$$ helmet farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Anyone out there with a Shubert C-3(?), or having tested one? I know its pricey but my ears have a devil of a time with earplugs when riding the fjr. If it is that much lighter and quieter then my Shoei multi-tech I might just bit the bullet.

I was looking at flips and in the interest of saving my hearing instead just went from an Arai to a Shoei Qwest. What a night/day improvement in weight and noise control!

Anyone out there with a Shubert C-3(?), or having tested one? I know its pricey but my ears have a devil of a time with earplugs when riding the fjr. If it is that much lighter and quieter then my Shoei multi-tech I might just bit the bullet.
I have a C3. It is quieter than any other modular I've tried, but I still need to wear earplugs.

It's at its quietest with the visor hard down, all vents closed and the neck area wind-proof. I find it impractical to do all this, it's either too hot and stuffy, or it tends to mist up even with its pin-lock visor when it's wet, so I never use it at its quietest anyway.

The inside is dished over the ears, plenty of room for speakers, so it won't press on the outside of plugs if that's what's causing you a problem.

Be warned. Its lightness is at the expense of ruggedness, it won't take much abuse, but it seems to be strong enough for the one time you hope you never need it for..

Numerous tests done by independent groups and magazines alike have shown that even the quietest helmets are at about 70 decibles at 70mph...If I remember right. Maybe it was 100 decibles, but that seems to be a lot. Either way, just about any helmet has enough noise in it at speed that the wearers hearing will suffer damage over extended riding periods.

Basically, regardless of brand and perceived quietness, we should be wearing ear protection.

It's the interest of me.

it is that much lighter and quieter?

You would said what is bluetooth intercom.

I have a C3 as well and agree with mcatrophy's comments completely. During winter when it was cool enough to have all the vents closed and the chin guard in, it was extremely quiet. I then added the custom bluetooth G4 which means you can't use the chin guard. Then the weather got warmer and the vents had to open. I rate the C3 as a fabulous winter helmet, but just an o.k. summer helmet.

If you have to have a modular, then it's almost assuredly the quietest option. However, I believe you'll be just as quiet if not better with a good full-face option.

I have a Shoei full face and it's about as quiet as can be combined with a good windsheild but i still need/use earplugs. I was tired of fussing with earplugs and made myself a couple pairs of these.

My link

I'm convinced it's the same stuff they sell at those booths at the bike show and charge you $30-40 for custom earplugs.

Depending on how much noise you want to suppress you can use half the material and make two pair with the amount supplied, so i made my wife a pair. I figure it kills about 22db with half of the material supplied, about 28-30db if you use all of it, but i had issues with fit using all of it.

Next bike show i'm going to learn the technique to inbed earphones in it. :headphone: