How many use cruise above 80 mph?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something to consider is that 80 on my speed o meter is 77 78 according to my GPS. I trust my GPS over the FJR considering it has been confirmed by the Texas department of safety.

Just got back from a run to Austin Texas the other day. I certainly spent more time with my cruise set over 80 than under it. But as has been pointed out, things are a little different here out West.

Thank God I live in Oregon where sanity still exists somewhat as in 55 mph on secondary roads west of the Cascades with 65 to 70 mph on interstates. 80 mph is ridiculous in a car much less a motorcycle. When I lived in eastern Oregon I hated to travel into Idaho (Idachoke) near Boise with their ridiculous speed limits. seemed like every time I was near Boise there was always backed up traffic caused by a wreck. It gets so bad around Boise on I84 that emergency responders can't get near a wreck, real cool. You got these idiots blasting along at 80+ whilst texting. It has become just nuts out there! Much worse and I'm going to quit motorcycling, just not worth it! In my freaking opinion of course.
Oh yeah, real cool watching a rig vaporize a deer, NOT!!!
grrr.gif
So why have a bike with the HP of an FJR?

Speed isn't dangerous. Conditions, gear, state-of-repair of the bike, and rider skill can make it imprudent.

Not to get to far off topic, but on the interstate/multi lane highways I like to set the cruise a bit faster than traffic. That way I pass the slow ones and the fast ones pass me, and that leaves me mostly with an empty space all by my lonesome.

I average between 75 and 85 mph everyday in mostly heavy traffic 30 miles each way to and from work. I like to drive about 5 mph faster than most traffic because it's safer passing traffic than getting passed. But the traffic is so bad now that I rarely get to that 5 mph over. My daily driver of choice is an 03 corvette because it's performance, both in braking and acceleration, keeps me out of trouble. If I were to keep track of how often I have used cruise control the last 100,000 of driving to and from work, it would be zero percent. Using cruise in high traffic is suicidal.

I ride bikes for therapy, so I stay away from high traffic when I can. That means I ride in low traffic areas where I can safely use cruise. I have set my Harley cruises to 90mph on level terrain (because). So I really would like the FJR cruise to work above 80.

You guys have given some great suggestions for me to consider. I'm leaning toward the 2014 at the moment, but I'm not as leery of the 2013 since I can switch the module. They appear to be rare on EBay, but a new module isn't all that much more. Still, the balance for a new module does shoot me close to 2014 price. My only issue with the 2014 FJR is the Oklahoma University red. I graduated from OK State.

Beary

Beary, here's a question for you.

If you had a 2013 A model, how much would you pay someone to increase the cruise control limit by 20mph?

I ask it like that because if you buy a '14 A model for more money just for the cruise control, that's what you're doing.

For me, the answer would be "Not much." I do wish I could set it higher when I'm out west, but I'm also a pragmatist. Even though I feel like I'm making a lot better time going faster, I know I'm really not. Increasing my speed from 80 to 90 will save maybe 30 minutes over 400 miles of steady cruise control, and with other traffic on the road I know I'm not likely to have cruise set that far in any given day.

But some have bought later model ECMs to do that, which must have been costly. And some have even traded for the '14 models for that purpose, which must have been even more costly.

Bottom line is that only you know what it's worth to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 2014 A BECAUSE it was red. And not just any red, gorgeous Candy Red. Oh, and all of the other good things about the FJR that I had always wanted. AND the cruise of course. I have 32k miles on mine and at least half if not more of these miles are on cruise. Of all of the vehicles I've owned with factory cruise (and two vehicles I added an after market cruise to), none have had mph limits. It seems silly to me to have an 80mph limit on a bike that can hit 150+ on a good day. Not absolutely essential to have a 100mph limit but there is no down side to it.

Dan

Lol, yes old guy, I know I am the one to determine what it's worth to me. And while that isn't the question I asked the forum, I do enjoy reading the experiences of the other riders on the forum.

The thing is, I like going fast. Or even faster than fast. That's why a sport touring bike sits next to my Harley. Harleys don't do speed like FJRs.

I'm sure I could make myself satisfied with the 80 mph limit, but a voice in the back of mind would always be reminding me that I could have cruised a little faster for just a few more dollars. So I'm trying figure out how much is needed to pay off that voice.

Beary

Thank God I live in Oregon where sanity still exists somewhat as in 55 mph on secondary roads west of the Cascades with 65 to 70 mph on interstates. 80 mph is ridiculous in a car much less a motorcycle.
So 70 mph is fine and dandy but 80 mph is ridiculous?

Beary, here's a question for you.
If you had a 2013 A model, how much would you pay someone to increase the cruise control limit by 20mph?

I ask it like that because if you buy a '14 A model for more money just for the cruise control, that's what you're doing.
Sure, the higher cruise control limit, plus a much better looking color, plus a bike that is one model year newer and has depreciated 1 year less.

As to what it's worth, well it's worth right about $700, because that is how much a new 2014 ECU with the higher cruise limit will cost ya'. I guess you could reduce that amount by whatever you could get for the old 2013 ECU on FleaBay.
wink.png

Hi Fred, The problem with a speed limit of 80 mph is that opens the door for people to drive 90 and that is just a bit fast especially if you're one of these brain dead idiots that likes to text while driving. In Idaho you've got heavy trucks blasting along at 80+ just like the cars. Just another reason to avoid freeways, imo of course. Oh, and since recreational weed is now legal here you've got the drunks and pot heads out there on a Saturday night..NOT GOOD!

The good news is the Oregon State Police are staffing up so these fools that like to drive in a spirited brain dead fashion will soon pay for the privilege and I'm all for that!

James, I live on the other side of Idaho but work for a Boise-based firm and get there a lot. I've never seen any trucks anywhere in Idaho going 80+. The truck speed limit is 70, and they rarely exceed that in my experience. Also, we've had legalized pot all around us (CO, WA, medical in NV, MT) and I haven't seen a change in driving habits.

Oregon is known as a statewide speed trap central and I was so freaked out to speed there I actually stayed near the speed limit between Vale and Burns, and that was torture. I'm glad you enjoy it there. Personally I like it here and usually have the FJR over 100 by the time the on-ramp joins I-15, so we probably wouldn't make good riding buddies...

Hi Fred, The problem with a speed limit of 80 mph is that some people think it's a problem when conditions, equipment, and skill are up to the task (as observed by any LEO who paces the rider for x miles).
FIFY

And the last part isn't a fever dream. I've had that happen. LEO paced me at 90. Eventually he waved and sped off like I was standing still.

A ID local on a BMW and I traded lead back-and-forth through a section of interstate that actually had curves in it. Mid-curve a woman in a mommy-van passed us both. At no time were any of us unsafe for conditions.

I'll be the first to admit that those who are conditioned by high congestion can be mistaken (or even fearful) of speeds that seem unreasonable because applying those speeds to their local conditions probably would be unsafe.

Anything more than 350 miles in a day has been declared unsafe by a self-proclaimed "expert witness" because of HIS perception. The trick is that his personal truth about distance doesn't mean it's a universal truth. The same goes for speed.

I would never force someone to go faster or farther than they are comfortable doing. I typically expect the same respect from that other person toward my comfort zones. There is always someone faster, better, more able to do long miles than me so I would never impose my limitations on them. I've seen riders accomplish things that seem impossible from my perspective knowing my limitations. I choose to respect their ability instead of claiming they are unsafe based on my understanding of my ability.

James, I live on the other side of Idaho but work for a Boise-based firm and get there a lot. I've never seen any trucks anywhere in Idaho going 80+. The truck speed limit is 70, and they rarely exceed that in my experience. Also, we've had legalized pot all around us (CO, WA, medical in NV, MT) and I haven't seen a change in driving habits.
Oregon is known as a statewide speed trap central and I was so freaked out to speed there I actually stayed near the speed limit between Vale and Burns, and that was torture. I'm glad you enjoy it there. Personally I like it here and usually have the FJR over 100 by the time the on-ramp joins I-15, so we probably wouldn't make good riding buddies...
lol..lol.. I would have to agree, in part. More than once at the Snake River crossing into OR I've seen the OSP at the bridge just lying in wait for the oblivious Idahoan on I84 rolling along at 80 on one side of the bridge to not make it down to 65 on the OR side. Had more than one good laugh. Oh, I beg to differ with you as I've seen heavy trucks ripping along at around 85 in the inside lanes just west of Boise around Meridian just going for broke. My advice to you is don't get stopped in OR because the fines for speeding will put a serious dent in your wallet. Also, if you think OR is bad stay out of WA because the State Patrol doesn't give out warnings. I know as I lived up there for maybe 10 years.

I used to think the earth was flat and if I crossed the OR ID border I would surely fall off the other side, no joke.
no.gif

Speed kills and that's just a fact. I do hope you wear a helmet while blitzing the on ramp at 100 mph.

Lol, yes old guy, I know I am the one to determine what it's worth to me. And while that isn't the question I asked the forum, I do enjoy reading the experiences of the other riders on the forum.

The thing is, I like going fast. Or even faster than fast. That's why a sport touring bike sits next to my Harley. Harleys don't do speed like FJRs.

I'm sure I could make myself satisfied with the 80 mph limit, but a voice in the back of mind would always be reminding me that I could have cruised a little faster for just a few more dollars. So I'm trying figure out how much is needed to pay off that voice.

Beary
You've got your answer, then. ;) If you'll never be satisfied without a cruise that'll do 100 mph, pay the price. And you'll get that wonderful red as a bonus
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

Speed kills and that's just a fact.
No, that is not a "fact". It is just your opinion.

In reality, speed doesn't hurt you at all. It's the rapid slowing down from hitting something that hurts you.

You can also quite easily die from a motorcycle accident at only 25 mph.

Using your logic one could argue: Motorcycles kill and that's just a fact.

Shouldn't motorcycles be outlawed? It would be for our own safety...

It's a pet peeve of mine when someone argues by claiming that their opinion is fact, and so is indisputable.

Speed kills and that's just a fact.
Yes, that o'l aphorism is 100% true. That's why every time a jet takes off...it crashes. Sometimes it makes it a bit farther than the end of the runway, but when you attempt to go 500 mph you kill pretty much everybody on board every single time. Because speed kills and that's just a fact.

And those NASCAR folks that zip around tracks at 200 mph+ rubbing each other...they're lucky if 90% of the field doesn't die every single race. Because speed kills and that's just a fact.

And the times I rode around Nevada at uber-velocities for hours on end? I'm actually dead....because speed kills. And FJR owners that can break the speed limit in second gear....we're all dead because speed kills.

And anybody ever actually seen an astronaut after they went 18,000 mph? Nope....speed kills...it's just a fact.

Bullshit! A cruise control is just a tool and there's nothing magical about 80 mph, 100 mph, or any other speed point. I think the OP should get a '14 or newer. And that's my opinion.

I am here to testify I have survived speeds that by most would be considered to be ridiculous. I just don't do that where common sense says it's neither smart nor promoting the better interests of motorcyclists in general. That said, if you have you have never have ridden the open hinterlands of the west, do not judge me when I say it is just flat out fun to see what 160MPH feels like. Don't like it, don't do it. I promise to give you a wide berth when I go by, even a very slight wave.... it really can be done......