Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted my new helmet to be as farkled as my FJR - pin lock visor, integrated sun visor, multi-path ventilation, aerodynamics tested in a wind tunnel for super quiet noise abatement and flip front. So when the new Schuberth C3 became available here in Canada, I started lusting after it. After selling my old bike I had a few bucks so on Saturday I replaced my 4.5 year old BMW System 5 helmet (made by Schuberth) with the new Schuberth C3.

Besides, a key piece of gear like a helmet can make or break any trip - a noisy, uncomfortable helmet, while better than no helmet, is no fun and makes a long trip that much longer and tiring. A proper fitting helmet that is quiet and has features like pin lock and a sun visor not only adds greatly to overall safety in general, but because you're less fatigued you can ride longer and safer - and that's a good thing.

And since my head is the most valuable part me, $800 is money well spent in my opinion.

Ian

Of course, the MOST important thing is to get a helmet that fits you properly...

Arai helmets are probably out of your price range, but this video may help in making sure you get a proper fitting helmet: https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92
I second that the fit is the most important part about ANY M/C helmet. Arai might not have to be out of the price range if you look in the right places. For my noggin only ARAIs are a good fit, and believe me I tried on any brand I could get my fingers on. When I decided to look for a Quantum II about three years ago I found a new in the box racing version on ebay from a big M/C outfit in the Midwest. They sold about 30 of these at the same time, and I focused in on the only auction they had that was not a "buy it now". It ended on a Wednesday morning 3 am, and I scored it for $250 plus shipping - best helmet purchase I've ever made. My point is, first look for fit, then look around where to get the best price. If the ARAI is the best fit, don't let a $500-$800 sticker price at the dealer get to you, look online first before giving up on it.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a "long oval" head shape. I've long wanted an Arai Profile (because it fits that shape), and I found one "on clearance" for $333 from Competition Accessories in a graphic that apparently didn't sell well. That's about $200 cheaper than most Profiles. The Graphic looks fine to me (I really don't care). Anyway, it is so much quieter, flows much more air, and it fits better than the Shark RSI and Scorpion EXO 400 that I also have. But, I agree one should pick the one that fits. Only problem around here is the dealerships only carry the very cheapest helmets, and not a very good selection at that. So, I took a chance, ordered the Profile, and while taking a bit of a risk, I could have easily returned it.

Oh, and I also tried an HJC Symax a couple of years ago. This was the noisiest helmet I've ever used, literally deafening, I sold it to my neighbor.

Have a Nolal N103 and realy like it, fits me good and being a modular it is great to be able to lift up the front and hold a conversation

I am using the Bell Star that I bought on closeout with a transitions face shield. Very nice helmet. I love the fit and finish. Comfortable, great airflow and it looks spectacular. The transitions face shield was pricey at $119, but after having it for a year now, I must say it is probably the best setup I have ever had.

lg887702429.jpg

I got a Shoei RF 1100 from cycle gear website for 299 shipped free. The helmet was 1 year old so i think it was a mass buy by CG to sell this helmet cheap. I have had top helmets from Arai & Suomy and this is as good as they are. Check CG for deals. Protect the bean.

I have a Schuberth C2. Had it for going on 5 years now, so it is getting to be time to replace it. It fits me pretty well, no pressure points that bother me excessively. Very happy with the flip style, but definitely would be hard to add audio to it without introducing pinch points I think. I was looking at the C3 just this afternoon on-line and really didn't want to even consider it because of the $700 price tag, but as others in this thread have reminded me, consider the value of the item you are placing in this helmet. What's it worth to you? I have only tried on a few other brands in a local dealer showroom, and can't remember what they were (that was before the C2). Fit is definitely different among the various manufacturers, so sample as many as you can before making a decision. Then do your homework looking for decent prices and you should be able to make it all work. I have to start saving for that C3 now...

Although I don't know how well it works on the FJR, I have had a Nolan N103 for a bit over a year now and couldn't be happier. It fits my "long oval" head just perfectly with no pressure points, and the geek in me is able to enjoy the N-Com system to hook up to my iPhone while I ride so I can listen to audio books on those long highway stretches :)

I had a Vega Summit 2 before that which is a decent cheap helmet. It was a little noisy though, and when my girlfriend was behind me for some reason I got a lot of bobbing at moderate to high speeds. The Nolan is a lot better for that, but I still keep the Vega around as a nice spare.

I don't think price reflects the SAFETY of a helmet as they have to be DOT or SNEL approved. There is no evidence one protects better in a crash because there are to many variables. Likely if a helmet saves your life any competitors helmet would have also. Price mostly reflects brand, fit, and finish. All I am trying to say is don't consider a $700 dollar helmet safer than a $300. But by all means spend the money to make yourself the most comfortable. It's all about the ride!!!

KBC, HJC, Arai, Nolan, Shoei, I've had all of these (and I was wearing the KBC for my one and only wreck, so it did the job). The Arai and the Shoei are definitely quieter and lighter (I had a Quantum f and currently have an RF1000)., and if you don't mind last years graphics, you can usually find some dealers will closeout the less popular models at reasonable prices. I bought my Shoei RF1000 from Bike Bandit; between the closeout price and my AMA discount I got it for $280 or so shipped.

Now that I have the FJR I suppose I need to get a proper helmet, fullface I suppose. I've always had a cruiser and a half helmet, which I think would probably look a bit "out of place" on an FJR. What would be some of the best bangs for the buck in a fullface say for under $300 or so.
I know they are a bit noisier than the true full face, but I have been using a Scorpion Modular for the last year or so and like the ease of being able to raise it up a bit during hot weather. :)

I'm running an HJC Symax modular & I'm in the market for something else (Shoei Qwest or Multitec??) - the wind noise w/the Symax is deafening which makes it difficult to hear that 1298 cc symphony of Yamaha goodness from under the fairing.......

As a bonified helmet junkie (don't ask how many I have), I count myself as another satisfied Shoei Qwest owner. I don't usually get involved in these helmet discussions but was compelled to do so as this helmet (for me) has been money well spent. This Qwest is quiet, comfortable, and affordable. ;)

As a bonified helmet junkie (don't ask how many I have), I count myself as another satisfied Shoei Qwest owner. I don't usually get involved in these helmet discussions but was compelled to do so as this helmet (for me) has been money well spent. This Qwest is quiet, comfortable, and affordable. ;)
+1 I just purchased two Qwest helmets for $360/ea on sale. I thought they were a considerable deal for being non-solid colors. Very comfortable for my head shape and extremely quiet. I've yet to give it a thorough test in 80+ temps but so far I am extremely impressed. Makes riding in my Aria XD3 appear as if I'm stuck in a tornado.

IMG_2977-Copy.jpg

Shoei and Arai

IMG_2979-Copy.jpg

IMG_2978-Copy.jpg