Horn Install, Relay info. needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satori88

Reaction score
Hello,

On FJRtech.com, there is a great description on how to install the magnum Blaster Horns. However, I cannot source the 12V, 10amp relay without a part number or other tech. info. that my local auto parts dealer can cross reference. Any Suggestions?

Also, If any one has installed these horns, could you please let me know how they are working out?

Many Thanks, ~Chris

If you think you might be using a few relays with this project and future projects I'd suggest buying a few Bosch like this or this

Pretty reasonable price when you buy 5 or 10.

Any waterproof relay will do the job, and they are working great.

Big, BIG difference compare to OEM piezo :blink:

Use the appropriate wire size.

I used the Radio Shack relays. I could have gotten a five pack of the waterproof Bosch relays for the price of two Radio Shack relays and the Radio Shack ones are not waterproof. I sealed them around the seams with silicon to keep them dry.

I use a Bosch single pole, double throw 30 amp "Mini Giant" relay. Part number 0332209150. This was at Randy's suggestion.

Didn't use a relay-pluged them directly in the stock harness-no problems.
I wouldn't tempt the electrical gods like that. :blink:

No problems until the hundredth time you use the horn and the 10 amps of the Magnums instead of 6 amps of the stock horns weld your horn switch contacts together and the horns won't shut off.....until the battery goes dead or the wires melt. Assuming there isn't a fire, then you'll be asking the forum how to fix that and we'll all point you to your dealer and suggest you buy a whole new left hand switch housing assembly. No problems ;)

P.S. I may have done the same thing, but I won't dare recommend it to somebody else and won't tempt fate. It's a winter project to add the relay.

Last edited by a moderator:

No problems until the hundredth time you use the horn and the 10 amps of the Magnums instead of 6 amps of the stock horns weld your horn switch contacts together and the horns won't shut off.....until the battery goes dead or the wires melt. Assuming there isn't a fire, then you'll be asking the forum how to fix that and we'll all point you to your dealer and suggest you buy a whole new left hand switch housing assembly. No problems ;)

P.S. I may have done the same thing, but I won't dare recommend it to somebody else and won't tempt fate. It's a winter project to add the relay.
I'll add in. I suggested this a while ago and got blasted (pun intended) by the forum members. Since no one had any solid proof, I did a little testing. The horns actually draw 12 amps total. Long story short, the stock harness drops over 2.5 volts to the horns. That means the wires are sinking 30 watts. Just like little heating filaments. Plus, 100% overload is a not within anyone's design window. Go with the relay and 12 ga. wire, fused directly to the battery or main harness.

-BD

Since no one had any solid proof, I did a little testing. The horns actually draw 12 amps total. Long story short, the stock harness drops over 2.5 volts to the horns. That means the wires are sinking 30 watts. Just like little heating filaments. Plus, 100% overload is a not within anyone's design window. Go with the relay and 12 ga. wire, fused directly to the battery or main harness.
Wow! Your empirical observation compared to my anecdotal observation? You rock dude!

I'm not saying that my way is correct but...how often and for how long are you using your horns? I kept looking for reasons to use the horn when I first put them in and nobody seemed to want to hear them :p

On my '04 I bought the relay and wiring from FJRRandy-nice setup.

I'll add in. I suggested this a while ago and got blasted (pun intended) by the forum members. Since no one had any solid proof, I did a little testing. The horns actually draw 12 amps total. Long story short, the stock harness drops over 2.5 volts to the horns. That means the wires are sinking 30 watts. Just like little heating filaments. Plus, 100% overload is a not within anyone's design window. Go with the relay and 12 ga. wire, fused directly to the battery or main harness.

-BD
+1 on that. When I did the Magnum Blaster install I tested current draw for the Blasters and it was between 10 and 11 amps. The stock horns were 200 to 300 milliamps. (I don't recall the exact numbers for either). The results reinforced the fact that a good relay and 12g wire were the only way to do it properly.

And besides the fact that the Magnum pull out more current, if the wire could not take it, it will heat and the horns will not sound like they are suppose too.

Ti give you and idea, Magnum 12 volts X 12 amps = 144 watts compare to 12 volts X 300 mA = 3.6 watts :unsure:

Is there a difference, I think you should go with a relay ;)

... the Blasters and it was between 10 and 11 amps. The stock horns were 200 to 300 milliamps.
Something's whacky there. 200 to 300 milliamps?

As anemic as the stock horns are I have a hard time believing they only draw 1/33 to 1/50 of the amperage of the Magnums. The measurement should be something closer to 3 amps per stock horn I believe.

The stock horn is rated for 3A max; x 2 horns = 6 amps. 6A = roughly 72 watts. The 'signal fuse' is rated at 15 amps, you would really like the fuse to be rated at 2x the maximum circuit current. The Magnums at 12 amps should take either a 20 or 25 amp fuse, this allows for inrush current. There is only 20% 'head room' with the stock 15A fuse. Tappin' the Magnums big toot with the stock fuse could leave you listening to the sounds of silence.

The stock horn is rated for 3A max; x 2 horns = 6 amps. 6A = roughly 72 watts. The 'signal fuse' is rated at 15 amps, you would really like the fuse to be rated at 2x the maximum circuit current. The Magnums at 12 amps should take either a 20 or 25 amp fuse, this allows for inrush current. There is only 20% 'head room' with the stock 15A fuse. Tappin' the Magnums big toot with the stock fuse could leave you listening to the sounds of silence.
Thanks for the info Alan. I did not change the fuse. Guess I better look at this over the winter. Still doing any riding up there in NH?