. Clip size is plentiful too....

Randy,

I've got a Beretta 92FS 9mm Parabellum... and I shoot it very well. Have had it for about 8 years... very minimal recoil... can shoot any ammo you stuff in it and never miss a beat... I've never, repeat never had a misfire or jam in it. EVER. 9's and 10's from 15 yards is like falling off a log. I can shoot smiley faces on silhouettes with it. It's that easy to shoot (at least I find it is). The only drawback is the size of the ammo, and stopping power. With a Golden Sabre round, you'll make big enough holes. Clip size is plentiful too....
Thanks, Groo. Good stuff. While the stopping power might not be that of a .45 or .50, it's certainly a helluva lot better than the stopping power of the paper spitballs I'm shooting out of a straw right now. And now that they can get DNA off of the spitballs, there's no getting around ballistics, so, I might as well step it up, eh?

Randy, I have to agree with Groo. The 92F or even the 96 is you want a little more are GREAT!! I have both. . .I love the 92 and 15 rnd clips are perfect. I had the 92 F in the Army, got it beyond dirty and it still shot perfect. Nice recoil and drops easy back into your line of sight. My only ever complaint is I have large hands so having a bigger grip feels better to me.

Go for it, by far of everything I have the Beretta's are my fav! Next is my H&K Tactical, but that is another story.

I use a Keltec .380 for personal CC. Great little pistol for concealed carry, made in the USA, good factory service, and a bargain at gun shows. I picked up two of them with spare magazines for $225 each. My daughter carries the other.

Sure, a .380 is a mouse gun, and not much use past 10 yards or so, but I figure it's better to have it and not need it...

A little fluff and buff (have to modify EVERYTHING) and it's a solid piece that I've put enough rounds through that I know it won't jam and how far I can get back and still put 6 shots into a paper plate.

I lust after a compact .45, but I'm still undecided. And no way can you beat the Keltec for concealability. With a suitable pocket holster, no one would ever guess it's there.

ZatGunRotate.gif

This Zatn'kitel is very compact, first shot stun, second shot gets rid of all evidence that any crime/shooting has occured.

Call me old fashioned but if it was good enough for Captain Kirk it's good enough for me. Besides, I know for a fact you can set these to overload and explode if you're ever in a really tight spot....

pr-Toys-Art_Asylum_Star_Trek_Classic_Trek_Tek_Phaser_Number_2_Action_Figure-resized200.jpg