I think I know the answer, but I don't like it, so I want a 2nd-3rd-4th opinion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blassoff

Its just the dog in me, baby
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Gang;

I am the proud new owner of Frankenbike, but I have a problem I need to resolve.

During the transfer of documents, the only key to the bike was lost.

I called Yamaha Customer Service to inquire if they kept key codes for specific VINs. They said they did not.

I told them I would call back later to get a look at their records (selling dealer, in-service date, recall status, anything else they wanted to volunteer).

So, I believe my options are as follows;

1) Call the selling dealer and see if they possibly have a key code in their files.

2) Call a locksmith and have him pick one of the locks and then try to make a key for that lock.

3) Drill out and replace all the locks.

4) Try all the old FJR keys that I have in my garage (This is my fourth FJR, I could get lucky but probably won't).

That's all I can think of. Suggestions, preposterous ideas, and stupid pet tricks would be appreciated. Hell, It's almost Friday, lets hear from ya.

Thanks, Baz

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try taking one of the side bag locks in to a lock smith. They come apart very easily and any locksmith worth his salt should be able to cut a fresh one to match the tumbler stack up.

1. Good on yah for buying RadioHowies bike.

2. Good on yah for buying RadioHowies bike.

3. Good on yah for buying RadioHowies bike.

I have a 1960 BMW R60 with no keys. The tank has a recessed area for the tool kit with a 'standard' key. Local locksmith... 10 minutes. 40 bucks. Well spent.

Good luck, and Good on Yah Sir Blasoff!

You might try taking one of the side bag locks in to a lock smith. They come apart very easily and any locksmith worth his salt should be able to cut a fresh one to match the tumbler stack up.
I couldn't figure out how to pop the lock without breaking the handle. It's locked, so even drilling out the rivets on the cover doesn't help. What's the secret?

Have the locksmith go to your house, or wherever the bike is located. Watching them make a key is cool. Also, not nearly as expensive as one would think.

And ditto what Carver said: Good on you for buying Howie's bike.

Just stick a screwdriver in the ignition and give it a good hard twist. Hey, it works for all the guys they pull over on "Cops" every week.

And it was you who asked for preposterous ideas.
rolleyes.gif

Was that a bike that had the ignition switch recall? If so maybe a dealership can get the key code from the replacement switch set that was installed?

Might be fun to try to pick a saddlebag lock yourself. There are 5 tumblers, three sprung one direction and two the other. Apply some constant rotational torque to the latch bar through the groove. This will pin the brass tumblers against the lock housing. Using a small screwdriver, pry each tumbler to the center.

My used bike had 3 different keys. I recently disassembled and rearranged all the bikes key tumblers to match the ignition key.

... it works for all the guys they pull over on "Cops" ...
Talking of cops, if you get a locksmith involved, make sure you can show ownership of the bike.
"I've acquired this motorcycle without using the keys, can you make me a key so I don't have to use a screwdriver?"

Is it possible to remove and disassemble the seat lock

without damaging anything? Might be worth a look.

Using it to make a key might be a good place to start.

It seems to me that the cylinder for the ignition has more tumblers than the ones in the tank, side cases or seat release. Solving these may not enable the starting of the bike. Somebody may (will almost certainly) correct me if I am wrong but until you can verify, don't assume that taking one of the other cylinders to a locksmith will get you going.

Might be fun to try to pick a saddlebag lock yourself. There are 5 tumblers, three sprung one direction and two the other. Apply some constant rotational torque to the latch bar through the groove. This will pin the brass tumblers against the lock housing. Using a small screwdriver, pry each tumbler to the center.
My used bike had 3 different keys. I recently disassembled and rearranged all the bikes key tumblers to match the ignition key.
I used to love the BMWs because rekeying was so simple you could do it yourself.

Once I'd seen the parts manager do it for panniers, I was able to do it myself.

Very useful, but you do have to have the correct key for the lock you want to rekey in order to get the cylinder out of the lock to begin the process.

It's the last nice day for us in a long forecast, so I'm going for a ride.

So, I found a locksmith who said for $75 I'll make you a key if I bring him the ignition switch ($150 if he comes to me and does it on-site).

That's one option. I still need to call Mama Yama and see what info I can glean. I'm the shit at drilling locks, not much for picking, so I'll continue to investigate my options.

Thanks for the wonderful and preposterous suggestions!!

Hope you can get the seat removed so you can lift the tank so you can get to the ignition switch so you can remove it so you can take the switch to the locksmith so he can make the key for you...

Haven't looked close but would it be possible to remove the seat lock...2 funky screws you would have to defeat ?