I should have listened to you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallypiper

Reaction score
Sunday, during a stop, I had reason to look closer at the latch on my left side case and sure enough, the scew - yep, just one - holding the lock in place was very loose. One had already made its escape. So I checked the right and both were loose there, too. Luckily, nothing flew open and nothing was lost. I have some new screws from the local Ace (phillips instead of torx, plus a cool little right angle ratcheting phillips driver to get at the suckers), some red loktite and will make it all better this evening.

I will never ignore the advice of the FJR Forum again. I will never ignore the advice of the FJR Forum again. I will never ignore the advice of the FJR Forum again. I will never ignore the advice of the FJR Forum again.

Go ahead. :headbonk:

I listened to the advice and put some aircraft tape over them after I tightened them. They still come loose. I'm a dumbass, by the way.

They are on your side bags under the handle. Secure them or be forever damned with out a lock. Guidance, my son.....guidance.

QUOTE(Duezzer @ May 22 2007, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where are these screws located?

Anyone got pictures?

Your slightest wish ...

1_DSCF5813.JPG

(with apologies for quality, taken in a hurry against a bright sky background with flash ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
A piece of advice, give me your FJR :D
Well, I haven't done the Barbarian mod either. Nor have I disassembled the drive shaft to put some grease on it. So don't hold your breath.

I did put some more gas in the tank yesterday.

Advice to all - always add gasoline to the fuel tank shortly after the last bar starts flashing at you.

41 mpg by the way, 50% back roads ridden pretty calmly, 25% slab ridden at high/normal velocities, 25% stop and go commute with a couple of spirited spots requiring 6k plus on the tach for proper enjoyment.

I listened to the advice and put some aircraft tape over them after I tightened them. They still come loose. I'm a dumbass, by the way.
What is aircraft tape? Why didn't you use locktite? Oh, wait, I see it.

Mine were loose from the dealership! I used a trailer to get the bike home from the dealership and just started looking over the bike , I had read on the forum that these things were an issue, so I check it out, sure enough before I even got one mile on her, those screws were about to come loose. Loctite is a wonderful thing.

R3d

I keep a small tube of blue locktite with the toolkit on the bike. Now I apply some anytime I replace a fastner with threads on the bike. I almost lost several fairing screws after I ran some wires without locktiting the screws as I replaced them.

David

Well, I haven't done the Barbarian mod either. Nor have I disassembled the drive shaft to put some grease on it. So don't hold your breath.
according to your info, you have an '04 model. if you've never done any of those basic services, please remind us of this post when you decide to sell it.

btw: be careful and avoid getting loctite on abs plastic. it only takes a blink for the abs to act like it got acid on it. bad abs mojo.

according to your info, you have an '04 model. if you've never done any of those basic services, please remind us of this post when you decide to sell it.

btw: be careful and avoid getting loctite on abs plastic. it only takes a blink for the abs to act like it got acid on it. bad abs mojo.
OK, now I gotta ask. How may of you have disassembled your drive shaft assembly to grease the ends of the shaft?

By the way, I do all the "normal" routine maintenance regularly. Engine and rear end oil changes, plugs, throttle balance yada yada. Maybe at the end of this season or when I get the VFR back on the road or we finally have a rainy day, I'll take the shaft apart and grease the splines.

They require a torx bit, you can buy them at sears
Make sure you get the "security" torx bits. When looking at the business end of the bit, it has a hole in it.
Or if they're already loose, just take them out with your fingers and get you some phillips head screws instead. Stamp out tool proliferation.

If it was a regular allen head, is there really a way someone could take a allen wrench and loosen them to steal your boxes? I took them off, applied locktite and tightened them as tight as possible with needle nose pliers. So far, have not come loose. Oh yeah, and did this after loosing one - my punishment for not listening to the forum. :blink: