If it is below 40 deg F, should I have the middle cowl open or closed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should I have the middle cowl open or closed

• open (adjusted away from the frame) makes rider warmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • closed (adjusted closest to the frame) makes the rider warmer

• It doesn't do a darn thing

• I'd rather have pie

• wgara

• free Britney

• Total voters

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
I have read lots of opinons about what the adjustable fairing on the 06/07 does, thought a voting pole would be interesting.

Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
In the cool weather is the best time to really see where warm (hot) air is coming from. Down here in Texas the majority of the time is just hot no matter what you do!

I don't know if having them adjusted "Out" really helps to direct any more heat towards the riders legs, but I figure it at least blocks a little more wind from getting to your legs.

Maybe it's subjective, but I certainly feel warmer with the fairing extended. The wind stays off my legs, and a larger pocket of still air seems to exist, up to mid-torso.

On another note - my new Rifle shield shipped today! I'm as giddy as a little German school-girl!

Hopefully I can get this typed fast enough to hit "Add Reply" before this gets moved to NEPRT.

It makes no difference.

The adjustable fairing is a marketing gimmick and no empirical data exists to contradict that claim.

I could do a search for you if you’d like...

edit: I didn't vote because you didn't list "I'll have another"

No idea, haven't tried it below 70 degrees yet, so I opted for pie.

The adjustable fairing is a marketing gimmick and no empirical data exists to contradict that claim.
Thanks alot, Joe! I was at least hoping it would work like a VW bug heater.

It's been in the lower 30s here on my way to work and I had mine out in 25 degree weather and snow flurries last weekend. Extended the fairings and I can tell a difference. I may be psychochromatic cyclesomatic a head case, but I think it keeps most of me warmer. The only thing that gets cold now is my fingers so I'll be looking into grip warmers or better gloves.

Outboard directs heat at the rider.

A simple way to test this is open just one - you'll feel the difference.

And make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the little plastic bars are in the metal spring clips - or you may be waving bye-bye to your panel -

I've been riding with them out for a couple weeks now and it does make a difference if your riding fast enough (55+) otherwise the wind just goes around them. They do absolutely nothing for your shins and feet.

I've been riding with them out for a couple weeks now and it does make a difference if your riding fast enough (55+) otherwise the wind just goes around them. They do absolutely nothing for your shins and feet.
Yes warmer in the outter position. Yep, there isn't a huge difference but there is one below 40 degrees.

I chose pie because.....well I do like pie.....but also because I have a Gen I and it didn't seem fair that I should skew things for the well-intentioned author that survived that thread from hell last week.

The idea of not voting....well just didn't see right to me. It's the second time I've done it this week with my mail-in local ballot and feel all patriotic. :yahoo: