Headlight lens deteriorating from the inside

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got word back from Yamaha that they consider the cracks in the plastic as a cosmetic flaw and not eligible for replacement under the YES. Guess I will have to wait until it becomes much worse and possibly affects my safety.

Just got word back from Yamaha that they consider the cracks in the plastic as a cosmetic flaw and not eligible for replacement under the YES. Guess I will have to wait until it becomes much worse and possibly affects my safety.
You could just do like I did and smash a deer. New headlight on the ins co.!! (not really recommended... :( )

You could just do like I did and smash a deer. New headlight on the ins co.!! (not really recommended... :( )
It would have some very precision deer smashing to get only the headlight lens. I might try it.

Precision? Nah... Got all kinds'a new blue tupperware in the deal too. ;)

And the deductible I paid out would have covered a new headlamp bucket, so on second thought maybe not such a great idea... :unsure:

Their were problems like this with the 2003 model. It was deemed a problem with the Mfg process, due temp when forming the lenses. - Fred
really? is there a tech note on this? i've never heard it before (and don't currently have the problem with my '03 SN 7xx). i've always used Meguire's clear plastic cleaner/polish.
Sorry Bounce,

I've miss typed useing the word "model". During the time period I had my 03 (Jul 02 - aug 06), I never had the crazing problem either. How ever, it was discussed on that "other" forum and operator error was also felt too not be the problem.

Dusty-

"Lexan" is a brand-name of polycarbonate. Like"Plexiglas" is a brand-name of acrylic. Lexan is exceptionally strong stuff and used for aircraft windows, motorcycle windshields (not all) and helmet visors. I believe cars use polycarbonate on their headlight lenses, too. Polycarbonate is sensitive to some solvents, and ammonia (found in many "Windex"-type window cleaners) will fog the plastic over time.

I go along with the chemical consensus stated above, but wonder if it could also be stress cracking. Molding processes can introduce internal stresses that can be worsened by thermal cycling, UV exposure and chemicals.

Good luck getting the tuning fork folks to make things right.

pete

Dusty-"Lexan" is a brand-name of polycarbonate. Like"Plexiglas" is a brand-name of acrylic. Lexan is exceptionally strong stuff and used for aircraft windows, motorcycle windshields (not all) and helmet visors. I believe cars use polycarbonate on their headlight lenses, too. Polycarbonate is sensitive to some solvents, and ammonia (found in many "Windex"-type window cleaners) will fog the plastic over time.

I go along with the chemical consensus stated above, but wonder if it could also be stress cracking. Molding processes can introduce internal stresses that can be worsened by thermal cycling, UV exposure and chemicals.

Good luck getting the tuning fork folks to make things right.

pete
I tend to think it is a mechanical process, or as you say stress cracking.