Headlights & windshield non function

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRbobliz

Reaction score
No headlight when ignition is on and fired up. However, high beam indicator is "on" when ignition is on. But no headlight is on.

I have rear lights, signal lights and 4-way flashers front and back.

Windshield only functions with ignition turned on. But when bike fired up windshield does not function up and down.

Horn not functioning either with or without ignition or running.

It seems to be a front-end problem only with electrics.

I have checked fuses... only found fuse for headlight... this fuse o.k.

Any ideas?

There are smarter fellers than me who will come along and provide assistance, but it will help them to know a bit more about the bike, such as what year, have there been any recent electrical mods done to the bike, have all recalls been done, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, what year is your bike? It makes a difference.

Have you recently had any work done on your bike? Did this just happen suddenly or was there some weirdness first? Have there been any previous problems?

Edit: I see wnyfjr already asked the good questions one whole minute ago
smile.png

Happened suddenly. Just completed long trip of approx. 10,000 km with no trouble. Moved the bike from driveway into workshop and discovered this problem... no headlight, windshield or horn. Had done a day trip last Sunday with no problem.

...However, high beam indicator is "on" when ignition is on. But no headlight is on...
Is the high beam switch on? With the engine running do you have either high or low beams? The engine has to be running to get headlights.

It's beginning to lean toward something fundamental like the ignition switch.

Do you have a volt meter?

Do you have the clock and odometer working on the display?

Is this a Canadian bike with an immobilizer? (May affect the ignition switch troubleshooting.)

High beam switch on. With engine running neither high nor low beam. I have a volt meter.

Clock & odometer working. American bike. New developments... windshield tries to go up and down... think battery is getting low. When try to put windshield up when turn ignition off a hum comes from the windshield mechanism and in order to stop the hum with the ignition off I have to disconnect the battery to stop the hum. Battery showed 12.8 on volt meter.

Volt meter showing 12.8. Nothing on the start button now. Ignition switch... could this be the issue?

Think I'm going to tear it down to windshield mechanism and see if this is an issue.

There is some weirdness going on here. The symptoms are not diverse enough to likely be a spider bite, yet too diverse to have a common single cause. The real curve ball is the high beam indicator light works on the dash so the headlights almost have to work. By itself, I would say that both headlights, both the high and low beam have burned out together. Actually this isn't such an unlikely thing, it does happen. But then there is the other stuff. You may want to pull a bulb and check it with an ohm meter just to prevent a lot of unnecessary pain.

The horn is on a primary power circuit so it is hard for it not to work if the engine is capable of running. The windshield gets power from two sources. Very strange that these don't work. You *probably* aren't going to find the problem at the windshield motor.

My first best suggestion is to pull panels and do a very careful and through inspection of connectors and wiring. This includes the ECU connector.

There is a common power circuit that feeds the horns, headlight relay and windshield, but if it isn't working I wouldn't expect the engine to start or run. Do your tail lights work? They are also in common with this primary power circuit. This circuit should be going through the key switch. You should check the key switch harness for condition and voltages early in the troubleshooting process. If the brake lights don't work it makes power at the key switch very suspect.

Let me think about this a bit more. This may be one time I'm going to take a walk on the problem.

Also have a look at the connectors under of the tank in the front side if they are clean..Disconnect them and put some contact spray on the terminals..

Your failure sure sounds like a ground spider failure like the one I experienced on my 07 and that I reported on in THIS THREAD. I'm not sure if you've had the spider recall done, but any dealer can check the computer to see if your bike has been done. If it hasn't been done, it's a free "fix."

The problem with the recall is that it doesn't address the spider that failed on my bike and some other FJR owners. If your failure is not fixed by the recall (ie, you have a different spider that failed), please post the results on THIS THREAD AND report your failure at Safercar.gov . Make sure to clearly state that the failed grounding connector is not the one being addressed by NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V-338. There's also a Canadian Safety Organization (You are in Canada I'm assuming), but have a US bike so I'm not sure which would be appropriate to report a failure?

A failed ground connector can't be ruled out but the '10 is outside the recall model year range.

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
SUMMARY:YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 2006, THROUGH MARCH 2009. THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR OF THE WIRE HARNESS COULD OVERHEAT AND BECOME DEFORMED, POSSIBLY CAUSING AN INTERMITTENT GROUND WIRE CONNECTION. IF THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS NOT PROPERLY GROUNDED, THE IGNITION SYSTEM AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS COULD MALFUNCTION, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL.

Probably a return circuit problem. The return circuit through the the horn button has become disconnected from the bike's overall return bus.

The headlight's return circuit is also likely isolated from the return bus. The high beam indicating light works but the headlights don't. If the horn circuit is corrupted the windshield control switches on the left handlebar are also corrupted and isolated -- they share a return circuit with the horn switch.