Harley-Davidson is going to discontinue Buell M/C line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorlac, Fred W and ShinyPartsUp: I called Ocala Buell as soon as they opened up in Florida and spoke to a really nice guy named Kenny at 1-866-252-3749. Here is the deal: $7,069 Out-The-Door. Breakdown: Bike - $5,995; Dealer Fee: $695; Tire Fee: $3.50; Arizona Sales Tax at 5.6% - $375.50; the last one surprised me, but Kenny said there is now a nationwide agreement in effect between the States where they pull out the home states taxes and send it on to Arizona State Treasury.
Kenny said if I flew into either Orlando or Gainesville airports he'd send a driver over in the company truck to pick me up.

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...-1125R-94825513 HOWEVER, just since yesterday the other Buell dealers across America have jumped on the bandwagon and in todays CycleTrader new hot price is only $5,695; 500 miles closer.

I'm going to wait until 10/31 before I go after a 1125CR, I think some of these H-D dealers are going to cut $$ even further!
Don,

In the event you haven't already made a deal, these guys were advertising on the radio today "up to $5,000 off on Buells in stock" so you might want to give them a call. Best of luck! https://www.hdfresno.com/ Yes... they're Ca models, but I hear those charcoal smog canisters fall off when you cross the Colorado east bound!

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been around in a while. Been out riding my new 1125R !!!!!!

This bike is awesome!!!! :biggrinsmiley: :biggrinsmiley: Gobbs of low end power and it pulls right up to redline. Not like my XB9 that kind of falls on its face just before the rev limiter. Surprisingly comfortable for a bike w/ clip-ons. I spent the whole day sunday tearing up some twisty roads on the east end of L.I. and clicked a little over 150 miles. Didn't even feel it.

Cheryl and I met Eric Buell a few years ago at an open house / test ride day in N.J. at the dealership that we purchased the bike from. He is a very nice guy and we had an interesting conversation about the design of the XB line. He is not only an engineer but a serious motorcycle enthusiast. When my friends and I asked if he was ever going to put a more modern engine into the XB frame, he just gave a wry smile and said, " hang in there ".

We all did. Riding our sportster- powered machines. Then the 1125R came to be. Reading all the write ups with mixed reviews, I still was able to see that he pretty much gave us everything we wanted. Modern V twin with all the technology and power we asked for. A stable, fuctional chassis that works. Fully adjustable susspension. The best tires available. Water cooled. The list goes on.

Would I have bought one if they weren't heavily discouted ? That's a tough question. But probably no. Not because I didn't like it, but more so because of finances. It has been on my short list of my next bike to buy. This purchase was purely Cheryl's idea because for some reason I can't understand, she loves me and knew it would make me happy to have one of the last bikes he has designed. ( I truely hope this is not the case )

Now don't get me wrong. I still love my FJR. But for totaly different reasons I'm sure you know.

Goota go now and put some more break in miles on before it gets too cold out. :p

Tim

Here are a few facts to chew on.The new CEO is a corporate guy from Johnson Controls.Knows how to make the balance sheet look pretty.IMHO HD's upper management had a major gripe over Erics spending for racing support,and the use of non Motor Company engines.I think they wanted it ceased.They have become very narrow minded and cant see the future or tolerate differences.KTM,MV,Triumph and Bimota are great products but the production numbers are from four to five figures per year in units.Not enough for HD.Victory made Polaris 98m last year while 128m was made by Buell.Yea Buell qualifies as a boutique builder but HD only wants home runs running on turd motors with idiot buyers willing to spend another 10k to get that factory hotrod.Dont think they can stand small number.HD spent 200+m buying MV instead of focusing and developing on its infant child and rethinking how to market Buell. Harley wanted assembly soures wanted to gain a stronger foothold in Europe to avoid that ridiculous tariff that is put on them by the EU.Head guy at MV leaves leaving HD holding a real big bag of manure because the Italians are reluctant to work for a non Italian.IMHO since Willie G knows his age group all too well that is the only he understands.Buell would at least go when you twist the throttle instead of fart

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy:https://dalefranks.com/cycles/

says that H-D will replace Buells with the Korean Hyosung Aquilla 700cc V-Twin cruiser assembled in the USA by ATK (Utah).

:eek: :unsure:
Methinks cruisers ARE their comfort zone. They're really not secure with a motorcycle type other than a V-twin or a cruiser.

One would think, in their view, the Aquilla is "HD light".

A post-mortem article on Buell: the potential and the fate

Sad. Really, really sad. What's even sadder..? What happened to leftover bikes at the factory:

Buell_Fate.jpg

Had I known this was going to happen, I would have offered scrap value plus, say, 10% for a Uly. :glare:

Woah. Also from that site:

Discussing the decision, Harley CFO John Olin says, 'We have not quantified the benefits of increased focus on [the] Harley-Davidson brand as a result of discontinuing Buell nor included any potential savings in our restructuring estimates.'

It blows my mind. The only possible reason is new bean-counting executives wanted Erik gone.

A post-mortem article on Buell: the potential and the fate
Sad. Really, really sad. What's even sadder..? What happened to leftover bikes at the factory:

Buell_Fate.jpg

Had I known this was going to happen, I would have offered scrap value plus, say, 10% for a Uly. :glare:
That pic has nothing to do with buell closing, those are test bikes, and sad as it is, they're always scrapped...

Still, very sad all around.

That is good news Don.. I'll bet he's got plenty of people ready to lend a hand.
Go Erik Go! :clapping:

:jester:
I would be willing to bet you are right, Barry! I have met him twice and shaken his hand, one time at Phoenix International Raceway here in Arizona and once at Sturgis Bike Week in South Dakota; a genuine and sincere, really nice Motorcycle Guy!

Never have heard a negative word about Erik Buell and I am pulling for him to make it on his own with his Racing Company!

But race them where? He got a rules s-t-r-e-t-c-h already from DMG to put his bikes in AMA, but to race a bike you absolutely can't buy any more (once they're gone) for the street, because the company doesn't exist any more?

But race them where? He got a rules s-t-r-e-t-c-h already from DMG to put his bikes in AMA, but to race a bike you absolutely can't buy any more (once they're gone) for the street, because the company doesn't exist any more?
Walt, the same fact caught my eye when I was reading the article this morning. Buell indeed got a huge stretch from race authorizing body DMG to allow them to race in AMA. I wonder if they're going to set up class racing like the Vintage racers?