How fast have you been

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
140 GPS - This was last Saturday on my way to a MSF course to teach, I was running late.

Let me tell you, at those speeds 14 degree temperatures SUCK!!!! I had 1.75 hour ride to the range to teach and I figured it would not be a big deal since it was 31 degrees when I left the house. But, 20 minutes into the ride the temperature drop 14 degrees and stayed there for an hour. I decided on this ride 25 degrees in my limit without heated gear.

A side note, Monday afternoon I checked my tire pressure to find I was missing 20lbs. What the heck, I lost 20lbs in three days and have some very bad wear. It turns out I picked a up staple somewhere. I am now wondering if the bad wear on my tire is related to the low tire pressure and the speed. Or, did I pick the staple up while going at those speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 160+mph. in a 41 Ford PU. 427 Chevy big block bored out to 500cu. turning 500hp. straight gas single 4 barell carb. And that was not all it had! Was passenger in a original Ford Cobra with 427 SOHC engine and made a hard 90 degree right hand turn at 90 mph and never went into the other lane. That car could run with anything on the road. My cousin also had a 66 Chevy Impala SS with 427 Chevy big block that we use to go Corvett hunting in. :eek: It would do over 160 as well. Went 100 + on hwy. 50 to WFO on the FJ with throttle lock on. NHP didn't care either. But really, any roads around where I live you really can't crank it up, too many people and cops and the roads are falling apart. PM. <>< :crazy: :dance:

What is sad is that I haven't been able to put together the money for a GPS to get a true speed reading. The rest is just the truth, sad as it may be.

Early this week Staples stores were closing out the Gen. 1 TomToms for $209.90. If you can find a store that still has any! Phil

FJR 145 with the missis on the back.

FZR clock read 160 at 11500rpm which the book says is 160 so 160 I suppose. Went for another gear but there wasnt one.

60mph into the side of a parked van. That was fun, decelerated to zero in 3 feet.

Racing no idea, probably not 160. (Back in the olden days).

150 on my Liquid Silver '03 -- w/bags (walked right up there). It was in '03 and I was invited to a small local BMW rally -- mostly old R bikes (air-heads) and a few old K-bikes. Some of us were just standing around the FJR when one guy asked, "How fast will it go?" 150 "When/where did you do that?" On the way over here -- on the 4-lane. There was a deafening silence and a few dropped jaws as, I imagine, those on old pushrod R bikes mentally tried to conceptualize ..... sort'a outside of their 'frame of reference'. :blink: :eek:

Kelbaker Rd, south of I-40 to the National Trails Hwy near Amboy. Ten miles, straight, level, smooth surface, no trees, no cross-streets, no driveways, no traffic. As close to a private-property closed-course as you'll find in Southern California.

Kelbaker Rd, south of I-40 to the National Trails Hwy near Amboy. Straight, level, smooth surface, no trees, no driveways, no traffic. As close to a private-property closed-course as you'll find in Southern California.
Nice road. 12 miles total between I-40 and NTH. Be careful near the one and only curve just south of the half-way point. A CHP or two have been spotted there (not to mention that's a prime place for a lost RV driver to flip a U-turn.

I always go the speed limit on that little stretch of road.

Kelbaker Rd, south of I-40 to the National Trails Hwy near Amboy. Ten miles, straight, level, smooth surface, no trees, no cross-streets, no driveways, no traffic. As close to a private-property closed-course as you'll find in Southern California.

AKA the most boring road in California. On the way home from somewhere or other, we planned a rest break at Amboy and I was going to have Ice-cream. For miles and miles I looked forward to that rare treat and then Amboy was closed when we got there. There was a diner (closed) and a post office (closed).

Instead of my frosty fix, I had a bottle of hot water taken from the saddlebag.

Jill

AKA the most boring road in California. On the way home from somewhere or other, we planned a rest break at Amboy and I was going to have Ice-cream. For miles and miles I looked forward to that rare treat and then Amboy was closed when we got there. There was a diner (closed) and a post office (closed).
Instead of my frosty fix, I had a bottle of hot water taken from the saddlebag.

Jill
Amboy was recently purchased by the owner of the "Juan Pollo" food chain. He's slowing restoring it in the hope of making it a "must stop" location for travelers. He sometimes has the store open for bottled sodas and water. Actually I think it's his caretaker that lives in / cares for / defends Amboy. You may be able to get that Amboy ice cream fix someday.