Here's my issue, (edit) difficult handling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draggon Rider

Reaction score
The FJR is a Sport Touring bike, Right?

Well shouldn't a sport touring bike cruise nicely on the Freeway?

At speeds above 55 my bike dances, the lack of a better term, or you could say it's light in the loafers. :D

I'm constantly fighting to keep it headed where I want it. It handles nicely in twisties, and around town, but get it on the freeway and it's an entirely different bike.

What Peed me off last night is I'm doing 65/70 on the 405 fighting to keep up with traffic and some guy on some type of scooter cruises right past me like it was nothing.

You guys do IBR on these things but I can't see doing a long ride on this one because it is just too much work.

So I would like to know your thoughts, do you think new rubber would help, or what?

Tire pressure is 32/35. The tires are Metzler Roadtech Z6.

I know not what the suspension settings are they were checked/set by my mechanic who does a lot of racing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the tires are probably toast by now. The pressure should be around 40 F/R ! 38 f to 40 & the rear 40 42 for starters. Only the BEST have done IBR ! Most others have done IBA rides . . .

I'm no expert but I do know I am not having the same problems you are having.....

The only thing that stands out to me is your tire pressure. I run 40/42 as do many on the board here. If I were you I would try that and see how it feels....

Sorry but that's all I got.... B)

+1 on the prx, but...

Your treads may have been underinflated long enough to wear in a way that promotes weaving. Basically, it's like water running downhill, carving low spots along the dirt. Depending on how the tread blocks cup, you can actually wear the tread in a way that moves from one side to the other, and then back. That's in general terms.

In personal terms, I had a tire like yours on a previous bike that developed a strange snaky wear pattern and sent a set of photos to a tire engineer I know. He said that while he hadn't seen the tire in person, couldn't be sure from photos, yada yada, it looked like possibly some cord material had shifted under the surface. He asked if I'd run low pressure or had something stuck in the tread for a while and he was right. On a longer trip not too long before this started, I'd found a nail in the tread and plugged it. No problem with the plugging, the problem was that I'd run the tire for many hours with the nail, meaning that I'd run it under-inflated for a long period. Heat created by flex (as opposed to heat from a sunny day) is the enemy of tires and his educated guess was that the rubber had started to revert near one of the belts.

I changed the tire and the problem was gone.

For more detailed info about how heat and underinflation affect at least airplane tires , see Page 41 of this link. The concepts are similar for m/c tires and I'd rather refer you to a similar article on motorcycle tires, but haven't found any references this good:

Goodyear aircraft tire reference

Bob

I have a hard time keeping mine below 80mph on the highway! It's smooth as glass and feels like I'm doing about 55. I have the air pressure set to what the sticker on the wing arm says 39/42. I have ridden with low tire pressure (around 30)inadvertently and it does make the bike feel squirrely.

The only other thing to mention is a trunk. If you have a trunk in place it can add to the squirmy feel. When a passenger is aboard the trunk induced squirrelly handling goes away.

Not only would low tire pressure let your bike wallow on the highway, it will make it corner like a truck.

Mine is smooth as glass. Hard to keep it below 80 on the freeway. You should already know that your tire pressure is way too low. Have you read the manual at all??? Have you been to the Metzler site to see the recommended pressure for your tires???? Why do you rely on a mechanic to set your suspension settings? if you will take a minute to do a search here, you will find a wealth of info on suspension setup. You've got some real issues that most of us don't have, but start with the tires, and get one thing fixed at a time. I've never heard of anyone "fighting" their FJR. The FJR is a phenomenal bike, and yours can be too once you figure out what you need to do to correct the mistakes of the previous owner. Go to google and utilize their search functions there for fjrforum.

... Have you been to the Metzler site to see the recommended pressure for your tires???? ....

I just did that (I have the same tires) and Metzler says 32/36. :dribble:

durrrr....

They got to be kidding. What makes them so special. 32 is a track tire pressure.

What other member with these tires are using is the question and are you having that same problem?

I run with side cases and a top case 99% of the time and the only time I get a clumsy feeling is when I get over 90 and that is rare no days.

Check your steering nut just in case.

You guys do IBR on these things but I can't see doing a long ride on this one because it is just too much work.
I haven't run that flavor of Metzlers since the original tire and was starting to show sidewall cracks. Since then I've had various flavors of Avon, Bridgestone, and Michelin....and all 42/42. Never has the FJR been a chore to ride.

05 FJR here in Colorado
Which came with the Metzler Z4, they dont even make anymore. Within the first month of ownership had it up to 115 mph and smooth as glass. I had to replace them also because I put on 7500 miles that first month.
Then went to the Z6 seemed a little squirrelly but still OK.
Next I went to Avons, loved them for a couple of go arounds, two fronts and four backs. Went down a road at 142 mph and it would start to shake because there was enough wear on the tires. Before replacing both front and back recently, if I let go of the handlebars it would shake.
Last time a dealership talked me into the Pirelli and so far so good, I like them also. No shake and ready to try 150 mph.

Full pressure recommended on the tires at all times. I usually get 6000 to 7500 miles on a rear tire

Wow it was Friday and I started a firestorm... Woops that's not funny, I live in Los Angels. :)

Thanks for the input I will try the PSI first.

I knew something wasn't right because too many of you guys ride long distances and this one would be just too much work.

Now to answer some of the question:

1. Manual? Oh Yeah that thing. and the Manual says... 36/36

2. Why did I let my machanic set the supension? Because I didn't know WTF I was doing. I read on here about changing settings and I went "HUH???" "Settings???".

3. I was concerned with the rear tire because the Z6 doesn't have tread in the center so you can't judge tire wear and it's wearing a flat spot down the center.

4. It seems more squirly with a passenger and I always have the trunk mounted.

5. When I asked my machanic about the handling he said the front tire was showing some cupping.

I'm sorry if I offended any Iron Butt Assocation member. I meant IBA Rides. Not what ever IBR means I thought I saw it here somewhere.

One other thing to consider: You say you have the problem on the 405 right? Are there rain grooves on the surface where you experiance the problem? If so, different tires will be affected by rain grooves much more than others. I have found any tire with a center groove will be less stable on rain grooves than a tire with a smooth center. Tires like Avons and Pilot Roads and Pilot Sports have almost no affect.

I would do the following, First Pump up the air. Remove the top box. If that doesn't cure the problem, put on a set of good tires. If you still have the problem, you may need to have some other thing checked like steering head bearings, wheel bearings etc.

One other thing to consider: You say you have the problem on the 405 right? Are there rain grooves on the surface where you experiance the problem? If so, different tires will be affected by rain grooves much more than others. I have found any tire with a center groove will be less stable on rain grooves than a tire with a smooth center. Tires like Avons and Pilot Roads and Pilot Sports have almost no affect.
I would do the following, First Pump up the air. Remove the top box. If that doesn't cure the problem, put on a set of good tires. If you still have the problem, you may need to have some other thing checked like steering head bearings, wheel bearings etc.
Steering Head Bearings were checked.

Problem on 405, 5, 101, 134, 210, and yes I could feel the rain groves, but that wasn't the problem.

I pumped up the tires to 40/42, some improvement but I'm still not satisfied.

I'm now looking into new tires, may not happen right away but at least now I know for sure something is not right.

Thanks everyone.

Randy