HELP!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honzo

Reaction score
I've been obssessing about the Feej for several months now, but Damn it if there isn't something that could be the most serious competitor for my attention!... the Can-Am Spyder. https://spyder.brp.com I tried NOT to look into this thing BECAUSE it is so neat but the more I read the more I like it. It looks cool as hell and appeals to my desire to be different in a big way. It has a trunk. It has traction control. It doesn't fall over if you forget the kickstand. You can turn on gravel and snow. It has reverse. It has a stability system that helps keep all three wheels down. I've read two road tests on line and it makes high marks.

The downsides would be the wait time to get one, the cost of accessories (but I don't need much), and maybe the front end isn't as sleek as it could be. I'm starting to think less along the lines of having a motorcycle and more on having a "personal transport". THis may only be an infatuation but please help me. I don't want to give up on my dream of an FJR but can only have one bike so...

HIt me upside the head with some valid reasons and good sense as to why a guy should NOT own one of these things.

Yes, yes, I know already that chicks won't dig it. My wife does, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see them as the least of two worlds...you don't have a bike and you don't have a car.

Apparently they can be annoying on worn roads where the tire tracks are lower than the center of the road, their width of track doesn't fit well. The other problem with trikes is that dodging debris and potholes is difficult.

Also the power to weight ratio doesn't compare to many bikes.

There ya go, enjoy your FJR! :yahoo:

Or....you could buy one and then give us a great "Owners Report". :clapping:

However, I don't know how much the resale might be when you want to "trade up" to an FJR....and whether or not your Wife-unit will appreciate that depreciation. :eek:

check with insurance company about if they rate these as a prototype, how much to insure spider verses an fjr. How hard will it be to get replacement parts if your in a wreck,,, or 5 years later after company folds.

Or....you could buy one and then give us a great "Owners Report". :clapping:
However, I don't know how much the resale might be when you want to "trade up" to an FJR....and whether or not your Wife-unit will appreciate that depreciation. :eek:
I Drove/rode one a few months ago and i think they are dangerous. Seems to me that if you went round a corner at any speed (not that i would know) you would fly over the side of the damn thing, trust me i found out the hard way.

R

I Drove/rode one a few months ago and i think they are dangerous. Seems to me that if you went round a corner at any speed (not that i would know) you would fly over the side of the damn thing, trust me i found out the hard way.
R

HELP!!!!, I'm afraid of the Spyder
Okay, I'll help.

[SIZE=18pt]Be afraid; Be very afraid![/SIZE]

(There, does that help?)

My experience as well - even though they supposedly have a body roll control system they tend to tip you to the outside of a turn - positively scary. That it can go 100 mph is absurd - then again, I've seen pros put them through their paces and it just might require gaining experience.

Having said that, I will never buy one of those things for myself.

And - it certainly is not a prototype - they are in full production.

I spent about 30 minutes on one of these things. At any real speed, it's a very frightening experience. It's way too sensitive to steering input to be comfortable. I tried to take it up to 60 - 70 MPH on a good, straight road. A REAL WHITE-KNUCKLE EXPERIENCE. And, as many have noted, cornering one of these things is not fun either. It wants to throw you off to the outside of the turn....and grabbing the handle bar to try and hang on is the worst thing you can do. All-in-all, this is one machine you had best ignore.

The Can Am Spyder was my first choice before getting back into motorcycling after a 7 year leave of absence. It looked unique and "seemed" to be more convenient to operate. Then I looked at the dynamics of it and realized that it would be like riding a snowmobile or a quad at speed. With anything but sedate driving, it is a lot of work. Since it doesn't lean, cornering can be a strenuous affair. Stability control doesn't defy the laws of physics. If you ride it like the average person rides a motorcycle, you WILL work or you'll come home everytime with dirty underwear. It's not supposed to be that way. It's supposed to be fun. Granted, if you really wanted to, you could equip it with snow tires and ride it all winter. I mean, really, it's just a snowmobile with wheels (and a lot of gears and reverse). An interesting concept none the less. I think the uniqueness and novelty of it will wear pretty thin pretty fast. I ended up with the FJR.

In Canada, these are insured as motorcycles.

I was just calling a buddy of mine in Austin, and his wife informed me he wasn't home because he had to go to Florida to pick up HIS NEW SPYDER :yahoo: She's expecting him home later tonight. He's trailering it home so won't have a ride report for a while, but she said it's currently about 80deg there so I'm sure he'll be out on it this weekend.

We're heading to Mexico for a week, but I'll talk to him after I get back and see if he has some thoughts on it.

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xviper is right on. Don't expect anything but a snowmobile on wheels. Actually thats unfair, a snowmobile feels a lot safer at speed.

:jester:

I'd think it would be easier from a CAGE to a Spyder.....than from a BIKE to a Spyder.

I'd think once someone was used to the dynamics of a motorcycle it would be a HUGE leap to be comfortable on the Spyder. Riding on a Spyder without motorcycle experience, a new owner may not notice the "twitciness" or design instability as much as we would, coming from our platform.

Honzo, I did a demo ride on one this year at Lake George. First of all it is NOT a motorcycle. It has great brakes and is quick, not as quick as a FJR though. The biggest problem I had with it is that you "ride" it like as if you were riding a quad. You don't counter steer so us being used to a MC will have hard time at first. I think its so different that there should be a seperate licience type not a MC one. I thought it was fun but needed alot more time to learn how to ride it.

Honzo... Honzo... :uhuh: All your previously postings about wanting a FJR so badly, and now this? :nono: