Has anyone ever upgraded their bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely someone can get the GIVI attachment devices. IIRC, the European FJRs don't come (standard) with OEM side cases so there are many on that side of the Atlantic who run the GIVI set up.

I mean...er...wa2fst bought some. :blink: A.N.D. Joe2lmaker has them on the "fitment mule" bike. :dntknw:

Uhhhh...for those who are recommending a bag on the seat, his wife may (possibly, perhaps, likely) get a little testy having to straddle that or ride in the trailer....I'm jist sayin'..... :eek:

Ok, this is slick as snot! Is there rubber grommets under the bracket? I love the idea of this as a simple install for when one is long hauling, but not needed for everyday riding.

Garauld, roughly what would something like that cost?

Speaking of tail bags, I recently made a special bracket for a fellow rider that the bag's sissy bar pocket slips onto...

P1010583.jpg

P1010584.jpg

Every time I read this thread I wonder why someone can't simply take less junk with them instead of overloading the GVW of the bike. If that much stuff is required and adverse impact on handling isn't an issue, haul a trailer or get a Luxo-tour designed for those loads. I've done trips of 3 weeks with just the side bags. Take enough for 3 days and every 3rd day do laundry. Don't take hair dryers, 4 pairs of shoes, and only take multi-taskers. 2 days of stuff, 1 day for down time, rinse and repeat infinitely. A credit card and a dollar store have greater capacity than anything you can lug with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I read this thread I wonder why someone can't simply take less junk with them instead of overloading the GVW of the bike. If that much stuff is required and adverse impact on handling isn't an issue, haul a trailer or get a Luxo-tour designed for those loads. I've done trips of 3 weeks with just the side bags. Take enough for 3 days and every 3rd day do laundry. Don't take hair dryers, 4 pairs of shoes, and only take multi-taskers. 2 days of stuff, 1 day for down time, rinse and repeat infinitely. A credit card and a dollar store have greater capacity than anything you can lug with you.
+1! I've done a fair amount of LD and I think everytime I do it, I take less. the 3 days packout is best with a little room left over for things you might get on the way (such as a long sleeve FOG shirt!). I have yet to find the perfect extra pair of shoes tho that pack up right and are good for walking around when the boots aren't required.

However, for those that bring their wives and don't want a luxo-barge I can feel their pain! Tough to pack even if wifey is of the same mind for packing less when you consider 2 sets of riding gear, helmets, and essentials. Of course some of this will be worn while riding so not packed.

I guess that brings it back to a small towed trailer...

To go back to the question that kicked off the link, Twisted Throttle sells Trax aluminum cases and mounting kits for the FJR. Their link is https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trax-38-liter-evo-alu-box-topcase-powdercoated-black-or-aluminum . A few clicks from there and you get a complete installation - takes three separate parts and a bit of cash, but it gets a bolt-on solution to the question as asked. The other parts, beyond the case itself, are a Givi topcase rack and a Trax to Givi adapter.

It's a question I was asking myself after I noticed the cracks in my factory plastic top case mounting plate. My case had cracked after only 32,000 miles; I was able to reinforce it with some bolts, fender washers, and rubber washers, and the cracks didn't get worse. Unfortunately the mounting bracket failed only 3,000 miles later and I don't see any way to fix that.

Ugly is a matter of taste. To my eye an aluminum box doesn't look bad. I haven't pulled the trigger on a buy yet, but I'm leaning towards the big square box.

I like the look of those bags and at one time was even looking for something like that. Does anyone have some pics of these installed on the FJR?

Canadian FJR

While I can appreciate the carrying capacity of the rectangular aluminum cases, I don't really think they would look right mounted on an FJR. There are plenty of other options that are far more aestetically compatable, IMO.

Twisted Throttle does sell the SW Motech side racks to mount Givi (or any other kind of) bags on the 1st gen FJR here, and IMO those Givi E360 bags they show do not look too bad on the bike, with the added benefit of being 1/3 bigger in capacity (40 liters each).

If one color matched those lids to the bike they would look pretty darned good and functional too. The nice thing about the SWM racks is when you remove the bags you can also pull off the racks with 1/4 turn dzuz fasteners and the bike looks clean. I have these racks for my Vstrom.

KFTGIVI4.JPG.jpg

I've got the SW Motech side racks on my FJR, excellent bit of kit. You can buy adaptors from SW Motech to fit just about any pannier to their rack system. The FJR looks very "clean" which the rack unclipped. Word of warning, the system is quite wide with the large Givi panniers on and it is possible to touch the panniers down with aggressive riding.