Hard wiring XM-Radio help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMdcporter

Reaction score
Gang,

Here we go again, I just set a up a fuse box under my seat and have the wiring ran under the tank all going well. I wired in the GPS no problem. I went to wire my XM-Radio and found that the auxi-plug I was going to cut off reduces the 12v to 5v. How can I hard wire the XM-Radio in? I'm not sure how to reduce the voltage down can anyone please help.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you could use a cig adaptor (taped together) . . . .I'm going to be in the same boat soon as I change to new radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine with a Direct Hardwire Cable from here (2nd item on the page).

Basically, it's an in-line transformer, which I mounted in the tool tray, and ran the output lead under the tank to the radio. Worked just dandy.

Open up the cig lighter end on the sat radio, remove the fuse, the springs, and the external chrome, solder a red with to the pos, solder a black wire to the neg, put it back together, attach the wires to your fuse block. :rolleyes:

Basically, it's an in-line transformer, which I mounted in the tool tray, and ran the output lead under the tank to the radio. Worked just dandy.

Open up the cig lighter end on the sat radio, remove the fuse, the springs, and the external chrome, solder a red with to the pos, solder a black wire to the neg, put it back together, attach the wires to your fuse block. :rolleyes:
Don't waste your time trying to modify the cig adapter, or using a cig socket to power it. I did, and I picked up a whine on my XM Roady 2 that drove me plain nuts.

This is the ONLY way to fly IMO. I picked one up and installed it and I have 0 noise. I've had no issues with it in about the last 15k miles.

Awesome guys thanks for the information. I like the black box method since I have everything already wired under the seat, I can tap into my fuse box and rerun wiring under tank.

Thanks for the link,

Dave