I came close to trading for an ST1300 today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc1300

Reaction score
GOD I WAS PISSED! I ride the FJR for work, and I get to put on quite a few miles ,lucky me. Well I needed to check a job in East Providence RI which is about 70 miles from my house and 100 from my office, yea, my life sucks ;-) Anyway, I left the jobsite and headed for home, I take Rt. 146 out of Providence. It was one of the few nice days we've had this spring and I really enjoyed the ride. I stopped in Auburn Ma. to make an appointment for new tires (again) and when I dismounted the bike......CRAP and SH@@$#$ and @#%R@#$ and, and, the left saddle bag was gone......just GONE.....@#@#$ and some more @#$%$, you know? Well, the bag gone's not bad enough, there was about $500 worth of gear in it. Well I back tracked as far as practical and of course NO BAG!

Well now I'm counting my blessings because in the right saddle bag is the company laptop, oh my GOD, if I lost that I would be in really deep do do.

So now I'm thinking, "crap, even if I replace the bag, can I afford to take the chance of losing the company computer?" And the answer is NO! So I get this bright idea, HEY, I'll bet the bags don't fall off of the ST1300! And when I bought the FJR it was between the two, although I never really checked out the Honda 'cause I fell into a really nice '05 FJR.

So I trot down to a dealer and they have, no shit, a leftover '07 ST1300, and it's nice, and they cut me great deal, but, I looked at the spec sheet and holy crap, the ST1300 weights as much as my Road Glide! So now I'm thinking I don't need two porky bikes, don't get me wrong, I love the RG but the FJR is fun and DIFFERENT.

So anyway, I came to my senses and ordered another bag for the FJR. I may bolt it to the bike but, I can't give it up ,it's too much fun.

PS. if anyone in RI found a Galaxy blue left saddle bag on Route 146 north PM me please, the bag's probably worthless but, I'd like the contents back.

PSS. Yea, it was probably operator error, so no need to remind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That SUCCCKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I think there is a fix for that... I read it somewheres..............

B.

GOD I WAS PISSED! I ride the FJR for work, and I get to put on quite a few miles ,lucky me. Well I needed to check a job in East Providence RI which is about 70 miles from my house and 100 from my office, yea, my life sucks ;-) Anyway, I left the jobsite and headed for home, I take Rt. 146 out of Providence. It was one of the few nice days we've had this spring and I really enjoyed the ride. I stopped in Auburn Ma. to make an appointment for new tires (again) and when I dismounted the bike......CRAP and SH@@$#$ and @#%R@#$ and, and, the left saddle bag was gone......just GONE.....@#@#$ and some more @#$%$, you know? Well, the bag gone's not bad enough, there was about $500 worth of gear in it. Well I back tracked as far as practical and of course NO BAG!Well now I'm counting my blessings because in the right saddle bag is the company laptop, oh my GOD, if I lost that I would be in really deep do do.

So now I'm thinking, "crap, even if I replace the bag, can I afford to take the chance of losing the company computer?" And the answer is NO! So I get this bright idea, HEY, I'll bet the bags don't fall off of the ST1300! And when I bought the FLR it was between the two, although I never really checked out the Honda 'cause I fell into a really nice '05 FJR.

So I trot down to a dealer and they have, no shit, a leftover '07 ST1300, and it's nice, and they cut me great deal, but, I looked at the spec sheet and holy crap, the ST1300 weights as much as my Road Glide! So now I'm thinking I don't need two porky bikes, don't get me wrong, I love the RG but the FJR is fun and DIFFERENT.

So anyway, I came to my senses and ordered another bag for the FJR. I may bolt it to the bike but, I can't give it up ,it's too much fun.

PS. if anyone in RI found a Galaxy blue left saddle bag on Route 146 north PM me please, the bag's probably worthless but, I'd like the contents back.

PSS. Yea, it was probably operator error, so need to remind me.
Have you seen the safety pin mod? The pin mod is also done on Honda ST's, the more lost bags reports I read the more I think about getting my drill out and adding some safety pins.

To answer your question about bags comming off a ST1300 they do I know 2 guys that had there bags come off not due to the bike but rider error of making sure the bags are on correctly it's not the bikes falut for bags comming off, the saftey pin for the FJR is a good backup, I always check after I lock down the bags to make sure the latch is secure, maybe we should put on our bags if found call.....just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question about bags comming off a ST1300 they do I know 2 guys that had there bags come off not due to the bike but rider error of making sure the bags are on correctly it's not the bikes falut for bags comming off, the saftey pin for the FJR is a good backup, I always check after I lock down the bags to make sure the latch is secure, maybe we should put on our bags if found call.....just in case.

Yea, but I think the bags coming off of the ST1300 wouldn't be as bad.....that thing needs a weight reduction program! :)

Have you seen an ST with it's bags off :puke:

They really don't look good with the clothes off, like finding your mother in law in the shower

Yea, but I think the bags coming off of the ST1300 wouldn't be as bad.....that thing needs a weight reduction program! :)
Yep...and loctite is your friend.

Have you seen an ST with it's bags off :puke: They really don't look good with the clothes off, like finding your mother in law in the shower
:lol: :lol:

GOD I WAS PISSED! I ride the FJR for work, and I get to put on quite a few miles ,lucky me. Well I needed to check a job in East Providence RI which is about 70 miles from my house and 100 from my office, yea, my life sucks ;-) Anyway, I left the jobsite and headed for home, I take Rt. 146 out of Providence. It was one of the few nice days we've had this spring and I really enjoyed the ride. I stopped in Auburn Ma. to make an appointment for new tires (again) and when I dismounted the bike......CRAP and SH@@$#$ and @#%R@#$ and, and, the left saddle bag was gone......just GONE.....@#@#$ and some more @#$%$, you know? Well, the bag gone's not bad enough, there was about $500 worth of gear in it. Well I back tracked as far as practical and of course NO BAG!Well now I'm counting my blessings because in the right saddle bag is the company laptop, oh my GOD, if I lost that I would be in really deep do do.

So now I'm thinking, "crap, even if I replace the bag, can I afford to take the chance of losing the company computer?" And the answer is NO! So I get this bright idea, HEY, I'll bet the bags don't fall off of the ST1300! And when I bought the FJR it was between the two, although I never really checked out the Honda 'cause I fell into a really nice '05 FJR.

PSS. Yea, it was probably operator error, so no need to remind me.
I ride from auburn mass to windsor conn, a few weeks out of the year for work as well. The company laptop always goes in the tank bag where I can keep an eye on it at all times.

Far as I can tell, they only get up and leave when loaded, and heavy. Could be wrong-in any case, I pin mine on any trip where the bags are packed.

You already ordered one from the dealer? I've got a lonely 05' left hand bag with some minor rash that I would let go pretty cheap.

Quick note about the ST1300 bags ability to dismount.

Besides me having an '06 FJR, my wife has a '05 ST1300. One day while backing her bike out of the garage, I found out one of her daughters had parked their bicycle directly in the way. Unfortunately, I didn't see this. The front tire of the bicycle went right between the bag and the rest of the cycle and popped the saddlebag off incredibly easily. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there, picking the now scatched saddlebag off of the driveway. I know that the bag hadn't been tampered with previous to this. Just the right combination of forces I guess.

It can happen to any of them!

paul from Minnesota

I just saw you post. I live off 146 in Lincoln. I'm going to take a cruise down to providence and then back north to see if I can catch sight of it.

I just saw you post. I live off 146 in Lincoln. I'm going to take a cruise down to providence and then back north to see if I can catch sight of it.
Thanks, I made the run and didn't see it but you never know...another set of eyes.

DC