Hot start problems, anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as you said "works to prevent corrosion"

I didn't know it was conductive. must check that with the multi meter.

But yes as the expression goes "prevention is always better than ......."

as you said "works to prevent corrosion"
I didn't know it was conductive. must check that with the multi meter.

But yes as the expression goes "prevention is always better than ......."
I could have worded that better. What I should have said is that it doesn't interfere with conduction. It's not like silver grease where you can stab multimeter probes in a tub of grease and see zero resistance. Oops.

I could have worded that better. What I should have said is that it doesn't interfere with conduction. It's not like silver grease where you can stab multimeter probes in a tub of grease and see zero resistance. Oops.

I've had similar electrical issues with my old XT 600 E (it's had a hard life). Hot starting was an issue, at times I would just loose all power when starting. Wriggling the terminals and retightening would solve it for a while.

No matter how much I cleaned terminals etc, it was unreliable. I eventually folded and took my old dads advice and installed some small star type locking washers under the terminals. These bite into the underside of the terminal and therefore the battery terminal. It does give a very clean circuit when everything is corroded.

It definitly solved the issue.

Well since everyone seems to think it is a battery, the most obvious would be to have it checked out. If ti proves that the battery is not th problem and all the connections are good than what?

If all the electrical checks out, connections ok, swithchs ok wiring ok electronics ok and your engine turns over slowly ar not at all. Here is your problem one of two things bad solenoid or the starter is bad, defective widings they expand when hot contract when cool and motor will not start or lead you to believe it is something else.

weekend rider :) :D

I would check the ground wire where it attaches to the frame. Remove the bolt and check for corrsion on the frame and on the lug. I would also check the charging output as well with a separate hand held meter across the battery. Good luck and keep us informed of the fix.

My 06 just left me stranded after filling up today. Hot day, started perfect this morning. Classic dead battery symptoms in that you could hear the solenoid kick in and then the voltage would crash resetting the display and dropping the solenoid back out. Rolled it in 5th and started right up at clutch engagement.

When I got home, about 25miles later, same issue. Battery at ~11.5v, dropping rapidly with the starter. I am measuring at the battery positive and negative lead lugs, so I think that eliminates high resistance wiring, connections, etc. After a sub 1 second jump start (implying the bike ignition system, TPS, etc. are all OK), I measured about 13.5v, again on the lead lugs of the battery. This seems to exonerate the charging system and again any high resistance wiring and connections.

Must be the battery. Only thing that causes a pause is that it required a jump when I picked the bike up in May, but I believed it had been running earlier that day. Not a problem until today.

Battery is an easy first try, so will try that. I too worry about getting left somewhere, although take heart in the relatively easy warm rolling start.

What I would recommend is to go for the battery lugs and measure there, I believe you can quickly eliminate many possibilities.

I have ordered a WestCo through SportBikeEffects, but expect it will be a few days for delivery. The local Yamaha dealer said the Yuasa YT14B-4 retail is now listed at $220 and he is discounting to $180....although none are in stock. Noticed their bad battery pile had what I thought was an inordinate number of the GT14B-4s. Maybe they are used in many applications, or as some have thought, a process change of late that is causing infant mortality. Hope the Westco is robust.

What I wanted to mention (recommend?) is what has appeared, at least for a couple of days, to have made the old battery come alive. I banged it on the cement 1/2 a dozen times, hard enough to worry about the case (which did survive). Charges up and starts the bike when hot! Obviously, I have a ticking bomb, but if you are in a bind and desperate. A bit ironic since all the banging around is one of the reasons motorcycle batteries are short lived.

When I was a kid, my grandmother asked me if I could fix her wind-up alarm clock. I ran up the stairs to her room and grabbed it, but on the way back down lost it. It banged it's way to the bottom, and started ringing. All was well with the clock, and Grandma was impressed by my mechanical abilities.

If your battery took a dump to 11.5 volts, it sounds as you have droppped a cell. By you jiggling it (in your case banging it against the ground), you've probably dislodged the floating culprit that was shorting out that particular cell.

I've had two Westco batteries (two different bikes) and have had no problems (as others have mentioned as well). The Yamaha battery is good but obviously over inflated in price. Trust that the Westco battery will live long, and in all likelihood, outperform the stock battery.

Interesting to find this thread. Searched for hot start, this describes my '03 to a tee. Never a problem cranking cold, but hot crank depends on how long it's been sitting after shutdown. I stalled it once in a u-turn and had to bump-start it, would not crank at all, and reset the clock. Volts went to 10.5! (Thanks, original owner, for the on-dash voltmeter!)

Just got the bike last week, so when I do the initial change-everything-there-is-just-to-be-sure, I'll be sure and check and clean the battery terminals and cables. If it continues after that, I'll throw a battery at it. It's only money, right?

This maybe somewhat of a hijack sorry but on the subject of batteries has anyone used Inox Battery Conditioner.?

I have and believe it really works.

https://www.ppc.au.com/access_lanox3a.htm

I think it's made in the US.

As an example of how it can extend battery life.

When my Toyota had it's battery replaced I treated it with Inox, Since the battery has ben run flat 4 or 5 times (on one occasion it was unfortunatly left flat for about 4 weeks) this battery is now 8 years old and is fine.

Sorry for the interuption guys, just wanted to share..

Follow-up on my previous post. I've been through the bike, terminals are clean at both ends of the cables, will not crank hot without throttle. Give it throttle, cranks fine and starts right up, but you gotta be quick on closing the throttle when it fires. It's like the hot starter won't pull any vacuum.

Giving throttle to start an FI engine goes against everything I've ever been told, too. It "feels" wrong. :eek:

Hey just do like I did. Check all connections, then get ahold of sportbike effects.... Problem solved :)

:jester:

Note; I didn't have a problem till this post appeared :huh:

Yep, this has happened to me numerous times, electrics reset, hard to start, quarter turn of the motor, finally starts after short bursts of button and pausing in between.

Its like an early warning signal.

Been 3 years since the last battery and I noticed in the last 5 months it was getting harder to start after the bike is warm and after short stop. Happened again today. No start after quick stop, repeat, no start. 2 guys gave me a push, vrooommmm.

Not fun being stranded all of a sudden. New battery fixed the issue last time. Bike Effects maybe in the near future, again.

I have seen this posted numerous times but my going through 2 batteries in 7 to 8 years, 70k miles = okay - sounds average. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, this has happened to me numerous times, electrics reset, hard to start, quarter turn of the motor, finally starts after short bursts of button and pausing in between.

Its like an early warning signal.

Been 3 years since the last battery and I noticed in the last 5 months it was getting harder to start after the bike is warm and after short stop. Happened again today. No start after quick stop, repeat, no start. 2 guys gave me a push, vrooommmm.

Not fun being stranded all of a sudden. New battery fixed the issue last time. Bike Effects maybe in the near future, again.

I have seen this posted numerous times but my going through 2 batteries in 7 to 8 years, 70k miles = okay - sounds average. Correct?

Maybe not too bad but my '07 still has the OEM battery after 60,000 miles. Never use a tender but do a slow charge every couple of months in the off season.

BATTERY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: