Hi Guys...newbie here...'07 FJR won't start after accident...HELP?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You stated the mechanic thought the injectors were not working?

So I gather the fuel pump runs when the ignition was turned on and pressured up the fuel system then he tried to start the bike by jumpering the starter and the injectors were not operating

How could he tell they were not working - Kind of curious on this one?

Your picture of the relay showed some damage - in your opinion how badly damaged is it? Does it look NFG

Can your mechanic get you one to try?

Do you have output from your starter button?

One way to find out what the relay does is trace out what it is connected to on an electrical drawing for the bike

Do you have access to a drawing?

Best of Luck and glad I made you LOL

This may be just a far fetch thought

What caused the accident? The reason I ask it there is a problem with the 2nd gen bikes haveing the grounds burn up cauing bikes to just up and quit running

If the rider was going along and the bike quit and they had a moment of panic and made a wrong choise and crashed the result may be the ground block

I know this may be a stretch but take a look at the grounding block thread

If you have the fairing off and alot of the bike stripped down may be a good time to do something to the ground blocks anyway

later

I just spent the last 20 mins perusing the internet. The only thing I found was "Relay Assembly". It boggles my mind that I cannot locate a description of its actual function(s)...only its name (which, admittedly, is a very vague one).
"The Relay Assembly" and the "Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay" are two names for the same part. It is not uncommon for the parts fiche to call parts by a name that is different than the FSM. The Gen II relay does the same job of interlocking the side stand, neutral light and neutral switch. Plus, unlike the Gen I relay, it adds a voltage path to the RUN/STOP switch [SIZE=18pt]![/SIZE] and contains two relays as opposed to the Gen I with just one relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just spent the last 20 mins perusing the internet. The only thing I found was "Relay Assembly". It boggles my mind that I cannot locate a description of its actual function(s)...only its name (which, admittedly, is a very vague one).
"The Relay Assembly" and the "Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay" are two names for the same part. It is not uncommon for the parts fiche to call parts by a name that is different than the FSM. The Gen II relay does the same job of interlocking the side stand, neutral light and neutral switch. Plus, unlike the Gen I relay, it adds a voltage path to the RUN/STOP switch [SIZE=18pt]![/SIZE] and contains two relays as opposed to the Gen I with just one relay.
Based on what you've written, this relay assembly must be the problem. I say this because I am having problems with every system you mentioned. Thank you very much for your input.

This may be just a far fetch thought
What caused the accident? The reason I ask it there is a problem with the 2nd gen bikes haveing the grounds burn up cauing bikes to just up and quit running

If the rider was going along and the bike quit and they had a moment of panic and made a wrong choise and crashed the result may be the ground block

I know this may be a stretch but take a look at the grounding block thread

If you have the fairing off and alot of the bike stripped down may be a good time to do something to the ground blocks anyway

later

The previous owner navigated a corner poorly and went down. The bike was running perfectly and shut off as soon as it reached the ground (Hurray for the lean angle sensor!). I will check the grounding straps/blocks anyway. Thank you as well.

csb, that monster relay is in fact the starter circuit interrupt relay. If it's busted up, nothing works. The number of pins comes from the number of items it monitors. It interrupts ignition if the bike is in gear and the sidestand is down, so it sees the neutral switch and the sidestand switch. It interrupts the starter circuit if the bike is in gear and the clutch is not pulled, so it also looks at the clutch lever switch. The other pins would obviously feed those circuits it controls, and 3 of the 16 pins are no connection.

The fact that it "feeds" the kill switch also explains why the kill switch was ineffective at resetting codes in the ECU.

Well guys...based on the fact that no concrete answer has been provided, at least I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I posed a difficult question;). Funny that such an important/necessary component is merely named, but not described.
I have a wiring diagram for the '06 AE. I can't publish it here, I'm sure there would be copyright infringement issues (rule: "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you....including and especially service manuals. Go buy one! ").

The diagram is unhelpful in showing exactly what things do, it is drawn neither according to function nor position on the bike. It's a matter of following wires to connectors, finding the other half of the connector somewhere else on the drawing, and tracing it on.

If you want to PM me, I'll try to give you information that will sort out exactly what that relay does.

Well guys...based on the fact that no concrete answer has been provided, at least I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I posed a difficult question;). Funny that such an important/necessary component is merely named, but not described.
I have a wiring diagram for the '06 AE. I can't publish it here, I'm sure there would be copyright infringement issues (rule: "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you....including and especially service manuals. Go buy one! ").

The diagram is unhelpful in showing exactly what things do, it is drawn neither according to function nor position on the bike. It's a matter of following wires to connectors, finding the other half of the connector somewhere else on the drawing, and tracing it on.

If you want to PM me, I'll try to give you information that will sort out exactly what that relay does.
That's OK...based on the latest input I've received, I feel confident that my entire problem rests with that relay.

csb, that monster relay is in fact the starter circuit interrupt relay. If it's busted up, nothing works. The number of pins comes from the number of items it monitors. It interrupts ignition if the bike is in gear and the sidestand is down, so it sees the neutral switch and the sidestand switch. It interrupts the starter circuit if the bike is in gear and the clutch is not pulled, so it also looks at the clutch lever switch. The other pins would obviously feed those circuits it controls, and 3 of the 16 pins are no connection.

The fact that it "feeds" the kill switch also explains why the kill switch was ineffective at resetting codes in the ECU.
I thank you as well, sir! What a sense of relief to now know what that relay assembly does (and to know that what it controls is what I'm having difficulty with).

I thank you as well, sir! What a sense of relief to now know what that relay assembly does (and to know that what it controls is what I'm having difficulty with).
Not to be a smarty-pants (Well...okay...maybe just a little), evidently it controls EVERYTHING related to the starter. Every safety switch is shunted through that relay that disallows the starter from engaging. ;)

What a friggin' mess

1_DSCF5555_arJPG.jpg

I've never removed my cowel. Mine doesn't look like that, does it? :blink:

Sh-t, I'm buying a 1969 CB 350 as my next ride!

QUOTE (Khunajawdge @ Nov 20 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a friggin' mess

1_DSCF5555_arJPG.jpg

I've never removed my cowel. Mine doesn't look like that, does it?
blink.gif

Sh-t, I'm buying a 1969 CB 350 as my next ride!

Something about "Beauty being only skin deep"?

Oh, and I assure you, there's no need to copy my picture and put it somewhere else, it's not going away any time soon.

UPDATE!!! Installed the relay today and...nothing...crickets. Just kidding...started right up and sounded like the thing of beauty that it...once was (and will be again). After securing miscellaneous wires, I set out to drive it around a bit. It rides beautifully, as though no accident had ever occurred. I then set out to drive it back home, which was/is roughly 45 miles from the mechanic's home. I'd say I got roughly 15 miles away before exclaiming, "F$^k this!". It was wayyyy too cold, given what I was wearing. So...I loaded it into the pickup and drove back. Can't wait to begin putting it together. I've found many parts thus far, but still have several to go. Can anyone recommend a good source for new wholesale??? Thanks for all the great input/information, guys! Finally...a forum where 2 outta' 3 members aren't total dickheads...ACHOO...BMW!...excuse me ;) .

Glad you got her going!

On thing to beware of: I too had a little problem with that relay. Except mine turned out to be a fractured pin in the connector to the relay and not the relay itself. It happened in the homestretch of our week-long summer vacation ride this past July. The relay failure dealio starts here: clicky

You may want to do a careful "tug test" on each of the wires in that connector to be sure you don't have a similar thing waiting for you down the road.

Mine was intermittent for a while. I actually rode the bike for quite a while with a broken pin after having wiggled the wires "just right".

I eventually fixed it with a replacement pin in the connector. It is not a factory exact pin but established the connection for posterity.

Glad you got her going!
On thing to beware of: I too had a little problem with that relay. Except mine turned out to be a fractured pin in the connector to the relay and not the relay itself. It happened in the homestretch of our week-long summer vacation ride this past July. The relay failure dealio starts here: clicky

You may want to do a careful "tug test" on each of the wires in that connector to be sure you don't have a similar thing waiting for you down the road.

Mine was intermittent for a while. I actually rode the bike for quite a while with a broken pin after having wiggled the wires "just right".

I eventually fixed it with a replacement pin in the connector. It is not a factory exact pin but established the connection for posterity.
Yes, well, the relay on my bike had literally been punctured by the accident which, in turn, cracked the internal circuit board in half. I'm fairly certain the corresponding wires are OK, but I do thank you!

Well damn!! The relay was punctured?

Physical evidence is sure hard to beat. I do my best troubleshooting based on it.

So why didn't you just inform us all of this at the beginning?

We could have saved, what... about 55 posts!!

:lol: <<<--- Obligatory smilie thingee so you'll know that I'm just kidding. ;)

<major snippage/deletion> I've found many parts thus far, but still have several to go. Can anyone recommend a good source for new wholesale??? Thanks for all the great input/information, guys! Finally...a forum where 2 outta' 3 members aren't total dickheads...ACHOO...BMW!...excuse me ;) .
For various parts sources you might want to check the FAQ section, particularly this thread!

Unfortunately our best source has been released from his employment so your next best thing is to compare prices from the sites listed.

Update: I've ordered a part. It is known as "#22) Relay Assembly" (part number: 5VK-81950-30). Here is a link to pictures: https://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/csb...lay%20Assembly/ . It is a large, 16-pin relay that controls...oh wait, no dealer could tell me what it controls (arrgghh!). It was physically damaged in the accident (the inner circuit board was cracked and 5 pathways were severed). Does anyone know what this relay controls? It is located in the front of the bike, near the battery and under the instrument cluster. We're thinking, based on its size and complexity, that it may control many functions. Nothing else seems damaged. One odd thing is that, when the bike is in neutral, the green "N" does NOT light up in the cluster (as though it always thinks it is in gear, even when it is not)...perhaps this is related to that relay as well???
Attn Fred W! Notice the part above where I describe the relay as having physical damage. I didn't post it in the beginning because I didn't know it. As you are likely well-aware, bike repair is a process. Not all of the information is known in the beginning. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was? Perhaps you should have read through all that I'd written/added before giving me s&%t? Please don't get all BMW-forum member on my a$$ (and yes, I read the part where you say you were kidding).