Heli Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuck amals

Reaction score
I just received and installed my new Russell Day Long seat. I took my wife for a short 40 mile ride. It seems to be a vast improvement over the stock seat. However, the additional height causes me to lean forward a little more.

When I purchased this 2006 FJR in the spring it came with a Heli Bar. It was new in the box with instructions but not installed. How hard is it to install? Would I be better to have dealer install it? Or should I just get a pair of those spacers that go under the bars? They seem much easier to install.

My goal is to achieve a more upright riding position.

I just received and installed my new Russell Day Long seat. I took my wife for a short 40 mile ride. It seems to be a vast improvement over the stock seat. However, the additional height causes me to lean forward a little more.

When I purchased this 2006 FJR in the spring it came with a Heli Bar. It was new in the box with instructions but not installed. How hard is it to install? Would I be better to have dealer install it? Or should I just get a pair of those spacers that go under the bars? They seem much easier to install.

My goal is to achieve a more upright riding position.
You can do the install. I am surely the least mechanically inclined person on this forum (ask Fred W) & I did it

after a couple of tries.

Hardest part is removing the security bolts from the ignition switch and having a 36mm or 1-7/16" socket for the stem nut. Read the instructions a couple times and you won't have any problems!

Good luck!

--G

Just did this myself.

If you're not GOOD with a drill, you may have trouble removing the bolt heads from the ignition switch. The bolt heads are designed to be 'theft resistant'... and they are a bit nasty to get out of the way. You need 5 or 6 towels on the tank (prevent scratching) and you also need someone strong enough to hold the triple clamp while you drill away (carefully). I had one that drilled off-center (my fault) and had to use a dremel tool to remove the remaining bolt. All in all, about 1 hour for the whole process.

The triple clamp spacers are pretty easy to install, they raise the bars just about as much as the triple clamps. What the triple clamps add is moving the bars closer to the seat. If you're just looking for height, the spacers would be the way, if you want height and bars moving aft, the triple clamps are the way.

I'm sure I can do the mechanical part but what worries me is some mishap that does cosmetic damage.

I called the local Yamaha dealer and they quoted me a price of $95.00 to install the my Heli Bar. I see bar risers for sale for around $70.00 on E-Bay. I would feel more comfortable installing these my self.

My questions are these: Should I buy risers, install them myself, and sell the Heli Bars and spent to profit on ...? Or have the dealer install my Heli Bars? What are the pros and cons. All suggestion are greatly appreciated.

The Heli triple clamp will bring the bars up and back. What will the risers you are thinking about do?

My preference is the triple clamp and add the Heli risers if needed. So far they are not.

Install was interesting for the Heli clamp. Glad I did it myself. $95 is not bad to have the dealer

install but the experience was worth much more to me.