How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A. Ride by the four S's, in order of importance

1. Sight: Position yourself to maximise lines of sight to and from other road users

2. Space: Get as much of it as possible around you

3. Surface: Just be aware of variations in road surface - on road and off to the side

4. Speed: Whatever's appropriate given the first three points...

B. Always know where your "exit" is

Sometimes you going to need to change line in a hurry. Best to come to terms with your options before the need arises: it could be the shoulder of a road, the other side of the road - whatever it takes not to hit something...

Now think of "A" in relation to "B". Maybe one of the point in A is precluding B. Adjust and ride on...

The RD400 was one of the funnest bikes I ever owner. I had already been riding for over a decade before owning one. I would not go so far as to call it a death trap for a beginner rider. But I would not recommend it for a beginner. I am looking for one! so I can ride it to my 30th year High School Reunion in a couple of years.

My first bike was a used RD350....

Safety tip...Turn on the gas before you start out.... otherwise it stalls out at the first traffic light....<G>

Way fun bike, tho....

Mary

GRAVEL!!!!!!!!WATCH OUT FOR GRAVEL! GRAVEL on top of asphalt is like riding on ice. Even stepping on gravel while getting on or off your bike can end in a SLIP OVER. CATTLE GUARDS, wet ones are the worst. I well never forget when I was 19 a long long time ago I was playing Kenny Roberts on a long sweaping turn on my Yamy RD400 going about 80 in the rain. Hit a wet cattle guard half way around the turn. My bike and I slid not together for a long way. I was dressed for the ride so ownly a few scatches, I was lucky as shit. Oh and one more safety recommendation. No wheelies past good looking women. That always ends in disaster!!

Agreed.... but my driveway is about 150 feet of uphill gravel... :(

You are invisible to motorists... the weaving thing works a bit...

My buddy drives semi's for a living...

His suggestions...

Pass quickly, even if you have to wait a few seconds till the side of the truck is clear... things do blow off and up... like tires....

Dont' pull into too close in front... the driver may not be able to see you... that's his major bitch about cagers...

My suggestion... which I do a lot on the superslabs...

Two semi's signaling to pass a third one, especially uphill ..... back off, flash your headlight 2-3 times (high beam on the bike) to let them know that you see them, and let both trucks pass...

You're on a bike, one little flick of the wrist and you're past all three of them anyway... and the drivers appreciate not having to slow way down and gear up again....

I've actually had semi's pull right in front of me for no reason that I could see while I was crusing in the left lane passing stuff.......had to slow down... and there was radar sitting there.... The truckers saved me from at least four tickets this year.... :yahoo:

mary

The RD400 was one of the funnest bikes I ever owner. I had already been riding for over a decade before owning one. I would not go so far as to call it a death trap for a beginner rider. But I would not recommend it for a beginner. I am looking for one! so I can ride it to my 30th year High School Reunion in a couple of years.

My first bike was a used RD350....

Safety tip...Turn on the gas before you start out.... otherwise it stalls out at the first traffic light....<G>

Way fun bike, tho....

Mary
Not a death trap? I beg to differ...It was 1979 in an ally in Oceanside California when I put my buddy's RD400 through a wooden fence and smack dab into a homeboy's barrio bbq. If it wasn't for the truckload of fellow jarheads who managed to stop laughing long enough to get me and the bike out of there I could have been killed. The bikes owner added a few lumps later. That damn bike went right out from under me just like he said it would. :lol:

After reading all the 10 pages so far I can only offer this. I try and always remember to leave enough room between my front tire and any object I may encounter at any speed to still be able to stop. A good friend a few years back took a very nasty slide on the interstate after getting to close to a semi ahead and using him as a Wyoming high wing cushion. Sure as bat guano the semi straddled a 3 foot long piece of 4x4 that was lying at an angle to the lane he was in. This might have been ok except they were fixin' up the highway and it was down to 2 lanes of travel. The other lane was just chock full a south bound semi trucks and such. He hit it and in trying to retain control of the bike he sideswiped one a those lovely orange barrels that was the lane divider and down he went. He was lucky he stayed in the same lane and the process of falling down after hitting the barrel gave the vehicle behind him time to get stopped.

I also like to run the right lane in traffic to leave myself an out. The old ladies petunia patch is probably softer than that oncoming anything?

I pinned up pictures on the garage wall in the area where the bikes are parked. They are the photos of my last go down body damage. Summer of 78' with scabs all over every where. Good little reminder before I ever take it out of the garage.

Ride safe,

Flint

Conspicuity. Reflective areas on jacket, bike or safety reflective vest. I got a Vanson jacket with canary yellow on shoulders and arms. At first it seemed a little dorky and way too bright. The wife says she always sees motorcyclists more easily with some yellow on jacket , helmet or bike. I won't complain, she bought the Vanson for me.

I figured out something on my own :graduated: --that is to say, I didn't read it in a book or learn it in a class. The incidents that lead to my discovery and changed my behavior are two:

1. I saw a motorcyclist pulling out of a bank parking lot. He was looking left. I looked away. When I looked back he was on the ground. My conclusion: He started his turn, saw a car late, hit that front brake, and down he went.

2. I was pulling away from a stop sign, turning left. I had done a foot-down stop. When traffic was clear I leaned the bike left as I rolled on the accelerator. The bike started to fall over to the left, and I had to jam a foot down to keep it from falling over. I was in neutral! I had mis-shifted (very rare on the FJR) and not put it in first.

So to avoid braking in the middle of a slow-speed turn and dropping the bike (1), or dropping the bike 'cause I have no power while leaning (2), I now handle all stop-look-turns in this way:

While approaching the stopping point (stop sign, parking lot exit, parking lot intersection, etc.), I keep the front wheel pointed dead ahead. Whether I fully stop or roll through (NEVER through a stop sign :no: ), I continue to keep the front wheel straight as I look left and right for traffic. If I need to grab the brake, the wheels are straight.

When I decide to go, I accelerate straight (vs. lean and accelerate at the same time, or lean first). That may be only for a couple of feet or even inches, but the point is I get the bike powered up in a forward direction. I then turn my head and eyes in the direction I want to go, while then leaning the bike.

So in summary, approaching a stop: with wheels continuing straight, slow or stop. With wheels straight, while slowing or stopped, look for traffic. With wheels straight, begin acceleration. Look in direction of travel with full head pivot, and lean bike.

Jb

Take a motorcycle safety course no matter how many years of experince is under your belt.

Dress for the fall, not the ride.

Always leave yourself an "out." Constantly scan for open areas for an escape route in case some cage does something stupid.

Check mirrors before applying brakes. Had a friend run over and killed as he slowed to pull into his own drivreay.

Be paronoid; assume everybody and everything is out to get you.

In tight situations, keep left hand open and over the clutch lever.

Look where you want to go, NOT where you don't want to go (don't ask how I know that one.)

Practice the above until it becomes second nature.

And, huh, yea--- I agree with that wizzing on an electric fence wire thing.

RIDE SAFE!

Bob from SW Ohio.

I will say it even though it should be too obvious: know how to counter-steer (turn your bike properly).