How Tough is a FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for your get off but glad you came out personally okay other than a bruised ego. None of us like to believe we make mistakes especially when riding. Your tale is a reminder for the rest of us to attend to our businesss all the time on the bike. Sure hope you get the blue beast running again soon without having to mortgage the house and the kids or wife if you have them. Stay safe.

Glad you are ok. Can't believe the trooper would write you a ticket after all that.
The state of VA has peculiar law enforcement attitudes, thankfully I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard stories.I turn off the RADAR detector and don't exceed 10 over down there.

Pretty impressive riding the feej through the woods, glad you weren't seriously injured.

Thanks for the details on the exact cause off your get off, I try and learn from them.

FWIW, RT 250 was the first road I ever saw a curve posted 10mph on, and sure enough, it was!

Sorry to hear about the getoff! Mighty glad your here to tell the story.

Food for thought for all of us here.

Thanks,

Dave

Scott, sure glad your ok...it could have been a lot worse. I can just see the expression on the cops face :huh: when you told him you'll ride your bike out of the woody/rocky terrain.

Hope to get to ride with you again in the future.

Scott, I'm glad you walked away from that in one piece. Ohhhh man, that had to be a bitch. Thanks for sharing that moment with us. I almost had the same

thing happen to me on our way to Eureka Springs for the SFO 09. A group of us met up in Little Rock (7 FJR's) and headed up on the check-in day. We met up

with a local guy and he led us up RT23 though some killer twisties to ES. This guy knew the roads so he leaned into those 180 degree twisties like a pro.

Unfortunately, it was raining like hell and my skill level wasn't anywhere near up to the task. There was this one 180 turn where I didn't slow down enough and I

climbed up into the dirt missing many trees by inches while holding on for dear life while I fish tailed for what seemed like FOR EVER. Thank God I made it

back on to the asphalt without hitting the deck. I absolutely SHIT MY PANTS, but I was sooo happy to be upright that the load in my diaper didn't bother me at

all. That was the pivotal moment in my life that made me pay attention to every split second of what's in front of me. I'm a better rider for it and I'm sure you will

be too. Glad you are here to tell your story! God Speed, My Friend! You will ride again!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are OK !!! Ballsy to ride it out after a high speed dismount...

I've been on Rt 250 from Va. to Ohio ,,, never thought I would get tired of curves ,,,

But I did that day ...

Glad you're OK and a big enough man to admit the cause of the problem. None of us are immune to rider-error mistakes but holding yourself accountable rather than looking for someone else to blame is the only way to go.

May the bike soon be fixed, and back on the road.

Sorry for your get off but glad you came out personally okay other than a bruised ego. None of us like to believe we make mistakes especially when riding. Your tale is a reminder for the rest of us to attend to our businesss all the time on the bike. Sure hope you get the blue beast running again soon without having to mortgage the house and the kids or wife if you have them. Stay safe.
Just noticed the trooper in the background... Glad you made it......

The bike was totaled (thank goodness) Setting up an 08 right now.

Whats my first farkle move? A Penske shock and a front fork retune by GP Suspension. I will have a brand new Wilburs Shock if anybodys interested.

I look back on this whole thing and I'm very humbled, especially when you consider what Tyler went through (going through). That girl's gotta be tough as a boot!

...I'm glad you walked away from that in one piece. ...
+1... How do you come out of something like that without injury? Falling the "right" way certainly helps, if you can control it. What were you thinking when you knew the getoff was imminent?

Whats my first farkle move? A Penske shock and a front fork retune by GP Suspension. I will have a brand new Wilburs Shock if anybodys interested.

I look back on this whole thing and I'm very humbled, especially when you consider what Tyler went through (going through). That girl's gotta be tough as a boot!
Glad to hear Scott. Are you back home? If so, how did you get back? If not home, how are you getting back?

Did you have any injuries (sep shoulder, bruised/broken ribs, etc)...if not you are one lucky and or tough dude. I found out, that it doesn't take much...even if you impact a nice grassy ditch. :)

did you have a power commander on it? lemme get that lol.

You are extremely lucky to go over the front and not have any injuries. Thats awesome man, live to fight another day!!

Yes, Mr Virginia State Trooper gave me a "Failure to control my Shit" ticket, but no tresspassing ticket.
I am pretty sure that the trooper told you that ticket isn't that big of a deal, right? Friend begs to differ. I'm pretty sure that it cost him a couple of thou to keep the reckless thing off of his record.

I will alert him on this thread so he can comment... maybe give you some pointers on handling it.... 'cause pretty sure that it is not as benign as the trooper makes it out to be.

Sorry about this... if it's any consolation, I will be traversing rte 250 this coming weekend coming from Huttonsville, WV to Staunton, VA. I'll wave at it for ya'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are OK.

Thanks for the reminder to ride your ride and to preset where the stop points are to meet up again if separation happens.

Great Attitude Scott!!,

I love my '06AE more today than I did when I brought it home 3 years ago. But, In the back of my mind I have a to do list with an '09AE as the first item on it.

My finger is on the trigger just waiting for an excuse the pull it. I just hope it's not an excuse as good as yours!! :rolleyes: