I came close to trading for an ST1300 today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope I'm good to go

Mr. Previous Owner forum member demonstrated how to put on and take off the bags and stressed the after locked and mounted safety procedure: to 1) test pull on the handle and then 2) grab the bag and yank up to test it locked down. I hope this habit everytime guarantees the bag stays on the bike when upright and in motion.

I LOVE YOU GUYS :clapping:

At lunch today I went out and bought the pins to secure my bags.

When I took off the right bag the lock fell out of it. BOTH screws were missing. The left bag only had one screw (and it was loose) holding the lock in place.

If I had not gone out to do the pin installation, I probably would have lost a bag on the way home from work today.

DAMN, that was close. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Bob

I LOVE YOU GUYS :clapping:
At lunch today I went out and bought the pins to secure my bags.

When I took off the right bag the lock fell out of it. BOTH screws were missing. The left bag only had one screw (and it was loose) holding the lock in place.

If I had not gone out to do the pin installation, I probably would have lost a bag on the way home from work today.

DAMN, that was close. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Bob
Yea, I checked my right bag (the one that didn't fall off) and one of the screws was almost falling out!

I think I'll invest in Locktite corp. B)

Installed the bolt thru tab fix yesterday. Never have lost a side bag and sure wouldn't want to, and God knows I over load them when taking a trip. Seems like pretty cheap insurance and peace of mind. But I gotta ask, what is the down side of the bags staying attached if you crash, my thinking that may be the least of your problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I lost a left bag too - no sounds, no horns - just disappeared. Just thinking out loud... Maybe a design error (read: ignition switch)(?).

I guess cheap insurance may be the ticket... Sorry for your loss.

Ed

Wow, what a great story with a happy ending! What a team we have...
Happy ending? Maybe you need to look at the pics again :dribble:

It is a cool story, in all honesty - except that it cost the OP some money.
At least he didn't have to deal with a new lock set/locksmith. I know that after seeing the shape his bag was in after getting tossed off that I installed the lock pins this week

But I gotta ask, what is the down side of the bags staying attached if you crash, my thinking that may be the least of your problems.
In theory, if you hit something (like a deer or a Harley) with your luggage pod, it may take you down or pull the bike out of control, where it wouldn't have if it just sheared off, in theory....

it was operator error as the carry handle was up and not broken but the latch was locked indicating that the bag was not locked down properly.
That being said, I've never really thought that the pins were needed. I've tried to take the bags off the bike while they were attached and it doesn't happen. I spent 3 years riding down a half a mile of rough dirt road and never had a problem.

I guess putting a pin in every time may guarantee that the bag will stay attached but just taking a second to verify that the latch is properly engaged will do that as well.