Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody,

The waiting list for the third batch of Relay Harnesses has been updated. For the 2nd generation owners, I haven't seen the new "recall"switch yet. I do not know what has been changed, so if you want to wait a week or two and see, I understand. You will not be removed from the list unless you ask to be removed.

Da List - #3

Brodie

Hey everybody,The waiting list for the third batch of Relay Harnesses has been updated. For the 2nd generation owners, I haven't seen the new "recall"switch yet. I do not know what has been changed, so if you want to wait a week or two and see, I understand. You will not be removed from the list unless you ask to be removed.

Da List - #3

Brodie
Thanks Brodie. Just let me know when you have it ready to go and I'll PAYPAL you the money.

Brodie,Please take me off the the list. Thanks
sgoat

I'm sorry, in the rush to update the list last night I mistakenly put your name on it. The list has been adjusted as requested.

Brodie,Having not read all the pages in this topic, a quick scan along with Mama Yama's recall notice has me wondering. Seems this ignition problem is more of a Gen II phenom. Does it make sense to install one of your harnesses on my 05' ? Thanks in advance for your (or anyone elses) input.
To answer your question, the majority of bikes reported on this forum as having ignition switch problems are from the year 2006 and 2007. Since your bike is pre 2006 you may want to check out flying junior's adventures a few days back with the ignition switch on his 2004 bike - it failed while he was passing cars on a very un-forgiving stretch of freeway here in the greater SF Bay area. clicky

Looking back at the 80 some people I built harnesses for, several of them own the first generation FJR. They report that my harness will plug right in. If you find, after researching this a bit more, that you want to install a relay I will be happy to build you one, or you can build one yourself - I posted all the information you need to do so. clicky

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie,

Thanks for getting back to me. For now, I'll keep the harness on my short list and do a bit more research concerning Gen 1 applications. Again, thank you so much for all your hard work and innovation.

It's a good idea for Gen I's also-as it relieves the load on the ign switch-never a world beater on any Yammis since day 1. The reduction of heat as contacts age is certain to extend the life of the switch.

I've been looking at the digital guard dawg RFID Keyless Ignition Module. Would this system still work with the "Brodie relay"?
My insurance company wouldn't cover theft if the steering lock wasn't engaged ...
Could you explain more? I'm confused about the connection between the RFID module and the steering lock. (And as a side question, how would the insurance company know that the steering lock hadn't been engaged?)

There is no connection between the RFID security unit and a steering lock. The RFID simply enables the ignition voltage when the matching frequency is in the area. The only points of the RFID are that it allows the bike to start and run without a key and the RFID unit may make it harder to hot wire.

If a bike has the steering locked and it is stolen the only way the turd thief can use the motorcycle is to have a key or rip out the lock mechanism. Should the bike be recovered, the ignition switch would be ripped out to unlock the steering. If the steering is unlocked the thief can hotwire the bike and simply ride off. There are some gray areas where it would be hard for the Bobbies to know if the steering was locked or not.

Brodie,

I write software so letting me near the soldering station at work is a recipe for disaster. :rolleyes:

Please add my name to the next batch of relays.

There is no connection between the RFID security unit and a steering lock. The RFID simply enables the ignition voltage when the matching frequency is in the area. The only points of the RFID are that it allows the bike to start and run without a key and the RFID unit may make it harder to hot wire.
If a bike has the steering locked and it is stolen the only way the turd thief can use the motorcycle is to have a key or rip out the lock mechanism. Should the bike be recovered, the ignition switch would be ripped out to unlock the steering. If the steering is unlocked the thief can hotwire the bike and simply ride off. There are some gray areas where it would be hard for the Bobbies to know if the steering was locked or not.
Now I see the light. :blink:

Brodie, please add me to the next available list. It will be interesting to see the design of the new switch. Regardless, I think your modification is brilliant! Thanks for helping us all out.

Just installed the Brodie Fix on my 2005 FJR. It was No Big deal! You do have to lift the tank quite high to get underneath the rubber shield behind the steering head, but the plug in is plug and play. The bike started right up after adding the Brodie fix to the system.

Never had an ignition failure, just figure it's just good insurance. I'll feel safer now at the end of a work day, or while drifting further away from home, that the bike will start or not leave me stranded.

Great idea there Brodie!

Well, as I'm waiting for a battery from bikeeffects, I figured it was a good time to finally get off my ass and install Brodie's relay. Busted the bike's cherry, and pulled the tank for the first time. Had to pull the heat shield, and t-bar. The factory connector was a bitch to disconnect. Brodie's harness plugged right in. Great piece of engineering.

Also ran some wiring under the tank for a radio, horns, barrier strip, etc., while I had the tank off. Used the NAPA asphalt heat shielding someone recommended. Then I buttoned her back up.

Hopefully, when the battery arrives, all will be good and she'll start right up. No issues with my switch (yet), but wanted to the the relay installed.

Anyone have an average delivery time to the east coast for bikeeffects batteries? Couldn't source one locally as its "an odd size" battery.

...Also ran some wiring under the tank ... Used the NAPA asphalt heat shielding someone recommended...
I'm not sure what this heat shielding is, but if it's a sleeve over the wire, be warned that a wire is rated for a certain current with ventilation. If air can't move round it, it will get very hot at its nominal rated current.

Counter-intuitive perhaps, but it's better just prevented from touching very hot parts rather than totally thermally insulated. If it runs between the tank and the under-tank heat shield then it'll be fine.

I've been looking at the digital guard dawg RFID Keyless Ignition Module. Would this system still work with the "Brodie relay"?
My insurance company wouldn't cover theft if the steering lock wasn't engaged ...
Could you explain more? I'm confused about the connection between the RFID module and the steering lock. (And as a side question, how would the insurance company know that the steering lock hadn't been engaged?)
If it's keyless ignition, it implies you don't use a key (otherwise what's the point?), so you would leave the steering lock disengaged when parked.

As for them knowing, if it was stolen then recovered after being crashed, assuming the police did their job properly (admittedly unlikely for a mere motorcycle theft unless someone got killed), it would be obvious that it had been modified. And the insurance company would be very interested.

Of course, here in the UK, the bike is supplied with an immobilizer with a coded transponder in the key. It won't easily hot wire anyway..