Help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbart

Reaction score
Hi all.Need help!At appx. 100 mi.,I changed the oil and replaced filter with a Puralator One 14610.Here's my problem.Yesterday while performing the 600 mi. service,I couldn't get the Puralator filter off.The grainy yellow covering crumbled in my wrench causing the wrench to slip and spin but not grasp.I tried to put a rubber glove over the filter to get a better grip to no avail.After several attempts and 2 different type wrenches,I found the underside of the filter slightly indented.I imagine it was from the force of the wrench.I decide to drive a screw driver thru the filter for leverage.I totally mangled the filter and never got it to unthread.The part of the filter that makes a seal with the (engine?) remained on.I'm trying to describe the outer rim of the filter on the side that screws onto the engine.Well, I did damage to this part of the bike with a screw driver trying to get the remaining parts of filter off.I got the new filter on but am now getting some drops of oil on the ground.I rode the bike for appx.40 mi.after and didn't get any noticable scent of oil burning off the pipes.What is the part called that the filer screws onto?If I have to replace it,how much am I looking at in parts and labor?

The oil filter mounts directly to the lower half of the crankcase. You do not want to have to replace that. :nono:

I'm visualizing that you scratched up the machined surface that the filter's o-ring rubber seal mates to. I would look at ways to fill the scratches like maybe using some JB Weld or something similar if the scratches are deep. If they are not too deep, maybe some polishing with abrasive material will restore the sealing surface?

Maybe you were just to paranoid to tighten the new filter enough?

Did you notice any scratches on the surface Fred mentioned?

A picture of the damage will make it easier for us to determine how bad it is. One man's scratch is another man's gouge. You may be able to clean it up with some careful, gentle work with very fine sand paper on a good stiff sanding block.

A car filter, like the 14610, has a bigger rubber gasket, with more surface area, than a motorcycle filter. So, it has more friction when tightened. In the future, a filter with an abrasive outer surface can be installed with no tools. Just hand tighten.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not good. :ph34r:

Where are you from? Second visual opinion may be helpfull

Can you post a pic?

Having done some moldwork in my day and dealing with scratches this may be better left to someone else to determine. I am hoping my wally world filter comes off O.K. now. It wasn't the same feel as replacing with stock Yami filter. Doesn't leek though. Which reminds its time for an oil change. I would go back to the Yami filter and see how that one performs. (no leeks) For $13 in change its worth a shot.

Good luck,

Dave

Reread the OP.

If you did not notice any scratches or gouges to the sealing surface of the crankcase, it is entirely possible that the drops of oil on the ground that youi noticed are just the "normal" residue from having removed the filter. There is a little rectangular hollow area on the side of the crankcase housing directly beneath the oil filer that likes to catch oil and then drip out of its weep hole later on. Maybe your filter is not leaking afterall?

Try cleaning up the are really well with degreaser, etc and then ride it for a while and see if it's still dripping.

If I understand this correctly you scratched the mating surface removing the filter using a screwdrived on the lip of the filter. If that's the case you scratched the mating surface outside of where the actual mating occurs, the gasket is underneath the lip. My guess is that you didn't do any harm.

I'm with Zorlac & Fred on this one. Don't really see how you can mangle the engine lowers that badly. Zorlac aptly pointed out that your original experience prolly just made you paranoid for next time.

I would be!

I'm learning vicariously through you - thanks

but yeah, post some pics pls

FWIW, the most likely reasons that the filter stuck on there was either it was put on dry (without oiling or greasing the o-ring) or it was overtightened. In the future, make sure to lubricate the rubber seal on any new filter with fresh oil or a light coating of grease, and then hand tighten only. With oily hands you can't overtighten it that way unless you spend too much time in the gym. ;)

Reread the OP. If you did not notice any scratches or gouges to the sealing surface of the crankcase, it is entirely possible that the drops of oil on the ground that youi noticed are just the "normal" residue from having removed the filter. There is a little rectangular hollow area on the side of the crankcase housing directly beneath the oil filer that likes to catch oil and then drip out of its weep hole later on. Maybe your filter is not leaking afterall?

Try cleaning up the are really well with degreaser, etc and then ride it for a while and see if it's still dripping.
That's my guess ...

If I understand this correctly you scratched the mating surface removing the filter using a screwdrived on the lip of the filter. If that's the case you scratched the mating surface outside of where the actual mating occurs, the gasket is underneath the lip. My guess is that you didn't do any harm.

Your guess is dead on.That is exactly what happened.Went to the mechanic today after a 15 mi. ride and no oil leaked when I stopped.I realize the oil was still hot but that's a better omen than seeing drops of oil.His suggestion was to take the bike back home ,clean the panel that has trapped oil and monitor for any signs of new leakage. Should that occur ,I believe Geezer"s suggestion of fine sand paper to reestablish a better seal area should work.Thanks everyone.Sleeping easier tonight.

Never ever drive a screw driver through an oil filter that is stuck. Use Channel Locks, thats what god made them for.
I just bought an oil filter wrench a few weeks ago and haven't used it yet, but for the 35 years before that I've always used a screwdriver stabbed through the old filter. Never had a problem with it other than the mess it makes.

I have a ;large set of Channel locks that I use for this. They are really huge but work great. I dont use a screwdriver anymore.

:dribble: :dribble: They actually make oil filter pliers people. Almost any auto parts store will have them.

+50 on what FredW said. Oil or grease the gasket/o-ring on the filter and hand tighten only. And you don't have to reef it as tight as you can. The cup style filter wrenches are great if they fit the filter you use perfectly. I.E. The Yamaha wrench on the Yamaha filter.

The panel under the filter always catches some oil when I do an oil change. I just wipe things up with a rag.

Do we need to discuss drain plugs and crush washers kbart? No torque wrench!

[SIZE=24pt]AND...[/SIZE] When dealing with a stuck filter that you finally get off, ALWAYS look at the filter mount area on the bike/car to make sure the old gasket isn't stuck there. Double gasketing can cost you a LOT of money! Hey, I'm here for you guys...

[SIZE=24pt]AND...[/SIZE] When dealing with a stuck filter that you finally get off, ALWAYS look at the filter mount area on the bike/car to make sure the old gasket isn't stuck there. Double gasketing can cost you a LOT of money! Hey, I'm here for you guys...
And it can also cost you (and your passenger) your life when you oil up the back tire after a double-gasketing. An inspection at idle may not reveal the leaks you will have under full oil pressure at speed. Don't ask how I know this, blah, blah...