I came close to trading for an ST1300 today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorta the same thing happened to me once on my BMW...the metal cover on the side bag flew off, the bag stayed on. I didn't know until another rider that saw it happen zoomed up beside and did a weird point at bag gesture. I remember driving over a noisy manhole cover, but in retrospect it was the noise of my bag cover hitting the ground. I pulled back around and played Frogger to get it out of the street for a duct tape reattach on the side of the road. I never thought the FJR bags could come off in route, I'll double check mine tonight.

FOUND IT!!!!!

Took a cruise up the highway from Providence. Saw a flash of blue and a reflection off the reflector down the embankment between the Sherman Ave entrance and Rt 116. I couldn't stop there because of a very small breakdown lane. I got off at the next exit and circled around, parked at the entrance and walked up the side of the highway. The bag was open and there wasn't anything else but trash around it-no hint of tools and such except for a small length of white chain. I figure that being as how it was the left bag and I found it down the right embankment, it had to bounce off the center guard rail before it got off the road. I didn't think to look on the southbound side for the contents. Below are a couple of pictures. By the way, it was operator error as the carry handle was up and not broken but the latch was locked indicating that the bag was not locked down properly.

I will pm you with my phone number if you want to pick up your bag...

102_3003.jpg

102_3002.jpg

102_3001-1.jpg

102_3004.jpg

102_3005.jpg

WELL, I HAVE MY BAG BACK!!!!!!!! I never in a million years expected to see it again. It's pretty much useless except for the lock, but I'll use it on the new bag. The best thing is that cota95 told me where he found the bag so on the way home I FOUND MY SWEATER!

THANKS cota95 and this forum and the inhabitants, I will pin the bags on, and locktight the locks, (the one that fell off was loose).

I said it before YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

WELL, I HAVE MY BAG BACK!!!!!!!! I never in a million years expected to see it again. It's pretty much useless except for the lock, but I'll use it on the new bag. The best thing is that cota95 told me where he found the bag so on the way home I FOUND MY SWEATER!THANKS cota95 and this forum and the inhabitants, I will pin the bags on, and locktight the locks, (the one that fell off was loose).

So, another forum member happened upon your bag? That's really weird.

WELL, I HAVE MY BAG BACK!!!!!!!! I never in a million years expected to see it again. It's pretty much useless except for the lock, but I'll use it on the new bag. The best thing is that cota95 told me where he found the bag so on the way home I FOUND MY SWEATER!THANKS cota95 and this forum and the inhabitants, I will pin the bags on, and locktight the locks, (the one that fell off was loose).

So, another forum member happened upon your bag? That's really weird.
See post #18 &23

Aw hell, them scratches'll buff right out....

That's purdy cool.

Good on ya Cota. :good:

Glad to see that you didn't get killed getting the sweater off the center guard rail! Nice meeting you today and good luck with the new bag.

"Glad to see that you didn't get killed getting the sweater off the center guard rail! Nice meeting you today and good luck with the new bag."

I pulled into the break down lane to contemplate getting it back, I was thinking maybe late at night but then it would be dark etc. etc. and then, like Moses parting the Red Sea, traffic disappeared and HOLY CRAP! RUN YOU FOOL, RUN! LOL

Holy Shit!!! How often does that happen? :clapping:
Probably really long odds, except the finder knew the bag had dropped somewhere in the vicinity and was looking for it.

Had a similar situation last year when I went on a road trip with some guys to Montana. One guy took his wife for a ride one afternoon without helmets on. While smoking down a country road, his wife tapped him to point out something and when he turned his head, his prescription glasses got sucked off his face. They searched to no avail and came back for help. So at least a dozen of us headed out to look. Can you imagine trying to find wire rim glasses amoungst grass and gravel on the side of the road? Unbelievably, someone in the group found the glasses! :yahoo:

Here's an idea for farklers and those who would like to build kits and sell. Have a electric solenoid that activates and locks the bags in place when the ignition is turned on or the headlights come on. Something similar to fuel tank lids on cars.

Why don't I be the guinea pig? Look at my username!

Sorry this happened to you, but boy your story finally woke me up and I installed Toecutter's pins last night.

Next week, I will be commuting to a local client with my company laptop (loaded with confidential info on multiple clients) , paper files, change of business attire, etc, etc.

I just can't afford to toss a bag, so thanks for sharing that one.

Take care,

Murph

Last edited by a moderator:
My new saddlebag's in, my new saddlebag's in, all I have to do now is remove the lock from.......the...........old....................bag...............SECURITY TORX SCREWS????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRRHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGG! SONOFA!@~! it never ends! LOL

...SECURITY TORX SCREWS????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRRHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGG! SONOFA!@~! it never ends! LOL
You can undo them using pliers, grip from the side, squeeze hard and turn slowly.

Replace with conventional headed screws. With Loctite.