If I didn't have bad luck....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason, quit breakin' things!!!
I've spent my lifetime trying to find things I'm talented at.

It wasn't sports

It wasn't music

It wasn't art

I'm not a particularly good rider.

Crap...I'm good at breaking things. This sucks. If only I could find a way to make money at this rather than the other way around.
sad.png

I'm a bit confused -

Was this damage caused by an overloaded top box or saddlebag?

Depends on your definition of overloaded. This is pretty well covered elsewhere, but Yamaha says not to use the side bags in conjunction with a top box. Either or kind of thing. Then they also say you can only put 11 lbs in the top box. Really easy to get "overloaded" with those numbers.

Sadly and thankfully, I'm not the first to experience this.

https://www.google.com/#q=broken+cracked+subframe+site:fjrforum.com

Jason, quit breakin' things!!!
I've spent my lifetime trying to find things I'm talented at.

It wasn't sports

It wasn't music

It wasn't art

I'm not a particularly good rider.

Crap...I'm good at breaking things. This sucks. If only I could find a way to make money at this rather than the other way around.
sad.png
You could always think about opening/operating a scrap yard......................

Good luck with the fix.

Consider a career in some type of quality control position. You've apparently mastered the art of finding the weak spots.

All these a-holes posting pics of their 2014. Makes me want to just roll it down to the Yamaha dealership.

But the $$$ ain't there and this one is just broken, not used up yet.
biggrin.png

I'm still a bit confused. The break you had is not in the part of the sub-frame that supports the side bags. So what rear trunk do you use and what kind of mounting system?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shad SH50 with Shad mount. Broken in the same place that I've found tons of pictures of others with breaks.

CAM00149_zps2ee33d07.jpg

So there was no auxiliary frame to distribute the load properly to the frame like the GIVI frame?

That little subframe at the back end of the FJR really has been designed for a passenger, sidebags and little else. Sticking a big top case loaded up with goodies at the end of that cantilevered frame will bite you eventually if a proper GIVI-type sub-frame is not installed. You may get by for awhile...but eventually the laws of physics and material sciences win.

The FJR is known to be a mule, but damn, I haven't seen anything like that since my boy tried to ride his TW200 like a WR250R!

So there was no auxiliary frame to distribute the load properly to the frame like the GIVI frame?
That little subframe at the back end of the FJR really has been designed for a passenger, sidebags and little else. Sticking a big top case loaded up with goodies at the end of that cantilevered frame will bite you eventually if a proper GIVI-type sub-frame is not installed. You may get by for awhile...but eventually the laws of physics and material sciences win.
Yea, there's a number of mounts (stock FJR one as well) that mount up back there without the GIVI style frame. As I fix this up, I'll definitely add a Gerauld stiffy kit and the Givi frame going forward.

That looks like the one. Interesting though, in the lower left hand corner, it looks to be mounted to a GIVI or something else and not the stock FJR handles. Is that even an FJR? Certainly not a Gen II.

Yes, that one picture in the lower left is out of place.

I believe that SHAD actually makes some sort of a Givi-like support frame for the FJR now. Probably after reports like yours.

I went ahead and sucked it up and bought the one on ebay. By the time I'd ship mine there and back and pay the good man for his time and materials, I'd likely be out about what this one is costing. Plus, our season of good riding weather is fleeting here in Texas and I don't want to miss it! Gonna be triple digits before you know it!

I'll likely live with broken plastics for a bit and maybe just backpack the laptop till I can get better mounting.

Yamaha says not to use the side bags in conjunction with a top box. Either or kind of thing.
What a bunch of Bullshit!

Yamaha makes a Sport/Touring bike and they make luggage for It, but you can't use all the luggage at ONCE!!??

Yamaha should RECALL any FJR that has that frame break and either weld or install GOOD strong metal instead of the cheap pot metal it comes with.

Frames should be STRONG not weak!

Honda did it with Gold Wing cracking frames,why can't Yamaha?