Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the factory grips on the FJR and I have HotGrips on the FJ. Neither of them does much good below 30 F. I break out the Gerbings when it gets that cold. But, when it drops down to the teens, the grips and gloves combo is the only way to go.

At that temperature (teens).... the other way to go is by car.

Like another post, just noticed my left 2 year old hot grip is wore to the wire in one small spot. Right side is fine. Must be from grabbing the stiff clutch.

This year I added the heated Grip wraps from Aerostitch, $45. These are inside my hippo hands. Simple on/off switch no heat adjustment and some times they get really hot. A simple power lead to battery, I ran to switched fuse block.

This year I added the heated Grip wraps from Aerostitch, $45...Simple on/off switch no heat adjustment and some times they get really hot...
To be clear, these are Velcro wrap-around heaters that go over your existing grips and can be taken off. They are a total of 22 watts, where most heated grips and heat tapes run ~40 watts.

Hi Gang,

So I read about the grips and I think I want to go with either the OEM for my 09 FJR or dual stars....here are a few questions.

Can I still use the G2 tube with yamaha's heated grips? I really like the G2 and would rather not lose it.

And reading about Dual Star or other brands of sticky heated elements, I don't understand what a relay is or does? Is it difficult to install????

Where do I pick up a relay that is suitable for this use??

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I have plenty of time as Massachusetts is still under 3 ft of snow!

...Can I still use the G2 tube with yamaha's heated grips?...I don't understand what a relay is or does?...Where do I pick up a relay that is suitable for this use??...I have plenty of time as Massachusetts is still under 3 ft of snow!
I can't positively say that Yamaha heated grips will work with a G2 throttle sleeve, but I don't see why not. This has been discussed before so the answer is here someplace.

At full power the heated grips can draw several amps of current so the best way to deliver this kind of power is directly from the battery. You would connect one of the relay's switched terminals directly to the battery and the other switched terminal to the heated grip power controller. You would then be able to pickup any low current, low power wire such as the front running light to power the coil of the relay when the ignition key is on. When the ignition switch is turned on the running light gets power, which energizes the coil of the relay causing the high current switch in the relay to close and stay closed as long as the key is on. This way the grip power controller is off when the key is off; saves you from coming back to your bike and finding that the heated grips were on the whole time you climbed Mt. Monadnock and your battery is dead.

So, I gotta ask, why a G2 on a '09? The '06 & '07 had a non-concentric throttle pulley on the throttle bodies causing throttle tube movement to have a non-linear engine speed response. Right in the 3k rpm range a small amount of throttle movement would cause a larger increase in engine speed. The G2 throttle tube pulley has a mirror image curve to the throttle body pulley, thereby canceling out the non-linear response. Your '09 has a round throttle body pulley and a round throttle tube pulley so you will have a 1:1 throttle to engine speed response. By adding a G2 throttle tube pulley you have slowed the response between the throttle tube and the engine speed in the 3k rpm area. This should result in the engine speed lagging the rotation rate of the throttle as it is rolled on.

Here in NH our snow has lots of feets too. If it starts melting today I don't see it as being gone until April. And, I do hope it takes that long, 'cause if it melts all at once we will have the 4th Flood Of The Century in the past 6 years.

Edit: Since G2 is not a searchable term (needs to be more than three characters) I'll offer a couple of related threads on G2 throttle tube and OEM heated grip.

Done it!

Info on doing it.

Do you have the aluminum throttle tube or the plastic tube?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26732&view=findpost&p=312236

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gang,

So I read about the grips and I think I want to go with either the OEM for my 09 FJR or dual stars....herde are a few questions.

Can I still use the G2 tube with yamaha's heated grips? I really like the G2 and would rather not lose it.

And reading about Dual Star or other brands of sticky heated elements, I don't understand what a relay is or does? Is it difficult to install????

Where do I pick up a relay that is suitable for this use??

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I have plenty of time as Massachusetts is still under 3 ft of snow!
I'm not as familiar with OEM, but based on what little I do know, I think it should work...for all intents and purposes, it's just new grips.

A relay will allow you to hook up some electricals (in this case, heated grips) which will turn on/off based on an input signal. Typically, this input is a lead taken off the side marker light or something which would make it when the ignition is turned on/off.

Here's a wiring diagram from Heat-troller: https://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=61&chapter=40

Phroenips,

thanks for the reply, I bought the G2 after reading how it helps with the jerkyness when at low speeds....which it all but eliminates it. As far as at 3K rpms...I haven't noticed but now I will. :)

Maybe a ride this summer when and if snow is gone....

Dave

...Can I still use the G2 tube with yamaha's heated grips?...I don't understand what a relay is or does?...Where do I pick up a relay that is suitable for this use??...I have plenty of time as Massachusetts is still under 3 ft of snow!
I can't positively say that Yamaha heated grips will work with a G2 throttle sleeve, but I don't see why not. This has been discussed before so the answer is here someplace.

At full power the heated grips can draw several amps of current so the best way to deliver this kind of power is directly from the battery. You would connect one of the relay's switched terminals directly to the battery and the other switched terminal to the heated grip power controller. You would then be able to pickup any low current, low power wire such as the front running light to power the coil of the relay when the ignition key is on. When the ignition switch is turned on the running light gets power, which energizes the coil of the relay causing the high current switch in the relay to close and stay closed as long as the key is on.

So, I gotta ask, why a G2 on a '09? The '06 & '07 had a non-concentric throttle pulley on the throttle bodies causing throttle tube movement to have a non-linear engine speed response. Right in the 3k rpm range a small amount of throttle movement would cause a larger increase in engine speed. The G2 throttle tube pulley has a mirror image curve to the throttle body pulley, thereby canceling out the non-linear response. Your '09 has a round throttle body pulley and a round throttle tube pulley so you will have a 1:1 throttle to engine speed response. By adding a G2 throttle tube pulley you have slowed the response between the throttle tube and the engine speed in the 3k rpm area. This should result in the engine speed lagging the rotation rate of the throttle as it is rolled on.

Here in NH our snow has lots of feets too. If it starts melting today I don't see it as being gone until April. And, I do hope it takes that long, 'cause if it melts all at once we will have the 4th Flood Of The Century in the past 6 years.

Edit: Since G2 is not a searchable term (needs to be more than three characters) I'll offer a couple of related threads on G2 throttle tube and OEM heated grip.

Done it!

Info on doing it.

Do you have the aluminum throttle tube or the plastic tube?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26732&view=findpost&p=312236

Okay, I'm really confused about replying...I just replied to phoenips and meant to reply to ionbeam. sorry...this is confusing!!!!!I need to go back to surgery.

This year I added the heated Grip wraps from Aerostitch, $45...Simple on/off switch no heat adjustment and some times they get really hot...
To be clear, these are Velcro wrap-around heaters that go over your existing grips and can be taken off. They are a total of 22 watts, where most heated grips and heat tapes run ~40 watts.

seems like a quick and easy fix for very cold days - do you think they'll help even if I am using gerbings heated gloves?

seems like a quick and easy fix for very cold days - do you think they'll help even if I am using gerbings heated gloves?
If you gloves aren't warm enough, i'd consider the Hippo Hands before adding more electric. I can usualy go down to about 35-40 wearing regular medium weight leather gloves with the hippo hands on the bike.

The Yamaha grips have the wires embedded in them as opposed to the heat tape style of many heated grips.

Saw these in a recent Cycle Gear Ad for $60. Comes with a variable temperature controller (rheostat) and also has the wires embedded in the grips. Not advocating anything but it looked like a good deal.

Merry Christmas.
I think those may be the ones that someone on here tried, because the controller looks like the OEM one, and as I recall it had mixed reviews. Like not hot enough, didn't fit bars.
I tried a pair of those under the KOSO brand, and no, they absolutely don't fit an FJR. Too short, and not enough diameter. So, I've got a set of the Dual Star heat tapes I'm going to put on. I'll probably be able to go ahead and take a few photos and do a short write up on the process.

Thanks for all that replied...just ordered my OEM heated grips yesterday. With the price of gas soaring I need to start getting my bike ready for when the roads are clear of salt and crap.

Dave in snowy Massachusetts

I have some aftermarket heaters that I can't remember the brand on the G2. I wrapped the G2 (and clutch side)with fiberglass tape and epoxied on the heater elements. Something about the knurled machining damaging the element? Seems like you could do the same with the Yamaha warmers.

A Bosch 12volt relay from the auto parts store works fine, I used 30 amp but it could be smaller.