Harley Down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can lean a Harley over farther than you think, you just have to not react

to the grinding noise till you get the parts properly clearanced.

Properlyclearancedfootboard.jpg

My first crash was when I push started a Honda S90, it took off and I was hanging on for dear life. I naturally pulled the throttle harder and it took of harder and the bike and I landed in the garbage cans. My Dad got a big laugh outta that.

"Hey Jethro - is that how you are supposed to start it?"

I lost my H2 750 on an Interstate 80 on ramp near Chicago back in '72. Hit the oily center of the ramp during rush hour. Unlike a Harley I could pick it up and go home. Another lesson.

He'll lived to learn a good lesson. Life was good to him today.

So I'm on my way home from work...
The transition from Route 63 to Route 4 is a nice ramp. If you're inclined to, you could probalby get knee down. The merge to Route 4 is faily wide open and traffic is generally lite there.

So I'm about to take this right hander (at a leisure pace mind you) and as I start around the corner I see a guy standing there with his road king on it's side. Being the nice guy that I am, I pulled over to render assistance.

As I walk back I see the skid marks, and then the scrapes, and where the grass is all torn up. I ask him if he's OK, which he appears to be, only extreemly stressed out. Another motorist stops and we get the bike up and push it up to the pavement. He's busy assessing the damage.

Again I ask him if he's allright. (He was wearing the standard Harley protetive gear, a pair of aviators, a wife beater and jeans and he doesn't appear to have a scratch on him).

I asked him what happened, he said he didn't really know. (It looks to me like he was going just a tad to fast for that big ass bike).

I pointed out, that it's only parts, most will buff out, the important thing is that he's OK. He looks at me like I'm crazy. He said I just picked this up new and was bringing it home. (the dealership is maybe 10 miles down the road).

It sure was pretty. Right about that time a cop pulls up, gets out and starts assessing the situation. Now if I was a betting man, I'd bet this guy didn't even have his Moto Endorsement yet. Shit happens, I get that...

The cop starts up a conversation, and that was my queue to move on...

Somewhat traggic, brand new bike and all, but the look on the guys face, the anger and frustration would have made an excellent photo.

-MD
Good job on you stopping, I would hope all bike riders were of your stature.

After reading your post me thinks he was too concerned about the bike because he also had NO insurance; one would hope not!

I do not see how that is sooooo funny.Not everyone can ride as good as you guys who make fun of the others.

I know that most Harley riders are not great riders, but do you all have to be so mean?
Sir, I quote you; "Not everyone can ride as good as you guys who make fun of the others".

Take two steps back,then go take the time to read my screed regarding the HOG posers who were so kind (tongue in cheek no less) to me awile ago.

Now, with your new found knowledge come back with a better attitude.

Taffy,

Yeah, I saw your post about the two Harley guys who were blocking the lanes. They probably needed all of that space to make the turns. I doubt that they were doing that to be obstructions on the road. I too, pass bikes in the same lane just the way the crotch rockets pass me on the highway at twice my speed. You are so cool to be able to do that! I am impressed.

You guys can talk trash to the Harley crowd all you want, WHATEVER!

In the big scope of things, who gives a F^&^* what anybody thinks of me and or Harley riders.

Taffy,Yeah, I saw your post about the two Harley guys who were blocking the lanes. They probably needed all of that space to make the turns. I doubt that they were doing that to be obstructions on the road. I too, pass bikes in the same lane just the way the crotch rockets pass me on the highway at twice my speed. You are so cool to be able to do that! I am impressed.

In the big scope of things, who gives a F^&^* what anybody thinks of me and or Harley riders.
I like your shtick, Slick, I think I'll follow suit. I'm gonna go join a Harley forum and hurl verbal gauntlets at their feet in defense of my FJR. Kinda like Don Quixote jousting with the windmill... pointless, but entertaining in an odd way.

Taffy,Yeah, I saw your post about the two Harley guys who were blocking the lanes. They probably needed all of that space to make the turns. I doubt that they were doing that to be obstructions on the road. I too, pass bikes in the same lane just the way the crotch rockets pass me on the highway at twice my speed. You are so cool to be able to do that! I am impressed.

Well, I don't think badly about any biker on the road, riding whatever machine that makes he/she happy.

We all take a risk once we swing our leg over the bike and start the engine ready to do battle with cages, road trash, weather conditions et al.

I merely pointed out that some HOG riders (see my post about the HOG wankers at Monroe) take it upon themseleves to make it very obvious to other bikers ,their dislike for the Jap brand of bikes and protective riding gear!

I'm pretty sure that Harley dealers are a lot like Baskin Robbins stores - if you drop your cone within sight of the premises, your replacement cone is free. He should just take that bike back to Harley for his replacement cone.

Renegade-Good stuff on stopping to help. How many people just went by and rubber necked? Slick-I don't quite think this is a bash session. Just people pointing out that most Harley riders don't wear proper gear and this guy was lucky. I see from you avatar you wear gear- good man that knows the risk. People may have a little fun poking at Harleys around here, after all your in a different clubhouse. Hope you find what you need here.

I remember my first bike. After talking to mom for 3 years, (begging to let me get a bike) she finally said yes. I was 19.

I went the next day to a Kaw. dealer and paid for a new 1970 Kaw. 350 two stroke. The dealer delivered the bike a couple days later. While waiting for the bike to be delivered, I kept thinking , should have got the bigger bike , the 500 triple Kaw.

Anyway, the dealer unloads the bike,,, and fires it up... I get on it , twist the throttle ,,,the bike stands up on its' back tire and starts taking me down the road....

I'm hanging on for dear life,, can't let go of the throttle for hanging on.. Thinking, "SHIT , I've had the bike for 10 seconds and I'm going to wreck it.. Mom is going to kill me and will never let me ride again."

I finally got the front wheel back on the ground after what seemed like a life time,,, got the bike back home with out crashing,,, changed my underwear,, and survived to do other stupid stuff... :blink:

In my old age I've become a MSF instructor to maybe help folks keep for doing some of the stupid stuff I did..

MSF , is a great program..

Still wish I had the 350 Kaw. ,,, nastiest bike I've ever ridden.....

He made it a whole 10 minutes after buying his bike before crashing? :unsure: Here's a guy that beat him by over 9 minutes:

WOW!!!!! :dribble: :dribble: That's incredible. How could someone be so stupid!! Did you see him try put his feet on the highway bar before he crashed!! This idiot doesn't even know how to ride a bike and his biggest concern was to look cool for that 8 second rodeo ride. This is where that Honda logo that states: "Stupid Hurts" definitely applies here!!

Still wish I had the 350 Kaw. ,,, nastiest bike I've ever ridden.....
Lessee... that would have been a "350 Bighorn", right? My next door neighbor bought one used and I worked on it a few times. It had a rotary valve instead of reeds. Funky design. But it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just yesterday, I was told that I was "overdressed" for the bike I was riding. Had taken the little Rebel 250 into town for state inspection. Was wearing FF helmet, mesh jacket, mesh gloves, boots and jeans (no ride pants).

You should have seen the look on the Service Manager's face when I said... "When you hit the pavement at 50 mph, it doesn't make a damn what put you there, a Rebel or an FJR." It's funny how much social stigma is attached to how a biker is dressed on a particular machine.

And just yesterday, my neighbor who works at an unnamed Harley dealership, was sharing stories about how people are sold new HD bikes all the time without really knowing if they have a motorcycle stamp or if they possess the basic skills to ride. One in particular, bought the new HD, and immediately proceeded across the four-lane in front of the dealership and into the far side ditch. Ambulance picked him up. HD Service picked up the bike and put it right in their shop.

My heart goes out to anybody that dumps a bike, even the ones that don't get hurt. There's a lot of social BS, misguided assumptions, peer pressure and other such baggage to overcome as a new motorcycle owner.

To me, the biggest question about the HD guy originally listed in this post is "Did he refuse help from someone before he started out?" It's those that are offered help and guidance, who refuse it because of ego etc., that should get the Darwin awards.

Lessee... that would have been a "350 Bighorn", right? My next door neighbor bought one used and I worked on it a few times. It had a rotary valve instead of reeds. Funky design. But it worked.

I remember the Big Horn same era ,,,, but No it was a 2 cylinder, rotary valve, two stroke Kaw. Avenger SS ,,yellow & white.. A road bike with scambler up-swept pipes...

I think the SS stood for "Super Scary"... Went like hell up to 5000 rpm's ,, then it really went crazy,, don't remember what red line was,,,

Just really glad I DIDN'T get the Kaw. 500 triple two stroke... I think they called that one the " Wobblesaki " or the Widowmaker..

I'm just lucky God protects the ignorant .... :unsure:

You guys can talk trash to the Harley crowd all you want, WHATEVER!In the big scope of things, who gives a F^&^* what anybody thinks of me and or Harley riders.
Slick, good for you for being so cavalier. I especially like the cavalier attitude with which you flaunt copyright laws. Your avatar say "Proof" - I'm wondering if you paid for that photo or you just downloaded that proof off a web page without paying for it. If you did just download it that falls into the same bucket as illegal copies of service manuals or pirated songs...at least in my book. I hope the admins of this site see it that way too.

As for Harley riders, I ride with a bunch of them. Most of the ones I ride with are in their half-helmets, leather vest, t-shirt, and bare hands. I have my open-face 3/4 helmet or FF helmet, mesh armored jacket, sidi boots and gauntlet gloves. I don't make fun of them and they don't make fun of me and we all have fun riding. A couple of them have exceptionally good riding skills. I just hope that they never go down - or if they do the lack of gear doesn't cause them any harm.

I do not see how that is sooooo funny.Not everyone can ride as good as you guys who make fun of the others.

I know that most Harley riders are not great riders, but do you all have to be so mean?
1) I think you are blowing this waaaay out of proportion and over reacting with the chip that is on YOUR shoulder. There are enough members here who have damaged their bike by "throwing it down". As I read the posting I sensed more compassion for the rider and his bruised ego and ego-extension rather than disdain.

2) We, as a group, don't always (or even) ride that well, but some of us "work" at it by actually reading books and trying to apply the lessons, or taking a riding class (Pridmore, various MSF courses, Keith Code and other "hands on" workshops) with instructors who will critique and teach us techniques that make us better "pilots".

3) They COULD be better riders! I ride with several motorcyclists who ride Harley Davidson produced machines and they teach me because they are experienced and skilled. Not all H.D. riders are knuckleheads of knuckle draggers...only those who choose to be seen that way and then defend that position.

In my mind, no different than the "wannabes" who ride "yogurt cup" race-replica bikes or any other sub-group of motorcycling that refuses to see themselves as part of a "whole".

4) I'd very much prefer to NOT be included in:

....do you all have to be so mean?