I need a new LED torch (flashlight) - opinions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife likes to sweep the yard for critters before she walks the dog at night. We had a decent rechargeable floodlight that used an H3 bulb, but the battery died. I see that the new LED lights can put out some serious light for a lot longer than the older incandescent lights will. I am looking to spend in the $60 - $100 range for one that allows you to focus from spot to flood and light up 100 yds or more - any recommendations? Backyard pics would be cool. Thanks.

Streamlight would be my first thought. Have 2 ($50 and $20)with CREE bulbs. Military quality. But perhaps my favorite is an Icon Rogue($44). Very convenient button and sequence to different modes. IF you want bang for buck without waterproof or military specs, Nebo has several interesting options. I think the battery pac design on these is a weakness and some have failed prematurely. There are numerous Tactical brands(Sure-Fire, Fenix, O-Light)

My one Nebo($13) has the red laser feature. Useful to me in several situations. Has performed flawlessly for the 9 months I've had it. Still using the supplied AAAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redline 5620, we sell the heck out of them at my store. Bright lil flashlight @310L

nebo_5620-1.jpg

The NEBO Redline Select 5620 LED Flashlight offers maximum performance. NEBOs brightest flashlight to date, the Select features 310 lumens of intense white light which can be seen over 200 yards away (in spot light mode). This flashlight is very durable and is designed to be used in a wide variety of applications such as law enforcement, hunting, and hiking.

One high power LED bulb outputs 310 lumens of light (bulb rated for 110,000+ hours of life)

Smart Select Dial changes light modes with ease

Stealth Ring gives the option to block light from shining through the signature red ring

4x adjustable zoom changes the light from spot to flood

Anodized aircraft grade aluminum water-resistant compact body design

Magnetic base for hands-free lighting

Aggressive self-defense face

Rear glow-in-the-dark button

Steel belt clip

Lanyard included

Battery indicator causes the button to glow red when battery life is less than 20 percent

Heat-sink bezel design disperses heat from the bezel during extended periods of use

Signature red ring enhances each of the different lighting modes

Convex lens evenly distributes the light without dull or dark spots

+1 on the Clearwater Andie. 800 Lumens w/ two rechargeable batteries. Group buy pricing was really good. Would buy another at full price.

Stinger HP LED is awesome or the Light for Life is very nice too charges in seconds. I use both at work and trust my life to them...

Maglite's got some cool led's for reasonable prices. Check 'em out here: CLICKY

I like their MAG-TAC CR123... producing about 320 lumens. I think they're about 60 bucks. I like the smaller size coupled with the decent power.

Gary

darksider #44

I bought a Clearwater Andie for my tow truck. Holy crap!!! Light when you need it. I liked it so much I bought 2.

Rob

Well, there's obviously lots of options. You gotta pick one that's right for you.

With the specs you listed, the Trustfire Cree XML is perfect. I use one at work because its cheap to replace, uses rechargeable batteries, and puts out 3800 lumens. It does not have an adjustable beam, but it creates a very bright flood. I mostly use it for searching areas. Its here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006QQUJ1M/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_su_dp.

On my belt, I carry an Insight HX200 that I love.

I have another light from WWW.thru night.com that has a really good beam and is seriously bright, but it's a $200 light.

Sadly, Maglite is way behind the lumen curve and their weight is an issue. Back in the day they were cool, but they haven't advanced as much as they should.

I won't buy anything from Surefire as their prices are ludicrous. They have the Dominator light out that is $950 or more and is nothing more innovative than anything anyone else is doing.

Honestly, for what you're gonna use it for, that Trustfire light is the best bang for your buck. There are 3 of those on my squad and we haven't broken one yet.