If I didn't have bad luck....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petey gets all his travelling gear in two ziplock sandwich bags. That way he doesn't have to bring the side bags along. He doesn't want that extra weight on the suspension...and slowing him down in the curves.
Are you gonna be surprised the next time you see me on the feej, it's going to have the side bags and a top (Pelican) box mounted, but of course the subframe will have Garaulds Stiffy Kit installed, and the feej will handle the extra weight (in the curves) just fine, I hope
punk.gif
BTW, the time ( IIRC was at the "Angler" get together) I was packing relatively light, I riding my FZ1 without bags. All I had was the rear seat bag.
tonguesmiley.gif

Petey gets all his travelling gear in two ziplock sandwich bags. That way he doesn't have to bring the side bags along. He doesn't want that extra weight on the suspension...and slowing him down in the curves.
Are you gonna be surprised the next time you see me on the feej, it's going to have the side bags and a top (Pelican) box mounted, but of course the subframe will have Garaulds Stiffy Kit installed, and the feej will handle the extra weight (in the curves) just fine, I hope
punk.gif
BTW, the time ( IIRC was at the "Angler" get together) I was packing relatively light, I riding my FZ1 without bags. All I had was the rear seat bag.
tonguesmiley.gif
Yeah, I remember having fun following Smitty, Dave, and you on that FZ back to the barn. 2 sandwich bags. I remember my chagrin as I hauled bag after bag...and you with your two little sandwich bags.
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
punk.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
Yeah, I remember having fun following Smitty, Dave, and you on that FZ back to the barn. 2 sandwich bags. I remember my chagrin as I hauled bag after bag...and you with your two little sandwich bags.
biggrin.png
Those zip lock (not sandwich) bags kept my stuff dry, Adam should of had some in his shoes to keep his feet dry...remember? My FZ didn't have a glove box so I probably had my toothbrush in my pocket...
ohno-smiley02.gif

It's not cool. Neither is the one next to it. Neither is the spider one. But there ya go...
biggrin.png

I'm wondering if an 18 pack of long neck Miller Lites would overload my Yamaha trunk? I guess icing them down is right out?

Gixxerjasen, sorry to hear about all your troubles with this subframe issue.

I'm wondering if an 18 pack of long neck Miller Lites would overload my Yamaha trunk? I guess icing them down is right out?
Gixxerjasen, sorry to hear about all your troubles with this subframe issue.
Don't know about the 18 Miller Lites but I regularly carry 6 bottles of wine plus some other essentials in a Givi E55 with the Givi rack...................

I used to carry a 24 pack cube of Mountain Dew to work in my smaller GIVI on the FZ1. Cheaper than paying for the soda machine.

No worries...a whole case will fit, seen it done -- with ice!

Back to Jasen's issue.I'll bet the stock luggage rack broke first at the cross [bar] connection and then ruined the sub-frame. AuburnFJR had his stock rack break, but he caught it before any sub-frame damage. Now he's using a SR357 with OEM trunk adapted to it.

--G

FWIW, I can repair and fix up the broken subframe and plastic pieces very reasonably. The stiffy kit should prevent future subframe failures, and if it were to happen, it would keep the whole rear assembly together so it wouldn't go bouncing down the street...
ohno-smiley02.gif

I've been removing unnecessary bolts and pop rivets. Subframe first was supposed to arrive Monday of this week, then it was pushed to Monday of next week, and then it arrived today without any warning. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I've got some other boxes coming too, pics of them when they arrive.

CAM00174_zps3akdbm4a.jpg

Looks like a few hours of quality "garage" time with the FJR for you this weekend Jasen.

Pretty impressive breakage...and recovery Jason. I've been using the Givi E55 topcase with SR rack on cross country trips and otherwise well-loaded (did you know it will hold a case of beer?). Typical day on the road...side cases, top case and a duffle bag.

dragon9.jpg