If you were to do it all over again....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr._Gone

Reaction score
Right now I am not happy with my riding clothes — boots, pants, jacket, gloves, rainsuit. None of it. Oh, it all works, but I keep dreaming of something better. Something simpler and more effective. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But maybe, just maybe, there's a better way....

So the question is: with all the miles and mishaps behind you, if you could start over with completely new gear, and money was no object, what would you buy for all seasons? I'm looking for the minimum clothing setup. One-piece suit? Or pants and jacket with removable liners and waterproof shells? Simple layering for cold temps? Or heated gear? How many pairs of gloves would you buy? Waterproof gear? Or regular gear with a separate rainsuit?

Go ahead, ladies and gentlemen, dream big and tell me what you'd buy, and why? Or tell me what you already own and works for you. I commute nearly every day (unless it's snowing, or there's ice on the road), I do some weekend 400-mile trips, too, and I do some long-distance multi-week touring every year. The temps where I live rarely drop into the single digits, but it's been known to happen, and during the summer I usually hit 90+ in June and I'm 100+ degrees for a lot of July and August. I am not an adventure rider, so I'm not riding off-road; I'm on streets and highways all the time. I am looking for the easiest clothing setup that will handle everything — hot, cold, sun, rain, the whole weather gamut. I guess I'm just looking for the right clothing "philosophy" and then I'll adjust my current gear accordingly.

I have gone through various gear in the past 10 years, usually only buying "what I can afford"...and the gear was not optimal.

I recently purchased the Olympia Air-Glide Mesh jacket and pants for wifey and me.

I purchased a one piece tourmaster rainsuit that vents well and goes on quickly. I do find however, that the chinese subcontractor puts very tiny and cheap zipper handles on the tourmaster gear...they arealways the first item of failure on anything Tourmaster.

I'm happy with my Held gloves and Oxtar boots. Shoei R1000 helmet fits me and vents well.

That all being said, airboss has a perforated leather jacket from Aerostich that he says vents extremely well...I've ridden with him in some really hot environments, so it must vent well. I would love the protection of perforated leather.

I have been through a few sets of gear and the one thing I look for is waterproof. Not waterproof liners, but waterproof outside so I don't have to stop and add anything when it starts to rain. So far I have found gear that is pretty good at this, but still gets wet if I'm in heavy rain for extended periods of time.

Regarding gloves, I gave up on waterproof and use the Motoport racing gloves. They are a stretchy kevlar fabric with hard armor in the important places. They are not waterproof, but they dry fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for the easiest clothing setup that will handle everything — hot, cold, sun, rain, the whole weather gamut. I guess I'm just looking for the right clothing "philosophy" and then I'll adjust my current gear accordingly.
I'd have exactly what I do have and detailed in my blog write-up. And I keep evolving it over time.

I am looking for the easiest clothing setup that will handle everything — hot, cold, sun, rain, the whole weather gamut. I guess I'm just looking for the right clothing "philosophy" and then I'll adjust my current gear accordingly.
I'd have exactly what I do have and detailed in my blog write-up. And I keep evolving it over time.
Fantastic write-up, Ignacio!!! Now that is exactly what I was looking for: what you wear, and why. More and more, I am considering a Darien jacket. Is is waterproof — truly waterproof — or do you also have a rainsuit?

I am considering a Darien jacket. Is is waterproof — truly waterproof — or do you also have a rainsuit?
Covered in the write-up. See the quote by Jim Owen about that subject....which I subscribe to as well. And I think he runs a Darien too.

If I had a rainsuit...it would have been in the write-up. Rainsuits aren't waterproof either and don't add much resistance over a Stich IMO.

I have gone through various gear in the past 10 years, usually only buying "what I can afford"...and the gear was not optimal.

I recently purchased the Olympia Air-Glide Mesh jacket and pants for wifey and me.

I purchased a one piece tourmaster rainsuit that vents well and goes on quickly. I do find however, that the chinese subcontractor puts very tiny and cheap zipper handles on the tourmaster gear...they arealways the first item of failure on anything Tourmaster.

I'm happy with my Held gloves and Oxtar boots. Shoei R1000 helmet fits me and vents well.

That all being said, airboss has a perforated leather jacket from Aerostich that he says vents extremely well...I've ridden with him in some really hot environments, so it must vent well. I would love the protection of perforated leather.
What Wheatie said.

I Sprang for the Aerostich Transit Suit, two piece jacket and pants.

Rode up to Duluth couple of years ago intent on getting a roadcrafter or darien the only question was two piece or one piece.

After trying both on for sizing and comfort tried a transit suit, heard the story of how the leather was treated to reflect UV radiation and waterproof with waterproof zippers, plus the transit just felt better to me. after wearing the suit for a couple of seasons I can say it all works for me. Biggest issue I have is stopping the air flow in cooler weather. That why I still pack a rain over jacket, not that the suit leaks, but I need to block the air cause I get cold.

Griff and I rode back from NAFO across I 80 and had two days of 100+ temps with no cooling vest, was I comfy NO, did I cook NO.

The all season suit? Transit suit is still not the answer, don't think there is one. Still it is my choice for anything more than a day ride.

I am considering a Darien jacket. Is is waterproof — truly waterproof — or do you also have a rainsuit?
Covered in the write-up. See the quote by Jim Owen about that subject....which I subscribe to as well. And I think he runs a Darien too.

If I had a rainsuit...it would have been in the write-up. Rainsuits aren't waterproof either and don't add much resistance over a Stich IMO.
Sorry, I must have skipped the Jim Owen quote. I appreciate the response.

btw I currently have a BMW ProRain3 rainsuit. Tested it in a 10-hour frog-strangling downpour in Michigan's upper peninsula — no leaks. I was perfectly dry at the end of the day. I understand that nothing is truly waterproof, but I'd have to say the BMW ProRain3 is pretty darned close... and maybe that's all I'm looking for.

Looking at the Darien jacket, do you have yours wired for the heated Warm N Safe liner? On the Aerostich website, it appears that you have option to have the jacket wired for different heated gear setups. Or do you just plug into the bike?

Looking at the Darien jacket, do you have yours wired for the heated Warm N Safe liner?
I use the Warm N Safe as pictured.
"As pictured" — the vest isn't plugged into anything. I'm just asking a question, and what I believe was a fair question considering the wiring options with the Darien jacket, so I thought there was some ambiguity there. If you don't want to answer, that's fine; you don't have to be pedantic. I do appreciate your response very, very much, and your write-up was very, very helpful.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine; you don't have to be pedantic.
If you don't want to read, that's fine; you don't have to be an ass Mr. 22 Posts. <_<

I did answer.....please don't trim the part that is more pertinent to the context.

If I did I'd have put it in the article. I use the Warm N Safe as pictured.
I do appreciate your response very, very much, and your write-up was very, very helpful.
You're welcome. :D

If I had to do things all over again, I would have bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter right off the bat rather than starting with 3 different types of somewhat expensive jackets and two sets of pants. After 8 years of constant use, my RC is like a second skin and has remained pretty much waterproof for me (sweat excepted) through annual treatments. If not the RC, then certainly I would have done the Darien/AD1 combo. I've not needed anything else since. LDComfort gear underneath on non-commuter trips. In the winter time, I use a Warm n Safe jacket liner and simple sweat pants in the suit...never really needed anything more than that for warmth in my area.

Edit to add: On the boots, I have a set of Oxtar Matrix Gore Tex-lined boots I've been using for years; made the right choice with those from the start. Very comfortable, easy to walk in, waterproof, and decent protection. For gloves, I've started using the Aerostich Competition Elk Skin Ropers recently...I really like them and plan to pick up the lined version for winter use! I still have some Aerostich 3 season Vegan gloves (these were my go to gloves before the ropers), a somewhat heavy pair of Tourmaster's for the winter, and a raggy pair of Joe Rocket mesh gloves.

Had to double check... thought it was Friday already :)

As for me, I wear nothing but Cycleport (Jacket and pants).

Cycleport jacket- 3/4 mesh. It looks like it would be heavy and hot, but it breaths very well and I don't think you can get more protection from a jacket. I have the wind/water liner as well and the fleece liner. Will wear my wind/water liner when it gets colder or raining and when super cold keep it in for when I add my Gerbings heated liner. I hardly ever use the quilted fleece liner.

Cycleport Pants (Mesh)- I have two types. One is a matching mesh over pants. I use more for commuting to work, so that when I get there I can take them off and be in work pants. The liners are a pain in the a**, but do keep me dry and warmer.

Cycleport Pants (Mesh front/kevlar jean style). These are not meant to be over pants or meant to use with liners. I ride with either basketball shorts or LD comfort gear underneath. I like these the best and when off the bike, I don't feel like the Michelin Man. :) They have a much more jean look and one can blend in better when with the rest of the world when not on the bike. With them being Cycleport the protection is better than anything else (my opinion). :)

Gloves- Gerbings T5 when cold, Tourmaster leather for fall and Tourmaster mesh when hot out.

Boots- Tourmaster Response SC - Great boot, but can get warm when temps are near triple digits.

Dave

If you don't want to read, that's fine; you don't have to be an ass Mr. 22 Posts. <_<

I did answer.....please don't trim the part that is more pertinent to the context.

I do appreciate your response very, very much, and your write-up was very, very helpful.
I am chastised.

Peace? [extends olive branch and/or white flag]

Anyway, you didn't say whether you had the heated vest wired to the Darien or not, so I was just trying to clarify. Your write-up doesn't say either way.

I really do appreciate your responses and your write-up. I only have 22 posts because I've only had an FJR for a month and only joined fjrforum about a month ago. So far, everyone (yes, everyone) has been very helpful on the forum. I'm grateful.

wow... mr 8,589 posts...

i think our new guy was only seeking to better understand...

I wear Held Thrux gloves, Oxtar boots, Olympia GT Air Jacket and Moto X pants along with my Suomy helmet. It may not be the most expense stuff out there, but I like it.

Rick

wow... mr 8,589 posts...

i think our new guy was only seeking to better understand...
However, he keeps demonstrating a habit of not reading the material and asking questions already answered. I guess I'll just stop sharing tidbits with those that think that's pedantic, extend a white flag, and then do it all over again. :)

Meanwhile, I guess I have to modify my article to cover whether I have bedazzled my Stich with rhinestones and studs....since I don't actually say whether I have or not on that particular point. I wonder if I did or not? :huh:

RoncoStud1.jpg

Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece, Aerostitch elkskin gloves, RF-1000 helmet, BMW boots.

Roadcrafter. The best article of clothing I've ever purchased. Mine is 17 years old now and I've replaced the velcro and zippers once. The rest of the suit is original. Must have +170,000 miles on it minimum, from 19F to 112F plus snow, hail, and torrential rain. 40,000 miles commuting in London year round including salt in the winter.

For rain gear (the 'Stitch isn't perfect), I have a set of $10 throw away Sterns yellow plastic suit from Academy. I put it on when I see that I have to. Also works pretty well as an emergency wind break in sub-freezing weather

I don't bother with water proof gloves. I see no point. The elkskin is both tough (per a bunch of testing) and comfortable. I get about 40,000 miles per set.

I've worn out several Shoie's the hard way, they work so I won't change. The most important point with a helmet is get one that fits. I have a Shoei head but not a Nolan head.

The BMW boots were on sale. They have lasted as long as my 'Stitch with only annual maintenance. Cost a shitload initially ($275 on sale??) but $$/year is now minimal.

Buy the best, probably more than you figure you can afford at the time. It's paid off for me.