Horns. Need a Better Horn!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an airhorn mounted somewhat more discretely than Patriot's. SacramentoMike, OldMichael and Borkerfork asked me to test it for them on the ride last weekend. They said they could hear it. :lol:

It is flush against the bike in front of the right saddlebag, and it doesn't interfere with the passenger peg I never use. Don't see it? Good!

ReturnTrip278.jpg
I don't remember that mountain. We must a' passed it while I was napping. :unsure:

...The stock horns are wimpy. The popular farkle is to upgrade to Magnum Blasters....
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the Bin-o-Facts...given its age (~4 years?) since last update, and not seeing much else different, is why I elected to, "see what's new."

Alas, for the most part, the status quo seems to have been largely maintained with regard to this topic.

:)

I prefer to stay out of situations in which a horn might be needed.
Whole-heartedly agree Mark. In true crisis situations, I have generally found using the horn is all-too-often an afterthought.

That said, there remain opportunities, such as simply waking up the inattentive lane drifter, where having an effective horn is desired. Even if I rarely use it, it -is- one of our defensive tools, and if it's worth having at all, it's worth having and being USEFUL :) .

Cheers!

Everyone,

Thank you for your contributions. I find them interesting and useful. Feel free to keep contributing. I'm sure we've not exhausted the knowledge that's out there.

Patriot: Does your application require counter-steering to account for the drag pulling you to one side? (couldn't resist<g>)

Cheers!

Everytime I look at that picture, I realize I need to photoshop out the butts on those tourists behind the bike, and remember to pick up my Autocom cable by the kickstand. :lol: This was near the end of a 7500 mile tour last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIAA sports horns. 500/600 combo. Direct wired and direct bolt-on replacement to the stock horns. Sounds like a European car. Pretty damn loud.

Regarding the PIAA's: Are you guys using the Slimline or the regular sportshorn? I was thinking only the slimlines would install w/no issues.

I prefer to stay out of situations in which a horn might be needed.

I have found that on the rare occasions when something louder than OEM would have been nice, I was very busy

braking/steering/accelerating and/or all of the above.

If you have time to honk, you have time to get out of harms way.

But, to each their own. My two cents worth.

Mark
+1, Gunny; I am with you Mark, pay attention to your FJR riding and you don't need any fucking horns!

Replaced the right side stocker with a PIAA Slimline --- works for me :) .. Easy install + no relay to wire in cct.
+1 - I did the same thing. Made a big and measurable difference.

I still don't use it much, but if I do you'll actually be able to hear the darned thing!

If you don't mind a little fabrication work, then I highly recommend the Stebel Nautilus airhorn. It requires a relay and custom bracket to install, but is worth it for the incredibly loud noise. :evil: Check with Patriot if you want a quicker install. ;)

I posted my install back in THIS THREAD.

There are those times when there's no time for honking while avoiding collision, but there's also plenty of times I want to wake up the idiot that's drifting into my lane or express my displeasure with the jerk that just ran the red light as I'm heading into the intersection (yes, I always look before launching but still want them to think that they almost killed someone).

There are those times when there's no time for honking while avoiding collision, but there's also plenty of times I want to wake up the idiot that's drifting into my lane or express my displeasure with the jerk that just ran the red light as I'm heading into the intersection (yes, I always look before launching but still want them to think that they almost killed someone).
Hi Harald,

We are both of same mind. For those that 'never use it.' Never. Really? As in, why haven't you removed it to save weight and gas already then? I've beeped at the person in front of me, not paying attention to the light's changing, and they still didn't move. Not because I annoyed them, I don't think they even ever heard me.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: