Heated Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Heading out in a few weeks on a long weekend - hoping the PNW rains have not set in yet at that point, but I am hoping to buy some heated gear before my trip. Probably just a vest or full coat liner. Any thoughts on the brand that is most excellent - #1 rated by 99% of all motorcycle riders? :D

I put two Powerlet sockets already on the bike (one in the left dash panel and one under my seat) about 3 years ago - so I was planning on heated gear at some point. Just never got around to it.

Anybody have some recommendations?

Kind Thanks

Scott

This question is almost NEPRT as you'll find members like Warm N Safe, Gerbings, FirstGear, Powerlet and others all for their own reasons. FWIW I use WarmNSafe with a wireless dual heat troller and of course that is the best. I suggest you get the full jacket liner rather than the vest. When you look into it, you'll find WarmNSafe makes FirstGear products and created much of the technology now in Gerbings and Powerlet.

Remember to call the owner Mike Coan, and associate your account with the forum so you get the group pricing. It's a substantial discount over posted prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all pretty good. I have Gerbings and it works great. Be sure to get dual controllers if you're getting gloves too.

My Tourmaster Synergy Jacket liner has been excellent. The thing gets HOT!. I usually run it on Low (3 settings). In sub 40 degrees at freeway speeds I can go to medium. I thought a vest would be the way to go, but love the feel of the heated arms so I'm glad I went with the full jacket liner.

Heated gear???? To make it hotter???!?!??! :eek:
Weird concept, Huh?

I've got the Gerbings and it works well. Recent ads say they are moving production and sourcing back to the USA. My Chinese stuff hasn't let me down, but I do get a hankerin for stirfry. :p

This thread popped up just in time, as I too am researching heated gear as well. Thanks for the Warm & Safe discount tip! Any pros and cons about the top brands would be helpful, or other pertinant information. Thanks again guys.

You don't ride below 45 degrees now, do ya?
I've been down to 25, but just going to work, not on the highway. Was plenty bundled, but wouldn't want to have gone any distance..... :)

Rarely see below high 40s in the daytime here, and layers have been enough for that, even on the road.

That said, discussing heated gear in early September is just ludicrous from my point of view. We've got 8-10 more weeks of 80s and 90s, at least.

I like my arms warm that's why I opted against the vest.

+1 on the dual controllers.

My Tourmaster Synergy Jacket liner has been excellent. The thing gets HOT!. I usually run it on Low (3 settings). In sub 40 degrees at freeway speeds I can go to medium. I thought a vest would be the way to go, but love the feel of the heated arms so I'm glad I went with the full jacket liner.
I concur. With your body behind the windscreen and your arms out in the breeze, your heat source management is better with heated sleeves. I've been using the Synergy a couple years now and like it just fine.

Warm n' Safe is the total bomb.

My wife and pillion is (unlike me) a little thing. She's 4'12" and 105 lbs sopping wet. When the temps dip down to merely the 40's she could not bundle herself up enough to ride with me.

Last year, I sucked it up and bought her a First Gear (aka Warm n' Safe) heated jacket liner and a dual controller. Why the dual controller, you ask? 'Cause I'm smart enough to know it wouldn't end with a jacket liner. Installed and ride tested by the pillion on a typical fall day ride (I think it was the Burdicks ride), it got an enthusiastic two thumbs up. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Much later last fall, November I think, I was riding with a local forum riding friend bbdig, and we happened to be passing by WhiteHorseGear in North Conway New Hampster. Well, nobody actually passes them by, they always go in to see what they have on hand. We did, and I walked out several hundred dollars poorer (on credit) as I purchased the same setup for myself, but I also went the extra distance of buying the heated drivers gloves at the same time.

Oh my gawd!! :eek: This stuff is the complete shit if you want to ride late in the season. I had run in previous late fall cold weather (talking down to and below freezing) with just lots of bulk and my heated grips. The liner and heated gloves are like night and day. I actually enjoyed and sought out opportunities to go out and use my heated gear.

Subsequently I got Goody W some passenger heated gloves, which she has of yet not tested. I'm sure that they will be equally as effective.

On the FJR, I really don't see the point of heated pants or pant liners. Of course I do ride a first gen, which has the built-in leg and crotch heating system... But my feet are the one last thing that still gets cold in really deep cold temperatures after more than 3-4 hours on the seat. A pair of heated sock liners, or foot beds may be in the future. But even without them I was able to ride every month of last winter (albeit a mild one) and managed to happily get out on one of the bikes so long as snow or ice did not cover the roadway. You can't really ask any more from heated gear than that.

First Gear Warm'n Safe... Fred W approved!

I've used a couple of previous generations of Gerbings heated liners, but i think next time I'll buy a Warm & Safe liner.

For some reason the Gerbings liner I currently have is REALLY short - like a good 1" above my beltline, and that's just in standing position. Riding, I can feel the lack of heat on my lower back. it's odd..

You don't ride below 45 degrees now, do ya?
I've been down to 25, but just going to work, not on the highway. Was plenty bundled, but wouldn't want to have gone any distance..... :)

Rarely see below high 40s in the daytime here, and layers have been enough for that, even on the road.

That said, discussing heated gear in early September is just ludicrous from my point of view. We've got 8-10 more weeks of 80s and 90s, at least.
Sort of depends on where you live. As I'm writing this Stanley Idaho is at 25 degrees F right now. My ride last weekend I was into the 40's on 3 different passes.

Before my heated gear I could get enough layers on to stay warm. One of the reasons heated gear is so nice is that you don't have to dress up like the Michelin Man when it's really cold. Cutting down on the layers saves room in the bags and lets you feel less restricted.

I'll also second what Fred said that I don't think heated legs are necessary. Even on the vastly superior Gen II there still is a nice warming effect for the lower half. Although when really cold, a pair of these feels fantastic in the bottom of your boots (available at most sporting goods stores):

51pzpguIivL._SS500_.jpg

? On the Warm & Safe. Anybody try/use their waterproof heated liner? I am thinking of getting this one to use under my Motoport mesh Jacket. It will allow me to omit the rain liner top in the winter, and I will still use the bottoms, I agree with everyone else that heated bottoms are'nt necessary.