helmet lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker
Reaction score
Ok... I know I'm a newbe here... what does everyone due to lock their helmets up????

Used to the cruisers with the locks on it

Braided SS cable with loops on either end, about 1 - 1 1/2 feet long. Run thru chinbar(s), thru one of the loops, other loop over the lock tang of the seat. The cable passes thru the seam between the front and back seats. I think someone has a pick of this somewhere in here. I'd post a pic, but for some reason my computers can't find the photobucket server. Clearly I've messed up something on my Linksys router :angry2: ...

I bought two GoldWing (gasp!!!) helmet locks off ebay for about $20 (with keys). They have threaded mounting holes in the back, so you need to put them somewhere that the back is hard to get at or use security screws (tri-groove, spanner, torx etc) with thread-lock. I'm still looking for a suitable place, but the license plate frame would work - just worried about the heat from the pipes.

I might install one under the seat (might need an extension cable).

Last edited by a moderator:
Side case or top box if I have room. If they are full I use a 6 foot bike cable with combo lock. No key to lose. Get the straight cable not the one that is self coiling. You can run the cable through a sleeve of your jacket, pant leg of you pants, and the helmet. Cost about 15 bucks.

I have Premier Cycle's mounting plate for my Givi top box. They offer 1 or 2 locks that screw into the underside of the plate.

Braided SS cable with loops on either end, about 1 - 1 1/2 feet long. Run thru chinbar(s), thru one of the loops, other loop over the lock tang of the seat. The cable passes thru the seam between the front and back seats. I think someone has a pick of this somewhere in here. I'd post a pic, but for some reason my computers can't find the photobucket server. Clearly I've messed up something on my Linksys router :angry2: ...

Photo assist:

2929300040098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2731645090098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2274909890098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

+1 on the helmet gardian. Mounts under the license plate. Thats what I use when wifey and I are out and about and not away from the bike that long. When I commute and the bike is parked all day my lid is stowed in the top box and the bike is covered. Out of site out of mind. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who posted. It's funny. I bought this bike and inspected every millimeter of it before riding. I thought I was crazy. A motorcycle this advanced and no helmet locks? I checked the manual - nothing. I thought it was so obvious that they did not even print it. I then checked here and was surprised at no helmet locks. Anyway, thanks for the posts! Soon I'll no longer have to take my helet with me once I dismount. - John

BS (and I say that with the utmost respect),

I like this idea a lot. Can you provide more info on your install, or a link to same?

If I were to put a helmet guardian lock on my bike, this would be the best location (for those of us with the GIVI trunk mount), IMO. No offense to FJRTownsend, who makes another very nice alternative, for those without the GIVI metal rack.

PS - what's the green/yellow road bike up on the wall? I have an old fuji team that hangs in the same place on mine (too much)

I got the locks off of a license plate lock. Helmet Guardian Locks. They have a dimple in them, so you need to drill a small relief hole. Removed the bolt holding the Givi Rack in place and replaced it with a longer bolt with a tapered head. You insert the head of the bolt through the lock and put the locking nut in from the top. I used a pair of needle nose pliars to hold the nut and snugged it up from the bottom. It works well.

Since I already had these I opted not to buy the locks that go with and are made for the FJR/Givi replacement rack that I bought. I REALLY like this top plate. It moves the box back by a couple of inches which gave Mrs. Squirrel a lot more room. Now she does not keep pushing me forward.

You can see where the locks mount further out and back on the new rack

HelmetLocks2.JPG

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend the Givi replacement plate and the optional locks that are made for the system.

I am attending NAFO, so you can look them over if you like.

The bike on the wall is a Trek.

Excellent. Thanks.

I think the only things I might do to improve on your setup wold be to maybe flip the lock mounting so the key hole is more accessible with helmets locked on.