How many Motorcycles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently have my '07 FJR and an '03 V-Strom (DL1000).

The wife says... oh yah! The divorce is final effective yesterday! :yahoo:

Selling the Strom in favour of a smaller more capable (off-road) dual-sport and looking for something for the girlfriend, thinkin a G650GS.

I used to think, ideally, I like to have 7 vehicles (for 2 people):

- a family/commuter car (self explanitory)

- a pickup truck (for hauling and such)

- a luxury 4 dr sedan (a kid free zone for going out with more than 2 adults)

- a convertible roadster (just for fun)

- a touring bike (well... for touring)

- a sportbike (for fun day trips into the mountains)

- a dual-sport bike (for a different kind of fun)

On the cage side, as my kid is not as messy as she was when younger and I've ditched the wife, I've dropped the family car from the list. I've modifided the luxury sedan to luxury family sedan and added commuting to the roadster's duties.

On the motorcycle side, the FJR has easily met both my touring and sportbike requirements! :D

For nostalgic reasons, I'd also like to find a Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo in good condition (man I loved that bike!)

I have one now, a wonderful nearly perfect do it all bike that isn't too heavy to take a run to the supermarket.

I've had as many as four at once and that was a lot of work because I just had to have them all working to near mechanical perfection.

The reliable FJR has freed up all kinds of time that I'm forced, by my evil middle class socialization, to spend on the most horrible, demeaning, nasty type of work possible in utter and abject servitude to my stinkin yard. I had a lot more fun letting it rot while playing with the wrenches and looking for a lost tool.

Oh well, I've got my 1960's 3 hp Sea King purring in a water filled garbage can while belching only acceptable quantities of unburnt hydrocarbons. I will put it on my rowing canoe soon and go exploring the river. Of course with such reliable power on hand you always go upstream first! Ah summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Three, right now. My '06 FJR, the '87 FJ1200, and the '76 DT250. Which is two more than my wife thinks I need.
Just took the FJ to a dental appointment on friday. Man, it feels like such a tiny bike after riding the FJR. Hoping to ride the DT more when my son gets old enough to ride. Its street legal, but its a pain to dig out of the garage.
FJ's got teeth? WOW!
Must be, I took FJR to the Doctor yesterday. :lol:

An 07 FJR and an 07 Ural. The FJR for long distance at a decent time. The Ural is great for back road trips and around the town. I have to admit the Ural is getting the most ride lately. I can't pack a weeks worth of groceries or take my dog with me on the FJR. And a nice slow ride along back country roads early morning can't be beat especially when you're not worried about the gravel. :yahoo:

I guess I will jump in on this....

I traded one habit for another. I was into fast cars and that proved to break me much of the time, so the wife, YES THE WIFE, suggested motorcycles, so here is what we currently have stuffed into our garage:

87 Yamaha TW200

89 Yamaha FZX 700

04 Hyosung GT250

02 Hyosung GV250

09 Hyosung GT650

07 Hyosung GV650

09 Harley-Davidson XL1200C

04 Yamaha FJR1300

Thankfully all are paid off except for the wife's Harley. And I get a hell of a Christmas card from my insurance agent.

As for cars...that is another story all together, and not for this site......

Have 2 : FJR and VTX1800Want to sell the VTX and buy a ZX14
I bought the ZX14 when I put my cruiser up for sale. (but then I kept the cruiser for my wife to learn on.)

I rode the 14 for about 3 hours this weekend and the FJR for about 4 hours. Both are great bikes. The FJR definately is more comfortable. I worry about getting put in jail with the XZ14. Really.

I think one of the early posts that said you need six is about right. Right now I have three and would love to add at least three more to the stable. BTW the wife MADE me by my FJR, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :) (actually she would not ride on the back of the sportbike and the Norton has a solo seat).

I have two right now. The '08 FJR and an '03 Honda VTX 1800. The VTX has mostly become a garage queen but I do take it out for the occasional ride when I feel like annoying the neighbors, setting off car alarms and making dogs bark.

I've had up to four, the two above as well as a '99 Valk Interstate and an '01 Blackbird. Too busy to keep up with the registrations, maintenance, inspections and cleaning of four bikes and quite honestly I think I have found my "ideal" bike with FJR.

The only reason I haven't sold the VTX is because I have so much money into it for custom stuff, paint and chrome that I haven't come to terms with the bath I would take on selling it yet. I guess I have just outgrown my chrome addiction and noise = power phase. Yes...I have traded in my do-rag, skid lid and poser card for ATGATT and real riding.

I currently own three (the FJR, an 06 Triumph Sprint, and recently added an 09 Suzuki DR650) each of which has its own purpose, long trips, going really really really fast on twisty roads and the track, and on/off-road and trails respectively.

I almost have all the bases covered.

I'd like to find that vintage mc someone's forgotten about in a barn that I could restore. Then I'll eventually need a dedicated track bike, maybe a Daytona 675.

Yes...I have traded in my do-rag, skid lid and poser card for ATGATT and real riding.
VBG! I wonder how many forum members have evidence of past lives, lying in the garage or attic? I think I still have some chaps somewhere. My fringed jacket is still hanging in the closet. The leather vest was given away a long time ago. It never did acquire any patches.

Have: more than I should but I have a very understanding wife

Need:

1. FJR for commuting and every day fun

2. GL1500 for cross country roadtrips 2 up

3. ZRX1200R for a reincarnation of the Z-1 I had in college

4. TL1000R for that V-twin special something thats not an obsolete, overpriced, obese piece of bling

5. SV650 for the racetrack