Here ya go, jestal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radman,

Debating Smokey's credentials is one thing. Making personal comments about me is another.

In your list of who is smokey you left out the most important item.... "Legend in his own mind"

Have you ever talked directly with Smokey Yunik? I have on many occasions. He even snuck me into the hot pits at Indy for several years when I would meet him there. No one would argue with Smokey if you were with him...LOL. He is truely a character and I really like him for that. He is very practical, intuitive and innovative. He also believes his own BS. Just because he "invented" things like the "hot vapor engine" and "reverse flow cooling" and shills for "Prolong" does not mean that those things work. They are just more cockeyed BS that Smokey was a proponent of.

Least you think that I dislike him or disrespect him consider that I have a large picture of his famous Daytona 66 Chevelle (that was 7/8 scale) personalized and autographed by him framed and hanging in my garage. He was a neat guy....but mostly a realy character.

Smokey would milk an idea like the hot vapor engine or Splitfire spark plugs or Prolong for all it was worth. Whether it worked or not.

You are correct about me. I am a no body. I am not in any way a "tech master" on this or any forum and never claimed to be. I resent your sarcasm in that respect. I'll be sure and avoid painting that picture in the future. Neither do I shill for nonsense items like Splitfire and Prolong and such. Ruins your reputation. People begin to think you may not know what you are talking about if you shill for worthless shit like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like getting my hands warmed for free, from my widescreen wireless laptop in the midst of winter. :D

Here I was thinking only tire threads could give off any decent heat. :reading:

I am not in any way a "tech master" on this or any forum and never claimed to be.
Now hold on thar Jestal! Ya shouldn't just go and deny your heritage as a member of this forum over one little 'ol sideways comment! If you're not the tech master around here, then just who the hell is?

Just cuz Radman has a life size gold statue of Smokey and owns stock in Prolong, Splitfire and now these fancy ass plasma plugs don't mean you should leave us techmasterless.

How else will we keep from going off the deep end? Without you, someone would have already started a pointless, never ending thread about using prolong so's they could drain their oil outta the FJR for good, and just run without!

Personally, I think the admins oughtta change yer handle from FJR Pilot to Techmaster At-Large.

WJ

I am not in any way a "tech master" on this or any forum and never claimed to be..
You are the "Oil-Guru" wheither you like it or not! A lot of us have a lot of experiance with car/bike motors but you do it for a living at the Mfg. level and have yet to be proven wrong on the subjects you know.

You are correct about me.  I am a no body.  I am not in any way a "tech master" on this or any forum and never claimed to be.  I resent your sarcasm in that respect.  I'll be sure and avoid painting that picture in the future.  Neither do I shill for nonsense items like Splitfire and Prolong and such.  Ruins your reputation.  People begin to think you may not know what you are talking about if you shill for worthless shit like that.
Where do you see me shilling for the snake oil crap? I just didn't like you dissin' the Smoke. Plain and simple.

Edit-oh and a suggestion. I too have gotten kindergarten whiney here and deleted threads when someone wacked my ego, or, more accurately, I thought someone had. I then stopped posting for a while. Turns out few gave a ****. The joke was on me, and was of my own making. Don't stop posting and/or deleting your stuff. Your input is too valuable, and you'll find the ego takes a bigger whack when no one starts a "Where's Waldo" for ya.... ;) :D

<SNIPOLLA>
Who Was Jestal?

*Tech Master on FJR Forum
wave.gif

In your list of who is smokey you left out the most important item.... "Legend in his own mind"
You guys know Smokey Holland, one of the coaches at Moore High School?

WOW! It really is a small world.

Where do you see me shilling for the snake oil crap? I just didn't like you dissin' the Smoke. Plain and simple.
I didn't mean you. Read the post. I was talking about Smokey Yunick shilling for a bunch of snake oil salesmen. It tarnished his credibility tremendously which is what started this whole discussion.... the mention of his name regarding the plasma spark plugs to add credibility to them.

Whether you like it or not the truth sometimes hurts. Smokey was as much PT Barnum as any snake oil salesman around....in addition to his finer attributes. How this fact affects my own personal character is beyond me.

I don't expect nor need a "where's Waldo"....and it is not going to affect my ego one way or the other.

I realize from your comments and others that I have gotten that my longwinded comments and explainations make the wrong impression on people on the forum. I have gotten more than one "know-it-all" type of comment in a PM from people. Time to put it to bed.

Hold on there.

I think the fact that we discuss things here without ever actually meeting each other and having face-toface communications makes it far too easy to mis-interpret what someone means. Language is ambiguous. It happens all the time in situations where people have to work together from remote locations and it is happening here where we are all just sharing our knowledge, experiences, thoughts and, more importantly, having some fun.

Jestal, I, for one, find your posts very informative and will miss them if you stop sharing. I am probably an average person here with respect to knowledge and experience with motorcycles. I share what little I know whenever possible so that I can feel that I coontributed some little bit to compensate for all that I take away. I have changed my oil habits because of your postings and I thank you publicly for sharing that information.

Jestal, I, for one, find your posts very informative and will miss them if you stop sharing. I am probably an average person here with respect to knowledge and experience with motorcycles. I share what little I know whenever possible so that I can feel that I coontributed some little bit to compensate for all that I take away. I have changed my oil habits because of your postings and I thank you publicly for sharing that information.
+1

I couldn't agree more. Your comments and opinions have been educational and insightful. I personally would consider a non-participation by you in technical threads a loss to the entire community.

This ain't the "Off Topic" forum where opinions are like rectums, and most of them stink like 'em. Here, opinions, right or wrong, are useful in achieving some sort of educational purpose, unlike the incessant "Bush or Slick Willie" threads that can not serve any significant purpose.

You may be dead wrong with your assessments on the merits of plasma spark plugs, but I just might learn something about internal combustion engine ignition systems that I may not have already known through the discussion about their merits or lack of.

Jestal, I, for one, find your posts very informative and will miss them if you stop sharing.
+1
+1

And this is AFTER Jestal and I had a few words back when he first appeared on the boards. We cleared it up in short order and it was my mis-reading his initial posts and heading off in my own particular...

..er

...um

"Idiom, sir?"

IDIOM!

I realize from your comments and others that I have gotten that my longwinded comments and explainations make the wrong impression on people on the forum.  I have gotten more than one "know-it-all" type of comment in a PM from people.  Time to put it to bed.
Jestal, I am not sure what you mean by "put it to bed" but I hope you continue to make your "longwinded comments". They are usually very informative and if you are willing to take the time to write them then I am certainly willing to take the time to read them, and read them carefully. Being a "know-it-all" is a positive attribute if you are willing to share your knowledge in a positive manner. Doesn't mean that you don't get to tell someone they are wrong as long as you can support your conclusion -- which you do very well with convincing logic and/or personal experiences.

I imagine this will take its place in history along with the 100 mpg carburator. I believe the story is that the oil companies bought the patents and buried them.

I have rarely read a thread with such interest as the EZCRAP oil thread.

It was usually pretty easy to spot those folks with inherent self interest (purple oil), deficient logic (I've never changed the oil & my baby runs just fine), and advertising skewed logic (this STP is the greatest). Instead of BS & smoke, Jestal gave us the benefit of engine teardowns & actual wear measurements, explained the wear package in oil(ZDP) & how it degrades over time, & debunked the hokum of the goop sellers in an extremely polite manner. Many many thanks !

Suggestions for future threads:

Advice on use of magnets for gas treatment & mileage enhancement

Atomic powered sparkplugs, worth the cost ?

Helium filled tires run cooler & last longer

Polarised molecular bonding in plastic surface treatments increases laminar flow effect

Conductive large chain molecules turn FJR heat into refridgerator cooling

realize from your comments and others that I have gotten that my longwinded comments and explainations make the wrong impression on people on the forum. I have gotten more than one "know-it-all" type of comment in a PM from people. Time to put it to bed.
Dude, in all sincerity, don't let a few hecklers spoil the good work you do around here. Be as long winded as you like. No one is forced to read what you post, they can skip over if it's too technical for them. I've enjoyed some of the longer technical posts you've written, and I hope you continue. There will always be a few who can't dig it, but don't let that little detail hold ya back.

Okay, okay....

We all appreciate Jestal and his willingness to share his knowledge. Now, let's stopping kissing ass and get back to the plasma plug thread. :)