Hi Guys...newbie here...'07 FJR won't start after accident...HELP?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I've ordered a part. It is known as "#22) Relay Assembly" (part number: 5VK-81950-30). Here is a link to pictures: https://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/csb...lay%20Assembly/ . It is a large, 16-pin relay that controls...oh wait, no dealer could tell me what it controls (arrgghh!). It was physically damaged in the accident (the inner circuit board was cracked and 5 pathways were severed). Does anyone know what this relay controls? It is located in the front of the bike, near the battery and under the instrument cluster. We're thinking, based on its size and complexity, that it may control many functions. Nothing else seems damaged. One odd thing is that, when the bike is in neutral, the green "N" does NOT light up in the cluster (as though it always thinks it is in gear, even when it is not)...perhaps this is related to that relay as well???

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted...redundant.

Not sure what it is as It's never failed on my scoot but, I bet it's safe to say that's the root of your no start issues..

:jester:

It does things? I dunno bub, don't have access to a manual here.

Any of you ladies that are playin' wif yerselfs wanna drop the toys for a bit an help oot?

Well, I'm out. My '04 FSM isn't gonna help much on an '07 and the various parts fiches I've looked at are no help either. Someone with a Gen II and working knowledge of which relay in the nose does what is gonna have to take a look at a Gen II FSM to figure this one out.

Sorry...no helpee...

My guess is it's the starter cut-off relay. That part # comes up as used on about 30 different Yamahas.
Really? That surprises me based on the fact that it is, by far, the largest of its type and has 16 separate pins (all of which are used). I would have to guess it has/performs many functions...possibly that one and several more?

Well I'm gonna spit the hook here man (fish).... Rogue pretty much summed it up, an I'm gettin' that feelin'.. :rolleyes:

Well I'm gonna spit the hook here man (fish).... Rogue pretty much summed it up, an I'm gettin' that feelin'.. :rolleyes:

I just spent the last 20 mins perusing the internet. The only thing I found was "Relay Assembly". It boggles my mind that I cannot locate a description of its actual function(s)...only its name (which, admittedly, is a very vague one).

Well guys...based on the fact that no concrete answer has been provided, at least I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I posed a difficult question;). Funny that such an important/necessary component is merely named, but not described.

" It boggles my mind that I cannot locate a description of its actual function(s)"

and "Funny that such an important/necessary component is merely named, but not describe"

Your above 2 statements makes me think - The part # is missing a Ms. infront of it

Like: Ms.Relay Assembly" (part number: 5VK-81950-30)

I know this is no help but may give you some ease of mind

Later -

" It boggles my mind that I cannot locate a description of its actual function(s)"and "Funny that such an important/necessary component is merely named, but not describe"

Your above 2 statements makes me think - The part # is missing a Ms. infront of it

Like: Ms.Relay Assembly" (part number: 5VK-81950-30)

I know this is no help but may give you some ease of mind

Later -

Is that supposed to be a joke? If so, I see you were aiming low (LOL).

My guess is it's the starter cut-off relay. That part # comes up as used on about 30 different Yamahas.
Really? That surprises me based on the fact that it is, by far, the largest of its type and has 16 separate pins (all of which are used). I would have to guess it has/performs many functions...possibly that one and several more?
The Gen I schematic shows an 11 pin "Starter cut-off relay" with separate inputs for side stand switch, clutch, neutral etc......

The Gen I schematic shows an 11 pin "Starter cut-off relay" with separate inputs for side stand switch, clutch, neutral etc......
Really? Despite the "generation-gap", that is very helpful. It is relatively likely, then, that the broken relay does, in fact, control several functions (since mine has 16 pins vs. 11). Perhaps Yamaha incorporated additional functionality into that particular relay in the Gen II. Fingers crossed...

Really? Despite the "generation-gap", that is very helpful. It is relatively likely, then, that the broken relay does, in fact, control several functions (since mine has 16 pins vs. 11). Perhaps Yamaha incorporated additional functionality into that particular relay in the Gen II. Fingers crossed...
I can't read schematics worth crap, so pay attention to others that know more, but I'm looking at my 2006 service manual. The "starting Unit Cutoff Relay" is connected to several other relays (hazard, "relay unit", horn switch, etc.) that in turn are connected to more systems. Sounds like a vital piece.

I can't read schematics worth crap, so pay attention to others that know more, but I'm looking at my 2006 service manual. The "starting Unit Cutoff Relay" is connected to several other relays (hazard, "relay unit", horn switch, etc.) that in turn are connected to more systems. Sounds like a vital piece.

Yeah...neither can I. I just appreciate the fact that you chimed in despite your admitted unfamiliarity w/ reading them. I'm anxious to get that relay on Friday and plug it in! There is no other VISIBLE damage to any aspect of the wiring harness, and the lean angle sensor does trigger the CEL when it is tilted beyond 65 degrees (read: it appears to work just fine), so we'll see. In the meantime any other input, from anyone with $.02, will be welcomed;).

Just a thought, but while you have the tank and plastics and everything off, you may want to check the grounding points on the wiring harness for corrosion, if you haven't already. The most suspect reported is the one on the front left under the tank by the frame. There is a thread or two on here about GEN II grounding woes.

Just a thought, but while you have the tank and plastics and everything off, you may want to check the grounding points on the wiring harness for corrosion, if you haven't already. The most suspect reported is the one on the front left under the tank by the frame. There is a thread or two on here about GEN II grounding woes.
Will do...thank you.

Will do...thank you.
I found a link on that issue that has pictures and a good place to start:

ground corrosion thread with pics