Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be precise, you can't just remove the relay. You would have to remove the entire wiring harness and connect the original connectors together.
Thought that this went without saying -- easy to unplug the new harness and connect the original connectors. Thanks for making it clear to everyone for sure.

But BwanaDik does have a good question...relays are pretty much bullet proof...Is there any reason to believe otherwise...
There are no guarantees in life but any automotive grade should be highly robust. Automotive relays withstand higher temperatures and they are significantly more shock/vibration resistant than a standard relay. The high amp relay that Brodie is using should have contacts that are extremely durable and not pit, erode or self-weld. I wouldn't worry about one of the relays in the Brodie Bypass failing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie,

I would like one also if you please. Just let me know and Paypal will be on its way. Thanks for your work.

Received the harness 3 days ago. Thanks Brodie ! Make sure you include your FJRforum name when you complete the paypal order; otherwise no Tootsie-Roll treat included. Bike is at dealer now for ignition recall.

Terrebandit asked a very timely question in a PM to me. He gave me permission to post it here...

Brodie,
Now that the switches have been recalled by Yamaha, is there any reason to have this? I wanted your input.

Dave
Here was my answer...

Hi Dave
From what I know after reading the posts here on the forum, Yamaha is replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch with a new circuit board and possibly a new plastic cross shaped floating contact carrier with wiper plates. It may be that the embossed wiper elements (if supplied) will have a new shape that presents a larger contact surface with the circuit board. I don't know - nobody knows yet, the first recall switches have yet to be installed.

My ignition relay harness fits between the 50 amp main fuse living next to the battery, and the ignition switch in the middle of the top triple clamp. It's only function is to take over the high amperage switching load from the ignition switch. The ignition switch still has two circuits to activate, the low amp signal from one of the various electrical modules (red connector), and the milliamp load it takes to trigger the relay (white connector). All the potential resistance (heat) has been taken out of the ignition switch.

You have a decision to make...

Do you think Yamaha's recall fix will be sufficient to last the service life of the bike?

Or do you want to add the extra protection a sealed relay will give to the ignition circuit?

I can't answer that for you.

I will say my bike's switch failed due to resistance heating and melting the plastic carrier for the wiping switch contact. I built the Ignition Switch Relay Harness to perform as described. However, I have an appointment with my dealer service department when my recall switch parts come in.

I will not take your name off the list until you ask me, and I'm willing to wait several weeks for you to consider your options. Do me a favor and let me know either way.

Thank you for considering my Relay Harness.

Brodie

I have made 130 units so far and have a stake in how this recall comes out. My hope is that Yamaha fixed this problem for good, however, I think a relay in the works adds an extra facet of reliability for the bike.

As long as there is a demand, I will continue to make these ignition relay harnesses for the foreseeable future.

Brodie
I just joined this forum recently and, upon reading this thread, consider your harness to be excellent preventative maintenance for possible ignition switch failures. If you are still making them, I'd like very much to buy one from you. Thanks for providing this service.

That is unless you make up a jumper to be plugged in, in place of the removed relay...
I think it would be easier to just carry along a spare relay in that case. But if you find yourself in that situation without a spare or jumper, then you could remove the entire Brodie harness assembly and put it back to stock.

But BwanaDik does have a good question. I've always assumed that relays are pretty much bullet proof - can't recall the last time I've had one go out on a vehicle, if ever? Is there any reason to believe otherwise, especially since Brodie is using the largest amperage relay available?
Now this really going off the deep end. I have a Brodie relay in place to solve the ignition-failure problem, but are you seriously suggesting that the relay might fail, so I should maybe carry a spare relay? Or wire in a bypass? There are how many relays on the bike? Each one might fail; should we carry a spare for each? And without testing it in place, the spare might be bad, so should we carry two spares for each? Alternatively should we install bypass switches for each relay? And should we carry spare tires with us in case we get a blowout that can't be fixed with a plug or patch? And should we carry a spare alternator (or maybe two) in case that goes bad? And spare wheel bearings (and the associated tools--and don't forget the spare tools in case a tool breaks--to change them) in case a wheel bearing goes? (Or maybe two spares each in case one of the new spare bearings is bad?) And a spare battery--or two--in case it suddenly and catastrophically fails? And maybe two spare flashers in case I have a problem and have to park on the side of the road and the flasher fails?

Probably we should never leave our driveways without a follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR. And really maybe a spare follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR in case something happens to the first follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR or in case the spare FJR won't start.

Where does it end? At some point you have to hitch up your genitalia and actually head out and ride. Maybe something will break. But probably it won't.

That is unless you make up a jumper to be plugged in, in place of the removed relay...
I think it would be easier to just carry along a spare relay in that case... I've always assumed that relays are pretty much bullet proof - can't recall the last time I've had one go out on a vehicle, if ever...
Now this really going off the deep end blah, blah blah

Blather, blather, blather.

Prattle, prattle, prattle. Maybe something will break. But probably it won't.
I thought you Kali4na guys were able to get out and ride... :lol:

And, three posts to same the same thing!

Ha-Ha! Palerider, that was classic. If all of you guys worried about all this stuff are that paranoid, why in the world do you guys ride motorcycles? There is way more risk of some cellphone-yakking cager turning in front of you than a relay ever failing. Just go ride.

I think it would be easier to just carry along a spare relay in that case... I've always assumed that relays are pretty much bullet proof - can't recall the last time I've had one go out on a vehicle, if ever...
Now this really going off the deep end blah, blah blah

Blather, blather, blather.

Prattle, prattle, prattle. Maybe something will break. But probably it won't.
I thought you Kali4na guys were able to get out and ride... :lol:
I can't. The ignition might fail.

:dribble:

Now this really is going off the deep end. ...Probably we should never leave our driveways...This is creeping weenie-dom.
No, maybe you shouldn't leave your dirveway... <_< Better yet, if all us weenies are making your life so unbearable, just put down the mouse and walk away. Geebus.

Now this really is going off the deep end. ...Probably we should never leave our driveways...This is creeping weenie-dom.
No, maybe you shouldn't leave your dirveway... <_< Better yet, if all us weenies are making your life so unbearable, just put down the mouse and walk away. Geebus.
What's a dirveway?

... so I should maybe carry a spare relay? Or wire in a bypass? There are how many relays on the bike? Each one might fail; should we carry a spare for each? And without testing it in place, the spare might be bad, so should we carry two spares for each? Alternatively should we install bypass switches for each relay? And should we carry spare tires with us in case we get a blowout that can't be fixed with a plug or patch? And should we carry a spare alternator (or maybe two) in case that goes bad? And spare wheel bearings (and the associated tools--and don't forget the spare tools in case a tool breaks--to change them) in case a wheel bearing goes? (Or maybe two spares each in case one of the new spare bearings is bad?) And a spare battery--or two--in case it suddenly and catastrophically fails? And maybe two spare flashers in case I have a problem and have to park on the side of the road and the flasher fails?
Probably we should never leave our driveways without a follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR. And really maybe a spare follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR in case something happens to the first follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR or in case the spare FJR won't start...

I should think 2 pair of roller skates would take up less room. :p

I think it would be easier to just carry along a spare relay in that case. But if you find yourself in that situation without a spare or jumper, then you could remove the entire Brodie harness assembly and put it back to stock.

But BwanaDik does have a good question. I've always assumed that relays are pretty much bullet proof - can't recall the last time I've had one go out on a vehicle, if ever? Is there any reason to believe otherwise, especially since Brodie is using the largest amperage relay available?
Now this really going off the deep end. I have a Brodie relay in place to solve the ignition-failure problem, but are you seriously suggesting that the relay might fail, so I should maybe carry a spare relay? Or wire in a bypass? There are how many relays on the bike? Each one might fail; should we carry a spare for each? And without testing it in place, the spare might be bad, so should we carry two spares for each? Alternatively should we install bypass switches for each relay? And should we carry spare tires with us in case we get a blowout that can't be fixed with a plug or patch? And should we carry a spare alternator (or maybe two) in case that goes bad? And spare wheel bearings (and the associated tools--and don't forget the spare tools in case a tool breaks--to change them) in case a wheel bearing goes? (Or maybe two spares each in case one of the new spare bearings is bad?) And a spare battery--or two--in case it suddenly and catastrophically fails? And maybe two spare flashers in case I have a problem and have to park on the side of the road and the flasher fails?

Probably we should never leave our driveways without a follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR. And really maybe a spare follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR in case something happens to the first follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR or in case the spare FJR won't start.

Where does it end? At some point you have to hitch up your genitalia and actually head out and ride. Maybe something will break. But probably it won't.

You have it exactly right Palerider....some people just sit around dramatizing about problems that don't exist or problems that have such a low probability of occurring that it's not worth the effort. A bunch of friggin' worry warts. Holy Crap!! "The sky is falling!!!" Maybe everyone with PCIIIs should run out now and get a spare....you never know...just in case...I want to be prepared...Puke.

The reason people are paranoid about these failing is because a number of them have experienced this problem with the switch.

Hey, ignition switches don't fail often (on other bikes) either. But when it does fail, or if the Brodie relay failed, unlike any of the other relays or switches on the motorcycle, you are up shits creek without a paddle. You either start jury-rigging (if you know how) or you start walking.

Any time you make modifications to the electrical system, even one as well thought out as the Brodie Bypass Relay, that mod is far more apt to fail than the original circuit that went through full design validation and verification. And yet the stock switches are failing. So is it really all that foolish to have a plan in place to back out the modification?

As someone else has already suggested, if this concern seems to be "over the top" to you, then why don't you just quit reading the posts in those thread(s). Why it should bother you so much that other people want to take steps to ensure that they will not be stranded by a known defect is the harder thing to understand.

... so I should maybe carry a spare relay? Or wire in a bypass? There are how many relays on the bike? Each one might fail; should we carry a spare for each? And without testing it in place, the spare might be bad, so should we carry two spares for each? Alternatively should we install bypass switches for each relay? And should we carry spare tires with us in case we get a blowout that can't be fixed with a plug or patch? And should we carry a spare alternator (or maybe two) in case that goes bad? And spare wheel bearings (and the associated tools--and don't forget the spare tools in case a tool breaks--to change them) in case a wheel bearing goes? (Or maybe two spares each in case one of the new spare bearings is bad?) And a spare battery--or two--in case it suddenly and catastrophically fails? And maybe two spare flashers in case I have a problem and have to park on the side of the road and the flasher fails?
Probably we should never leave our driveways without a follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR. And really maybe a spare follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR in case something happens to the first follow-along pickup and trailer carrying a spare FJR or in case the spare FJR won't start...

I should think 2 pair of roller skates would take up less room. :p
As a salute to you, sir, I've coined a new verb: "to brodie." Definition: to cleverly engineer an unofficial but high-quality, long-term fix for a mechanical problem. It's similar to "to macgyver," but I think of macgyver-type fixes as temporary.

Brodie - Got my relay today, thanks. I had my switch recall done on Friday and will install your relay tomorrow. Oh yea, thanks for the Tootsie Rolls!

Ride safe brother-

But when it does fail, or if the Brodie relay failed, unlike any of the other relays or switches on the motorcycle, you are up shits creek without a paddle.
That's not true, :glare: if the Brodie (70amp) relay would fail (which is not likely) the igniton switch would function by unplugging the Brodie relay harness and go on. :rolleyes: