Haulin Ashe's Yankee Loop 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If time allows this little jog will help liven up the return trip.

Clicky This includes Smoke Hole Rd.

Hope this helps, the Google map will not show it but

the road does continue on and leads back to Rt. 220

near Upper Track,WV.

If you would PM me when you set the start date and maybe the

wife & I can lead the way for you on this leg.

Chuck

907qty.jpg

What Zorlac said!

I see that you plan on stopping at Fallingwater. Very cool and worth the trip! I visited about 17 years ago and the house was in a state of disrepair (it was built over a waterfall ... so time and moisture was getting the best of it). Now, however, I hear the house has been repaired and is in like-new condition.

(A brief aside: my wife and I centered the goal of touring some FLW homes for some of our weekend rides last year. Two (among many) that we saw: the Dana-Thomas house in Springfield, Illinois; and Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisconsin which served as the summer home for FLW and his students known as the "fellowship." You will enjoy Fallingwater and, if you're like us, you'll want to see more of his work in person!)

Speak now or forever feel guilty for not telling me so! :)
Well I thought I had messed with your plans enough, but since you put it that way how about this: Dragon in PA?. ;)
I was thinking of something to break up the PA sections. Actually the most miles I will log are in PA. But I'm afraid of overdoing the return leg with a cluster of side roads and not being able to ride hard in WV due to fatigue.

I made a note of Southern Bedford County PA in case I'm feeling fresh (or bored). :)

Edited

I'm not done. Killing Montreal in favor of limiting daily mileage to 350 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your route looks good. If you get near Rutland, VT you better look me up so I can ride with you a bit. As long as it's NOT between June 25th and July 4th. The wife and I will be headed for the BRP then.

Tom

Between Letchworth (11) and the Adirondack Scenic Rail (12) you may want to head slightly southeast for a run through Ithaca, NY and take in some of the fingerlakes area, it would be more interesting than areas between Rochester and Syracuse. There are roads that run along the lakes from North to South and would make for a nice ride. Ithaca itself is a really nice town with gorges, Cornell University, etc...and there is always Taughannock Falls State Park just outside of town which has a waterfall that is 33 feet higher than Niagra Falls! Its the highest free falling waterfall in the eastern US. Alot of wineries in that area also if that floats your boat.

After looking at your route I see you are in northern VT on about day 25. It looks like you'll be close to Smugglers Notch. It's a good sight to see if you are close. Look for RT 108 between Stowe and Jeffersonville. Nice curvy road and you get REAL CLOSE to nature (you'll just have to see what I mean). PM me if you need more info.

Tom

EditedI'm not done. Killing Montreal in favor of limiting daily mileage to 350 or so.
That's a good move. I just read an excellent trip report about a young guy on an FZ6 that toured across Canada and around the entire US for 49 days. He said he intended to do some sightseeing in Montreal but left the first day because "Everyone was trying to kill him." He hated the drivers there, and he was from Cananda and could read the signs!

I'm new to the Forum. I am going to run the 219 route through Seneca Rocks in WVA up to Latrobe and Ft. Ligonier area later this year (date not set). I'm right below you in Wilmington during the week. If you're entertaining fellow riders, I'd enjoy riding along.

Final route is done! Hotel reservations made, vacation approved and I can't wait!

Thanks to everyone for ALL your help.

It has come to my attention that it is a bit like aluminum foil on your head to worry about posting actual dates, so they are included in the Itinerary document below.

For those interested in joining, I would love to. Just PM me and we'll set it up.

YL2008Overview.gif

YL2008Itinerary.gif

I see a problemo!! :eek:

Your in the wrong part of the country and it doesn't include NAFO or Ft Worth! :p

Better re-tool that puppy. Rev-10 coming up! :D

Hi Jeff!

Just below your point 9 is Kane, PA, just off Rt. 219. I live there if you need anything. Also just north of there and below the town of Bradford, PA is a Honda - Kaw - Yamaha shop where I bought my FJR and FZ-1. They are relatively competent.

I am also heading out on a 10 day New England tour June 28 with some friends. From PA we are going up the CT / MA / ME coast - Rt 1 - to NB to see the 40 foot tides and PEI and then back through Rangely ME and NH - VT - Adirondacks - a lot of your route! We try not to use the slab much. Our main goal is to spot moose. We got great photos last year when we got stopped in the middle of a buffalo herd in SD.

Bon voyage!