Haulin Ashe's Yankee Loop 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Launch date is Monday June 16th!

:)

YL2008Overview.gif

YL2008Itinerary.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
At a quick glance it looks like a great trip. An you will be swiging back through my old home area (Buffalo/Niagra) Take some pics of the falls if you get a chance. I haven't been back there in 15 years.

When are you looking to take the trip?

Looks like a great ride! Also looks like you're concentrating mostly on the Blue Ridge Mntns and New England. I understand that you need to minimize time so as to get to the main areas of riding interest, but it's kind of a bummer cause Pennsylvania has some great riding.

-219 north thru PA ... particularly from I-76 to Rte 22 is not much fun. Scenery is not bad but it's not good riding. I would consider more circuitous but parallel route using Rte 40 to Rte 381 (great riding around Ohiopyle) to Rte 711 to Rte 403 and connecting back with 219 north of Rte 22.

-be sure to make a quick stop at Kinzua Bridge site that is just off Rte 219 near Mt. Jewett

-I noticed you are not stopping at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. A trip up the mount (and then down Rte 16 to re-join your original route) might be worth the memory!

-be careful around Albany ... traffic can be a killer and I saw ALOT of LEOs in that general area during my ride last year.

-on the return trip thru PA, it appears you are planning on taking the express route thru central PA by using I-99 after State College. I think this section is very blah and, if time permits, would urge you to consider taking a route along less-travelled roads just east of I-99.

Again, I understand the need to move along some areas of route as fast as possible. However, I see your route missing some great riding that can be had very near to your existing route. Then again .... something has to sacrifice with pretty every trip we take, huh?

Enjoy the ride! I very much look forward to reviewing this ride report!!

I can't speak for the entire route, but I would modify that corner of Mass. a little. From North Adams you can drop pretty much straight down into western CT and then back on course. There are some really nice roads there. If interested I can suggest a route.

How to you get those PDF maps that you can mark routes on like that? I always wanted to figure that out.

Your passing right by me in Albany, NY. If you need anything while in the area, give me a shout. Also, I'd be interested in joining you for a part of the ride if your looking for company.

How to you get those PDF maps that you can mark routes on like that? I always wanted to figure that out.
That's Microsoft Streets & Trips he's using to create his maps in (route planning w/ start, stops and end points). The process I use is to print the map as an Adobe PDF and then export as a compressed JPG file for upload to Photobucket.

I do my initial route plans in Microsoft Streets & Trips. It's great software. To make the viewable/printable maps, I print from S&T to Adobe Acrobat to make a PDF. Then I open the PDF with PhotoShop and color/mark/note, finally saving the file as GIF or JPEG from PhotoShop. GIF files work best for me since I post them up in PhotoBucket. Getting viewable files on the forum is a royal PITA, but there's no other practical answer available.

-I noticed you are not stopping at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. A trip up the mount (and then down Rte 16 to re-join your original route) might be worth the memory!
I plan to mark Mt. Washington as a favorite in the final GPS file. It passes on a day that is already pretty long. If everything goes okay (ferry schedule works out, etc.) then we will probably have time to do Mt. Washington. Just can't route to it until that day comes.

Your passing right by me in Albany, NY. If you need anything while in the area, give me a shout. Also, I'd be interested in joining you for a part of the ride if your looking for company.
As soon as the route is a finished product, I'll assign dates to the itinerary and riding partners are welcome. We would love to meet as many FJR folks as possible along the way.

I agree with an earlier poster that you don't want to miss a ride up Mt Washington Auto Road. You'll want to take a left in Bartlet (your point 19) and go about 10 miles north. Your missing a ton of good roads in VT and NH but I realize you can only ride so many. Ionbeam will probably have a few suggestions also because he and Nice Rumble run a couple of covered bridge rides in the fall. I wouldn't mind hooking up in the NH/VT area for a little ride along

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good route so far. You'll be about an hour from me when you're in Vermont. If you need anything let me know.

Tom

I sure would like to ride WP 8 to WP 39 with you. Looks great. What Ferry are you refering to?

When we going?

How are you going to handle the stress when you find out your tires are lasting twice as long as normal on New England roads? :D

I sure would like to ride WP 8 to WP 39 with you. Looks great. What Ferry are you refering to? When we going?

How are you going to handle the stress when you find out your tires are lasting twice as long as normal on New England roads? :D
It looks like he's taking the ferry across Lake Champlaign. If it's the same one I took back in '77 it runs from Burlington, VT to Plattsburg, NY.

Yep, ferry across Lake Champlain it is.

I hope it will be just like my WFO trip was last summer. I'll be pointing to my tires and yelling, "See, it was NOT me! Look at the tread left on those babies!"

Then when I get close to home... Poof! the tread is gone.

:)

I sure would like to ride WP 8 to WP 39 with you. Looks great. When we going?
Would love to have a riding partner. I'll be two-up, fully-loaded and therefore traveling sub-sonic most days. Why in the world you would want to ride WP8-WP9 is beyond me. There's just no way to get to the Adirondack mountains in reasonable time without doing 250 miles of slab from Niagara Falls. But if you are game, come on! Join wherever you wish.

I've decided NOT to post the exact dates on this open thread. Seems like giving an unfair advantage to the LEOs, and I'm afraid someone may alert the Redneck border patrol. :)

Sending you a PM with the dates now.