Horn Install, Relay info. needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock horn is rated for 3A max; x 2 horns = 6 amps. 6A = roughly 72 watts. The 'signal fuse' is rated at 15 amps, you would really like the fuse to be rated at 2x the maximum circuit current. The Magnums at 12 amps should take either a 20 or 25 amp fuse, this allows for inrush current. There is only 20% 'head room' with the stock 15A fuse. Tappin' the Magnums big toot with the stock fuse could leave you listening to the sounds of silence.
Does this mean that I'm safe connecting 2 Freeway Blasters rated by Fiamm at 5 amps current draw each to the stock harness and fuse?

I bought the wire harness kit, also sold in here by a site vender.

Comes with Big wires and relay.

Plug -N-play! The hardest part of the install was getting the panels off!

Does this mean that I'm safe connecting 2 Freeway Blasters rated by Fiamm at 5 amps current draw each to the stock harness and fuse?
See post #8 and read this thread's overall discussion. You're going to have to decide if it's safe for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe? Probably, since the Freeway blasters don't draw as much current as the magnums. Using the factory (18 or 20 guage) wiring to operate hight current horns like the Magnum Blasters is only asking for trouble. It'll be that ONE time you "lean" on the horn to get someone's attention and the horn button will weld itself closed.

Worth the effort? I wouldn't waste my time unless I used heavier guage wiring and an outboard high current source. You're talking about 30% loss in output dB.

I guess not too many remember this is why I starting making the wiring harness for everyone to begin with. Once one or two horror stories surfaced about overloaded horn buttons, people started asking me if I'd make a harness for them too.

I peeked in on this thread the day it started. I left pretty much thinking everything, that needed explaining, had been. Saw it had some new posts, so peeked again. Seems that the 'splainin' needed some whompin' to get their attention first.

Seems that everything has been clearly explained, detailed reasons provided, and painfully explicit facts about current, load, and resistance have been slathered all over the top to finish off this education cake.

Y'all can ride off into the sunset, knowing you're job is done.

A tip of the helmet to The Magnificent 4, or 5, or 6!