If you had to move to a ideal place

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved here and didn't realize how great it was for about ten years...now it's a difficult thing to consider living anywhere else. I figure there is a reason there are too many people in California....people like me that want nothing more than to move home find out why so many people .......... don't.
I know exactly what you mean. I moved to California from Utah and it took a long time before I wasn't looking for every opportunity to get the hell out. But I can say in all honesty that pretty much anyplace on the west coast would be fine with me. I spent the last week in Seattle and I find myself looking to relcate up there now. The same thing happens every time I go to Portland OR. :lol:

But I hate leaving my little weekend retreat in Big Sur as much as anything. With rain only in the winter, never snow, and temps year round cool enough to make you actually want to wear all your gear...well...it sucketh not.

DSC00964.jpg

northern Arkansas has it all - low land prices, far enough south you get a change of season but not much snow, far enough north you don't get the the high summer temps.

Low property and state taxes and as an added bonus you have those great Ozarks mountains in Arkansas and southern Missouri to ride in.

Yup, Arkansas is where I am going to retire.

I have decided I cannot limit myself to one place. I need two.

Spring to Fall. I will take Park City Utah

Winterish months.............. Somewhere else

Morrow bay, Ca or Fort Bragg, Ca were both interesting enough to look at again. But I think north Idaho would be perfect. Great roads, Great Lakes for boating and fishing, and anything else outdoors. Not a lot of Kalifornians yet and still relatively affordable. jr

I live an hour south of the Canadian border in Northern Idaho (Sandpoint). Six months of the year riding. Yes, some great roads. I think I need a couple of places too. In the winter maybe No. Cali, altho can't stand the taxes, politics, drivers, yada, yada; sure is pretty. Carolinas are lookin nice or Tennessee. :lol:

Anyplace in Mexico, as long as it isn't close to a border town or Mexico City. Super cheap cost of living, friendly people, most areas you can ride 12 months a year.

I'm already there. Texas. I've lived in Colorado, New Jersey, Illinois, Delaware, Germany, and Japan. I've always come back to Texas. I've visited a lot more places, including California, Utah, Pennsysvania, The Netherlands, Belgium, and other places. Texas is where I need to be. And here in north Texas, I've got access to the top-notch riding in southeastern Oklahoma and northern Arkansas. It's just a 400-mile run to the hill country. I like it here. Here is where I'll stay.

Doesn't this sound like La Jolly, CA?
Werd.

But Fresno's pretty nice, in a low-income kind of way. I can hop on my bike and be somewhere really nice west (coastal twisties) in a couple of hours or or east (mountain twisties) in ten minutes. And you can still get into a house for a quarter mil.
La Jolla and Fresno don't exactly qualify as areas of mild traffic... Um jus sayin.

Plus CA doesn't really qualify as best livable place. Taxes too high. Property values unrealistically high.

Plus CA doesn't really qualify as best livable place. Taxes too high. Property values unrealistically high.
Yeah with the unbeatable weather, roads and scenery we have little else to keep the undesirables out. Gotta use what we got. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah with the unbeatable weather, roads and scenery we have little else to keep the undesirables out. Gotta use what we got. :p

Ya need one more thing, A BIG FENCE.
Woodie Guthrie sang a song about entering California during the Great Depression:

"Lots of folks back East, they say, is leavin' home every day,

Beatin' the hot old dusty way to the California line.

'Cross the desert sands they roll, gettin' out of that old dust bowl,

They think they're goin' to a sugar bowl, but here's what they find --

Now, the police at the port of entry say,

"You're number fourteen thousand for today."

CHORUS:

Oh, if you ain't got the do re mi, folks, you ain't got the do re mi,

Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.

California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;

But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot

If you ain't got the do re mi."

Complete lyrics

https://www.geocities.com/nashville/3448/doremi.html

It ain't worth it here, until you live it...then leaving is harder than what it took to get here.

"

northern Arkansas has it all - low land prices, far enough south you get a change of season but not much snow, far enough north you don't get the the high summer temps.
Low property and state taxes and as an added bonus you have those great Ozarks mountains in Arkansas and southern Missouri to ride in.

Got some friends in Hot Springs trying to talk us into moving there. They say it's the best water you can drink and best air you can breathe.

DSCN14250001.jpg

DSCN14090001.jpg

Is it really humid in northern Arkansas, like Texas;did 14 years in TX, don't want to do that no more (no offence TXns, but been there, done that in Houston, Dallas and Austin--Austin is OK)? Are the Ozarks in the northern part of Arkansas?

Is it really humid in northern Arkansas, like Texas; Are the Ozarks in the northern part of Arkansas?
average humidy: 75%

northern part of Arkansas

Sure surprised to find out that the average RH of Corpus Christi, TX is 61% and Hot Springs: 75%. Go figure. Living there (CC, TX) on the coast, it's always high humidity. One of those figures has to be a mistake. ;)