How do you “Long Distance” guys concentrate???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SebringSilver

Reaction score
I took my first 200 plus mile trip today on my three-week-old AE. The first 50 miles were interstate getting to the North Georgia Mountains. The next 70 miles were picturesque twisties, switchbacks and smooth, meandering mountain roads. You boys from GA know what I’m talking about. Think Suches and Neels Gap. Loved It and Love this machine!!!

However, my last 90 miles were boring four lanes getting back to Atlanta and I found my mind drifting and wandering and then I snapped back and realized I was doing 80 MPH on two wheels with Semi’s and soccer-mom SUV’s all around me. I even stopped at least four times during the day to stretch and hydrate and clear my head. It got me to thinking that this is not the same complacent sensation as in my cage where everyone around me is also hurrying to get somewhere not that important and the attentiveness level does not have to be that extreme.

How do you guys keep the concentration level high on long trips?

Do you listen to music? Talk to yourselves? Text at high speeds?

What are the keys to attentiveness on long, seemingly monotonous roads? The twisties and Atlanta traffic certainly hold my attention, but what about that 200-mile stretch of interstate looming in front of you?

I know 200 miles is not that long by some of your standards, but I intend to take a few two or three week trips on my bike and today had me wondering if I will be too bored.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Number one, I use a throttle lock (before all I had) and now a Audiovox Cruise Control.

Keeps those speeds from creeping up that is a known disease of the Feejer world

Also throttle rockers on both grips to rest my wrists on. I program my Zumo GPS to keep me abreast on my progress on the trip and let me know when and where my next "waypoint" is.

Also grip puppies, highway pegs, risers, and comfortable seat to be relaxed in the saddle for long distances

I move my feet to keep my knees and legs comfortable from the highway pegs to the stock pegs to the passenger pegs periodically. I stand on the stock pegs and either just life my arsh off the seat and stretch or might stand up straight for a bit to really stretch out.

Yes, I listen to my fav tunes from my mp3 to my helmet head set. I have a CB to either listen to the 18 wheelers on channel 19 and what's happening out there, or to chat with my Goldwing buddies on channel 1.

And I find it best to stop every 100 miles at most for a soft drink, bathroom break, fuel, and/or just a stretch and short walk spending about 15 or 20 minutes before continuing on.

Now, note: granted I don't ride long distances or tour alone; I always ride (>100 miles) with a buddy or two along.

clicky below for pics, if ya interested

Last edited by a moderator:
I ma not an Iron Butt guy, but I have gone coast to coast x 2 , Seattle to AZ and do 500 miles ado no sweat. I find it relaxing and chill. I listen to music and audiobooks , stop and take pics and just enjoy the ride. I like to sort of just head where I want to go and wander my way there, without a real fixed path. At least with a GPS if I get too lost I can always get close to where I want to go and on track again.

SnipHow do you guys keep the concentration level high on long trips?
I spent the first six years of my LD riding experience without music or any type of on-board communications. Without that distraction, you spend a lot of time in your head, thinking about all kinds of things right down to your job, career, relationships and all manner life choices Yes, you even sing and talk to yourself. Things are a little different during a competitive rally where you can do a lot of on-the-fly route planning, calculations and second guessing of your plan. I never got bored during a rally but sometimes the rides to and from got a little dull. Still, the worst day on a motorcycle beats the best day at work. Since 2006 I've had XM radio. This has been great for the most part, reducing the boredom on rides of a day or more. During a rally I find it a distraction from what I should be doing: paying attention to my plan.

However, your question raises the point that LD riding is something you need to practice and build up to. Each of us is different and you might never attain the ability to spend days in the saddle with the concentration needed to be safe. But all of us can improve our abilities. Ride, eat, sleep, repeat. You might be surprised how far you can go.

I can't speak to what the real LD guys/gals do. Hopefully they'll chime in with their bits (or buckets) of wisdom.

What works for me (YMMV) is music or audio books. I also remind myself, sometimes verbally to "check around". I never have music on while in town.

Sounds like you have some great areas to ride in! I enjoy day rides around my state in the 300-400 mile range and what I find helps me concentrate on the ride is to keep evaluating and re-evaluating my position in relation to the other traffic and road conditions. For example while on the boring four lane freeway I'm constantly looking for ways to create more space between me and the other vehicles wether by changing speed or lanes. Also constantly finding the position that will give me the best view of the road up ahead and will allow other drivers to see me the best. Basically street strategies that are taught in the MSF BRC course to help you stay on your game. So glad you are enjoying the new bike.

Throttle lock made the single biggest point of difference for me on surging...but that was because it was one thing to reduce rider fatigue. I now find if I'm surging in speed it's because I'm tired and time to pull over to sleep. Because of throttle lock, decent helmet, handlebar risers, custom seat, and myriad of other things my distractions have been reduced so I can now spend 18-20 hours in the saddle day after day....or at least for 11 days. ;)

I pull over and take a 15 or 20 minute break every tank of fuel. I set my bikes up so that I can enjoy them the way I like to ride them. I use a Chatterbox and Zune to provide music and voice prompts from my Zumo. I have found that earplugs help me ward off fatigue longer. Point, go and have fun getting wherever there is.

In one month I will be leaving for a 908 mile trip on my Busa. I have two days to cover that distance. The only challenge will be the constant temptation to cruise at 100 or more. Like the FJR the Busa is ultra silky smooth at speed.

For me, it's full time watching traffic, mirrors, lane position, road conditions, junk on the road, looking at the view and having fun. Its like a game. I have big trouble getting bored in a car, but not the bike. One mistake and your screwed. I wear ear plugs, don't listen to music nor want to, have throttle rocker and cruise if needed. I like full days of 400-600 on slower state roads, but can do the 750-900 mile days on the super slab if needed. I go for the ride. My wife will say, "and you did that for fun"!!! Bottom line, ride your own ride. If 200 a day works, do that.

For really long days, like 800 miles or more, a good comfy seat and some sort of throttle lock are helpful. I have done 1000 mile + days without either of those so they are not essential, but they help. I typically run a tank 0f gas between stops. Then I drink a lot when I'm gassing up. Many riders will drink while rolling, but that doesn't work well for me and I only do that on very hot days. You must stay hydrated if you are going to be able to concentrate.

Regarding music and other electronic devices, I have seen riders get in trouble by playing with the radio or some other thing while riding. Take your eyes off the road for a few seconds and you don't know what can happen. I don't listen to music, but I do play music in my head all the time. Well, I even do that and hum to myself when I'm not on the bike, so that may be just me.

I use a radar detector and GPS. The GPS sits up high on a shelf so I can see it easily without having to look down to the instrument cluster. The GPS displays my speed and I use that as my speedometer most of the time.

I like to go fast. Riding faster than the traffic forces me to focus on every move and every other vehicle so I can plan my next lane change or pass. Moving fast, keeping an eye out for LEO and, traffic, and other hazards just doesn't allow me to start thinking about anything other than the ride. I did lose my focus for a few seconds last year and hit a small deer that I should have seen coming. I didn't get much sleep the night before. It was on a slow stretch of road coming out of a town and moving slowly like that allowed me to get distracted.

I even stopped at least four times during the day to stretch and hydrate and clear my head.
tip #1

Don't wait for a stop to do those things. Find a way to carry water on the bike and be sipping it all the time. Also, many of us go through stretching routines while on the bike. Think isometrics and think of about a 10+ minute routine for wrists, elbows, knees, back, neck, etc. and then repeat it about every 30 minutes.

Lots of good examples here. I don't use a CC. That forces me to maintain my speed the manual way and lets me know when I've become distracted or too fatigued. It's probably similar to flying, once your up at cruising altitude and engaged your autopilot, there's not a whole lot of interaction required.

This is the danger zone where complacency can kill. So you occupy yourself by constantly scanning for LEO's and wildlife, watching traffic and trying to predict what stupid move the next cager will make, watching the road, scanning your gauges, keeping your distances between vehicle, and some of the other things already mentioned. Doing this can keep you in the moment and prevent you from daydreaming.

Toooo much to do when riding a bike,,,

I'm always busy ... watching for dumba#*&@ in cars ,,

sand , gravel , oil, water, etc. on the road ,, watching for wild life, deer ,, suicide groundhogs, etc...

If you loose concentration for a second you might end up kissing a guard rail or as a hood ornament..

My son-in-law once asked what I did on long rides ,, if I listened to music or what ??

I told him I enjoy the ride,, too much to see ,, too much to do ... I have time to think about stuff,,

I can sing in my helmet,,,,

and if I get bored ,, I can always listen to the voices in my head.. :ph34r:

For me, it's full time watching traffic, mirrors, lane position, road conditions, junk on the road, looking at the view and having fun. Its like a game. I have big trouble getting bored in a car, but not the bike. One mistake and your screwed.
I like to go fast. Riding faster than the traffic forces me to focus on every move and every other vehicle so I can plan my next lane change or pass. Moving fast, keeping an eye out for LEO and, traffic, and other hazards just doesn't allow me to start thinking about anything other than the ride.
2247302-plus1.gif

And I learned long ago that eating Art's Tender Salt Sunflower Seeds keeps me from getting drowsy. Something about the process of eating them, YMMV. I keep a supply in my fairing pocket, atop a custom-shaped piece of packing foam, which makes the pocket about two inches deep. During these times, I put my reg. & insurance info in the tankbag, just in case I need it....

"I'd never advocate drugs, booze, violence and insanity as a lifestyle, but it works for me" - Hunter S. Thompson

I find the single biggest detriment to concentration on long rides is fatigue.

To keep fatigue at bay I've done everything I can to make the bike as comfortable as possible with custom seat and mods to put everything I need within easy reach. This includes water and snacks besides all the electronic farkles such as xmradio, music, CB. In addition I use mental and physical excercises to keep loose and aware. Learn to stretch and do rudimentary movements that get the blood pumping while riding. Calculate mileage and ETAs in your head, run "what-if" scenarios, any mental gymnastics will help. Everything else mentioned including talking or singing to yourself may work for you also. For me though, when I have to resort to those tricks I'm looking for a place to stop.

LD riding, including long tours over multiple days, requires practice. Work up your mileage and listen to your body and how you feel as you increase the miles.

dougc

not an expert but enthusiastic amateur

Much good advise here.

For me it is also about the comfort (seat, windshield, bar risers, etc), the AVCC, and tunes. I simply must have my Sirius sat radio or I go insane.

As others have said and you've noticed, It's not a matter of "How?" it's a matter of "Must". If you lose focus, you could end up slding down the interstate on your butt.

I've never had a problem with focus on the bike because I know that if I *don't* focus I could get hurt very, *very* badly.

It's that knowledge that gives me my focus.