Horns. Need a Better Horn!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock. Never use the horn.
or the turn-signal cancelling button . . .
True, but he does adjust the valves and maintains the clutch on his FJR!
POW!

And DOWN goes SacMike!

"Beemerdons is directed to a neutral corner, and the referee begins his count...."

Knockoutcopy.jpg
A Great Photo of my two favorite fighters, I still love boxing so much! You just can't beat we Irish Pugilists! I believe that Muhammad Ali was from County Meath and Sonny Liston was from County Cork!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn this forum is funnier than most of the sitcoms on TV! Anyway now that I've managed to catch my breath let me add some food for thought on the topic of horns.

In the past month I've had to use my horn on 3 separate occasions. That's what the daily commute in the Big Smoke is like, too many 'tards and too much congestion... In every instance the offending driver heard the stock horns and corrected their respective behaviours.

So the question I would pose then is; Do you need louder horns when the wimpy stocks are still loud enough?

Damn this forum is funnier than most of the sitcoms on TV! Anyway now that I've managed to catch my breath let me add some food for thought on the topic of horns.

In the past month I've had to use my horn on 3 separate occasions. That's what the daily commute in the Big Smoke is like, too many 'tards and too much congestion... In every instance the offending driver heard the stock horns and corrected their respective behaviours.

So the question I would pose then is; Do you need louder horns when the wimpy stocks are still loud enough?
I would say most of the stuff we add to these bikes we don't "need." We add stuff we want. Stuff that makes the bike more comfortable for us, or more safe in our opinion. The stuff we add makes the bike more ours. As far as the horns go though, I think you have been lucky that the people you honked at heard them. The are loud enough to be considered horns, and can do the job, but when that person with their head really far up their Howie doesn't hear them, then what?

Might as well be as loud as possible, to take away any doubt.

I would say most of the stuff we add to these bikes we don't "need." We add stuff we want. Stuff that makes the bike more comfortable for us, or more safe in our opinion. The stuff we add makes the bike more ours. As far as the horns go though, I think you have been lucky that the people you honked at heard them. The are loud enough to be considered horns, and can do the job, but when that person with their head really far up their Howie doesn't hear them, then what?

Might as well be as loud as possible, to take away any doubt.
Well since it is indeed Dog Pile Friday here on our Fine FJR Forum: "Here you go 'Zilla, BLOW THIS HORN!"

Knockoutcopy.jpg

Well there ya go. Three times out of three the other driver heard your stock horns. Well that sure sounds conclusive doesn't it?

Those horns are 100% effective!

So you think there's absolutely no chance that conditions might ever be different (like driving on the freeway surrounded by semi-tractor trailers or when the other driver is listening to their jams a bit too loud?) and they wouldn't be able to hear those weak-ass stock horns? :rolleyes: Horns are a "just in case" thing. Them not being effective just once in a hundred uses makes them not loud enough, IMO.

My experience is that the stock horns' effectiveness is directly related to wind speed. Going slow in stop-n-go traffic, they're more effective. Go more than about 35 mph and their ability to overcome windspeed and ambient (incl. traffic) noise is diminished quickly. Yes, I've used them and seen them get a response; typically to goad someone into moving when not seeing a light turned green. In most cases, no one even seems to acknowledge them. Heck, albeit with earplugs in, if I'm unimpressed with them 3' away, darned sure no one else is going to be!

:)

Well there ya go. Three times out of three the other driver heard your stock horns. Well that sure sounds conclusive doesn't it?

Those horns are 100% effective!

So you think there's absolutely no chance that conditions might ever be different (like driving on the freeway surrounded by semi-tractor trailers or when the other driver is listening to their jams a bit too loud?) and they wouldn't be able to hear those weak-ass stock horns? Horns are a "just in case" thing. Them not being effective just once in a hundred uses makes them not loud enough, IMO.
No not a 100% effective as I've not been in every concievable situation and even so NOTHING is 100%. Are you 100% sure that the guy in the car next to you gives a damn about you? So I'd say 100% THUS FAR....

And to be clear all of them were in moving traffic and one was on the freeway at speed and it worked. Do I think they'll work in the situation you pose above... No; but I don't believe any of the alternatives mentioned would either IMO. And I think we've all seen accidents where cars and trucks used their horns to no avail... a determined idiot behind the wheel is an unstoppable force where avoidance and not horns are your only alternative.

HotRodZilla makes a good point about louder can't hurt and I'm in agreement unless I consider the cost and effort especially if I don't need change them. Then I'm on the fence. As for doing it to personalize our rides no disagreement but JT's first consideration in the intial post was effectiveness (which implies a comparison to the stock horns). I think the best anyone can do here is provide an opinion.

Again - this is food for thought and not in any way an argument to sway people in any direction. It's a subjective issue.

JT since you already have to change them I'd say that HotRodZilla's answer says it all find the loudest set of f**kers you can. It can't hurt.

Are you 100% sure that the guy in the car next to you gives a damn about you?
I've seen this mysterious "car next to you" example given several times in this thread.Now I understand why so many people think they need a louder horn.

Why oh why would anyone on a motorcycle allow a car/truck/zeppelin/or anything else for that matter to sit next to them?

The best rule of thumb is to always be coming up on and passing new traffic. You don't need to be doing 90 in a 35 to accomplish this and by doing so you have...

1. Less chance of someone surprising you from the rear. (therefore less need for FZ1 mirrors.)

2. No chance at all of someone sitting next to you and then coming into your lane.

When the occasional ooops happens and someone changes lanes as you are overtaking them, that is what Yamaha gave you a throttle and or brake for.

I'm sorry folks but the horn is only there to get the attention of pretty girls.

As for beeping at someone not paying attention at a green light, sorry I live in Kali. We don't sit behind people at intersections. Could get rear ended doing that. No horn, no matter the db's is going to save you from that.

Mark

So good horns are a 49 state solution.

Excuse me.

Common causes of death or injury to mcy riders is the oncoming car turning in front of or the side drive turner in front of the mcy rider.

Both of these cases could be an instance where the only escape is a loud horn to prevent incursion into you and your bike from the offending car. This would be the case if they are close to you when they stray into your space.

We put big lights on our bikes to be seen and big horns on our bikes to be heard.

I've seen this mysterious "car next to you" example given several times in this thread.Now I understand why so many people think they need a louder horn.

Why oh why would anyone on a motorcycle allow a car/truck/zeppelin/or anything else for that matter to sit next to them?

The best rule of thumb is to always be coming up on and passing new traffic. You don't need to be doing 90 in a 35 to accomplish this and by doing so you have...

1. Less chance of someone surprising you from the rear. (therefore less need for FZ1 mirrors.)

2. No chance at all of someone sitting next to you and then coming into your lane.

When the occasional ooops happens and someone changes lanes as you are overtaking them, that is what Yamaha gave you a throttle and or brake for.

I'm sorry folks but the horn is only there to get the attention of pretty girls.

As for beeping at someone not paying attention at a green light, sorry I live in Kali. We don't sit behind people at intersections. Could get rear ended doing that. No horn, no matter the db's is going to save you from that.

Mark
Mark… There are many things you and I agree on such as Old Michaels lack of bladder control, his fatally flawed Irish humor and his need for a haircut, but horns are something that we will have to just disagree on.

Here in the Pacific Northwest a horn is an absolute necessity. Many times I have had to use mine to signal a snow plow to move over during a storm so I could get past. There have been several times on the ferry when I have used it to assist the captain who is navigating in the fog. I shudder to think of the moose that I would have hit were it not for the courtesy tap on the horn to get them to move. As you can imagine logging trucks duck to the shoulder when I turn on my headlight modulator and hit the horn! There have even been times when I used the horn to call in a flight of geese when hunting from the bike.

While you Californian’s sit in traffic contemplating your fiscal woes, we in the “Great North” shoulder on and please know that a horn is a significant part of our survival!

Mark
Mark… There are many things you and I agree on such as Old Michaels lack of bladder control, his fatally flawed Irish humor and his need for a haircut, but horns are something that we will have to just disagree on.

Here in the Pacific Northwest a horn is an absolute necessity. Many times I have had to use mine to signal a snow plow to move over during a storm so I could get past. There have been several times on the ferry when I have used it to assist the captain who is navigating in the fog. I shudder to think of the moose that I would have hit were it not for the courtesy tap on the horn to get them to move. As you can imagine logging trucks duck to the shoulder when I turn on my headlight modulator and hit the horn! There have even been times when I used the horn to call in a flight of geese when hunting from the bike.

While you Californian's sit in traffic contemplating your fiscal woes, we in the "Great North" shoulder on and please know that a horn is a significant part of our survival!

:lol: Oh jeeze. I love good satire.

I nominate this for post of the week.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmm. Rush hour traffic?

Regarding horn loudness, I do think it is possible to have a horn that is too loud. I have heard a number of stories over the years suggesting this can also cause problems. One gent related to me he scared a driver so bad, he swerved away...and off the road. He commented how he felt bad about that for some years to come.

This is a personal preference item and my goal is simply to be able to differentiate myself sufficiently that surrounding traffic is made aware of my presence.

Discussing horns, or similar items, is often egotistically driven. The basis for the discussion is, all too often, about me, my concerns, and that I be heard/seen/whatever.

Yes, there are certainly inattentive drivers out there. To be honest, there are too many times when I catch myself being one of them. That is perhaps one of the biggest reasons I am a zealous turn signal user. More than once my keyster's been saved because I turned the signal on and was rewarded with a horn toot myself by a vehicle that 'somehow' got into my blind spot.

From a driver's perspective, I would appreciate a motorcyclist that had a sufficiently loud horn. While I'm not 17 with radio blaring, I do drive with windows up, someone talking, and the radio on from time to time<g>. Go figure. If I'm about to intrude on the rider's space, I'd darned sure want to hear their horn rather than feel a bike brushing the side of my car--or worse.

Taking the 'I' out of the scenario, it becomes a function of how can 'we' all coexist together, better. In some cases, being able to use a horn is part of that function.

:)

... There have even been times when I used the horn to call in a flight of geese when hunting from the bike....
blink.gif

Hey.

He's not kidding, Mark.

He really does that shit.

So, y'all agree with the HD crowd?
huh.gif
...Loud pipes/horns save lives?

Just think what .....oh, never mind.

Honk away, then.

As an anti-horner, I'm going to remove even the stock horn to save weight so I can go faster.
biggrin.gif

Even though I have a loud horn, I usually resort to hitting the push-to-talk or turn signals when in a pinch. :huh:

... There have even been times when I used the horn to call in a flight of geese when hunting from the bike....
blink.gif

Hey.

He's not kidding, Mark.

He really does that shit.

So, y'all agree with the HD crowd?
huh.gif
...Loud pipes/horns save lives?

Just think what .....oh, never mind.

Honk away, then.

As an anti-horner, I'm going to remove even the stock horn to save weight so I can go faster.
biggrin.gif
To my Fellow Members of the Mature Intelligent Riders and High Mileage Geezers Club: I passed the 900K mark on two wheels when I rode to Big Sur, California for puppychow - Sam's luncheon at the River Inn. 500K+ on Beemers, 250K+ on Harley-Davidson and another 150K+ on Yamaha-Honda-British Bikes. Words of Wisdom:

I swear to God over those 48 years I really could have removed my horn from my bike and I would never have known the damn difference. Like Dr. Rich, Bokerfork Mark and Old Michael have repeatedly stated: The fecking cage owners are not listening to you and they don't give a shit what happens to you. That's Absolutely God's Truth!

As Marky-Mark Bokerfork so clearly stated, in the time that you are dicking around (really just mentally jacking yourself off!) you could have used the bike to get far away!

And don't give me this crap about traffic, I live in Phoenix the sixth largest city in the United States and worked for years in San Diego, Bay Area and Los Angeles-SoCal.

CONFESSION: I did use my horn twice last year, at FODS in Death Valley I pulled up to the Longstreet Inn and Barb was wearing a low cut blouse - Barb got a honking!

CFR last year in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada Mary Ellen was wearing tight jeans and she bent over to pick up her gloves. I honked at MEM until the horn broke!

Mark

While you Californian's sit in traffic contemplating your fiscal woes, we in the "Great North" shoulder on and please know that a horn is a significant part of our survival!
:lol: Oh jeeze. I love good satire.

I nominate this for post of the week.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:
+1, Gunny; definitely Post of the Week in all categories including Best Satire, and here Old Michael is always saying that the Fecking Danes don't have a sense of humor!