Helmet talk....what are you wearing??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone try the RF1100 with any of the new generation of Bluetooth Intercoms (Scala, etc.)? If so, how do they fit?
RF1100 + Sena SMH10 seems to work pretty well. The SMH10 doesn't end up touching the exterior shell at all (it clams on the rubber surround thing), but it's very solid. For me, I had to position it as far back as I could to help ease the feeling of tearing my ear off when taking the helmet off :)

Shoei RF1100 (which had to have cheek pieces changed for fit), and a Shoei Hornet DS (did not need to change a thing). These are the two that are actually getting use this season.

I got an RF 1100 about 500 miles ago and I love it. It's quiet and its one of the first helmets that I have owned that you can really tell the difference when the vents are open or closed. It does fog a bit on cold mornings. If I crack the shield a bit or lower the windshield to get the helmet in the air stream there is no problem. I think the pin lock shield would solve this easily.
My helmet is a large. The helmet seems larger than the POS Zox that I replaced it with. I have to position it just right to get it into the side bags. I don't think a RF 1100 in XL would fit in the side bags. It is also a bit tight in the GIVI E52. The visibility is also great.
+1...also, the RF1100 is very stable at speed. My old Zox would really get buffeted but the Shoei cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter. I can even cruise the slab with the windshield in the lowest setting, my preferred position for hot days. Like Happy says, the ventilation really works but I disagree on the side bag storage. I wear a XXL and it fits fine. Another nice feature is the way my eyeglasses fit, they really snug up and stay there. It's the best fitting helmet I've ever worn...bigjimbiker :ph34r:

Shoei RF-1000, size XXL.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

It's not the quietest helmet around but the ventilation is good on all but the coldest days. When it's really cold out (mid 30's and below) the helmet tends to fog at low speeds even when the nose piece is inserted. This goes away when air speed > 30 mph. But it does take a while sometimes. Helmet is comfortable and fits my block head well.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0760.jpg

Wee Willy I like the back of your helmet - Guess you earned that! :clapping:

For me I Just got a Shark Evoline (Series 2)

It feels heavy in your hand - but well balanced on your head.

Love the locking to 3/4 position for eating-on-the-go

The drop down sun visor is great!

Still have KBC/HJC and Bells on shelf for short trips.

I have a Shoei RF1000 , have also had 2 Schuberth's . It's a great helmet , but I'm probably going to get a Multitech next time because putting on glasses is a pain.

The Symax has served me well for years. Fit and comfort are great, but lots o' noise and buffeting. Ear plugs take care of one, but I'm looking at the Multitech now and understand they tend to fit a similar shaped noggin as the HJC.

The Symax has served me well for years. Fit and comfort are great, but lots o' noise and buffeting. Ear plugs take care of one, but I'm looking at the Multitech now and understand they tend to fit a similar shaped noggin as the HJC.

I had a Symax...for me , the Multitech is more comfortable, quieter, better air flow, and just feels more solid.

jaycurve2.jpg

I had been an Arai guy for years, had a Signet GT and then an Astral. While shopping for a new helmet for the wife, the sales guy talked me into trying the RF1100 on. After trying it and all the new model Arai offerings, I found the Shoei had the best fit, feel and comfort for me. It's also very quiet on the road compared to my Astral. So, we now have matching RF1100's:

2f19b99de86dc979c617f31a83b0fd3a_refined.jpg

Current helmet HJC IS-16 (soon to be outfitted with the Sena SMH10 com system).

I have only had it a week, but it is super comfortable on my round head. It feels very similar to my Shoei RF 800, but due to the top exterior vents and internal tinted shield slider, it is a little more noisey.

+1 Shoei X-11

Last night took out the liners and washed them. Cleaned up the visors and applied new electrical tape to block the sun.

Ordering the spectra gold visor in a day or two.

I firmly believe that full-face, lightweight, and vented is the best way to go.

Have worn Arai's for years, just a good fit I guess is it... this one currently:
Arai-Astro-Race-Tattoo-Silver_350_OYWD.jpg

This is a youtube vid I did of replacing the shield... some people actually liked it :) hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFf4867XGI
Try setting the helmet down on a table, facing away from you and work from behind it. It's faster and you never have to touch the field of the visor so no finger prints and smudges to clean off after it's mounted.

Anyone try the RF1100 with any of the new generation of Bluetooth Intercoms (Scala, etc.)? If so, how do they fit?
RF1100 + Sena SMH10 seems to work pretty well. The SMH10 doesn't end up touching the exterior shell at all (it clams on the rubber surround thing), but it's very solid. For me, I had to position it as far back as I could to help ease the feeling of tearing my ear off when taking the helmet off :)
Not to keep copying but . . .

How did you manage to get the clip for the SMH10 inserted in the RF1100? I tried pushing it between the shell and the cushioning, and it wouldn't go. (Or do I remove the cushioning?)

How did you manage to get the clip for the SMH10 inserted in the RF1100? I tried pushing it between the shell and the cushioning, and it wouldn't go. (Or do I remove the cushioning?)
LOL, I guess I just jammed it in there. separated the clip part completely, inserted between the shell and the liner. It didn't go in easily, but it wasn't too difficult.

I just retired my 2 year old HJC AC-12, it was pretty worn out already and a spill while on the Trans American Trail in April left some nice rash on it. I picked up another AC-12 on closeout and while at it I ordered a KBC Magnum. It fits great, quality seems very good, looks good, and was CHEAP. It is also DOT and Snell approved. So far HJC and KBC helmets are the only helmets I have tried on that fit my alien shaped head.

I might look at the KBC FFR in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, I guess I just jammed it in there. separated the clip part completely, inserted between the shell and the liner. It didn't go in easily, but it wasn't too difficult.
Man, I'm still not getting it. Not seeing how to then get the cheek pad back in its slot with the clip in place. I fear this Sena device is going to go into the great Stuff I Bought But Can't Use drawer.